Scratching noise in B Pillar

Chickenhawk

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
When coming to a stop, I can hear a scratching noise coming from behind me, just above head level, in the B Pillar. It sounds like a tiny cat scratching to get in to the house. (Best description I could think of.) I am not sure if it only makes this noise at slow speeds or while stopped, or if it makes it all the time but gets masked by road noise while driving. It is very faint (but annoying.)

The interesting thing is that I do NOT have auto HVAC in my truck, so there can't be a cabin air temperature sensor there. Is there a small fan in there even on manual HVAC trucks? It does sound like the bearings on a really tiny motor are going.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Do you even have the screen there? If you don't I would say there's no sensor...so, you may have to pull the pillar and drive with it off to see what's going on.

Ziggy

Feb 8, 2015
About the only thing you can do is try to note specifically the conditions that the noise occurs, and start taking stuff apart. You mentioned it occurs when coming to a stop; is it every stop? One specific stop sign/light? When it occurs, what is the orientation of the truck, front end higher than rear, lower than rear, level ground? Have someone ride with you, or drive the truck for you, so you can sit in the back and listen for the noise without having to pay attention to the road. Vehicle acoustics are funny sometimes, especially when you're trying to find a noise that seems to be coming from behind your head. The more specific you can get with the circumstances surrounding when the condition presents, the more likely you are to be able to diagnose the issue.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Prolly a mouse.

Reactions: Capote

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Pull the B pillar cover and check. There might still be one in there. The one in my TB (with auto HVAC) sounds like you describe when it's below -20C. Probably a failing bearing in the fan's sensor.

Even if you don't have auto HVAC, interior temperature sensor could be used for something else.

Chickenhawk

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I haven't looked at it yet, but is there an easy way to pull off the B pillar cover? I have a blade for removing the door trim panels. Are there any in the side trim? Anyone popped one off?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
B pillar trim panels are held in by clips. Once you get your tool under the rubber seal, just pry until they pop loose.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Tool? What tool? I just wedge my fingers under and pull.

Reactions: Denali n DOO

Chickenhawk

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
It appears the scratching noise was the metal clip from the panel rubbing against its slot on the door frame. A piece of Gorilla duct tape fixed it.

To paraphrase the great philosopher Homer: "Duct tape: is there ANYTHING it can't do?"

Ziggy

Feb 8, 2015
It appears the scratching noise was the metal clip from the panel rubbing against its slot on the door frame. A piece of Gorilla duct tape fixed it.

To paraphrase the great philosopher Homer: "Duct tape: is there ANYTHING it can't do?"
Thanks for checking back in with an update on what you found!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls