Scangauge Alternative

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
I am in the market for something a bit more permanent to run in place of my torque app and old phone. I know the Scangauge II is a recommended choice, however I see that there is an alternative called Ultragauge. Now has anyone here used one or seen one. I prefer the larger screen and cheaper price point, I also see that it covers a wide array of gauges. Just wondering if anyone can give me a reason to not purchase one.

Tofer76

Dec 8, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
I am in the market for something a bit more permanent to run in place of my torque app and old phone. I know the Scangauge II is a recommended choice, however I see that there is an alternative called Ultragauge. Now has anyone here used one or seen one. I prefer the larger screen and cheaper price point, I also see that it covers a wide array of gauges. Just wondering if anyone can give me a reason to not purchase one.

i have one and its pretty nice w lots of stuff but it lacks a few key gauges.....tranny temp, volts, and it doesn't accurately measure the fuel tank as the sender doesn't send a sig to the obd 2 port
however it is a nice addition and you can have up to 8 gauges on 1 screen and like 7 diff screens also readouts codes and clears them too

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Funny is your thread about the trans temp sensor had me start looking online. Might have to see what other options are available then.

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Found something interesting while reading some forums, apparently UltraGuage has been testing a working trans temp software upgrade. However it works on very few vehicles GM, Ford and several others were mentioned. I am going to call Monday and see what the word is on the enhanced beta software.

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Monday did come, phone number seems non existent for them. Also never got a response to 3 emails. Stopped worry g about it at that point. Been back to using torque with my Bionic.

bobdec

Apr 19, 2013
Just for trivia.. helps understand scanner display differences. Scanners read PID's (Parameter ID's) from the ECM/PCM. There is a public list of standardized PID's defined by an SAE Standard for all OBD2 vehicles. And there are free publicized lists of Manufacture Standard PID's (EG: Torque App has a GM standard PID list). However there are also lists of non-standard Manufacture/model only defined PID's that are NOT published. I read once that GM charges something like $50K a year to subscribe to that list. Since things like RPM or Coolant temp are standard OBD2 PID's they are displayed on any OBD2 scanner. If it's a GM only PID like transmission temp then you need a scanner with the GM standard PID's to display it. However if the PID is non-standard propitiatory then only the scanner companies that pay the $$ to subscribe to the manufacture's list will have it. As an example Knock Retard is on standard GM PID list for some vehicles, but is non-standard PID for my '07 Envoy. That's part of the reason why company's like HP Tuners, EFILive have to charge $$$ for their year/manufacture/model specific software. Also why expensive scanners may have more display info.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I assume that's why the Tech II can do things that others can't.

bobdec

Apr 19, 2013
That plus ability to access other modules besides PCM and 'actuator capability' software that can go directly into the PCM/ECM and make on the fly changes like turning on a relay or solenoid. Things like turning on/off closed loop, EGR, air pump, AC, fan, etc. , altering idle speed, That linked with exceptional scan capability to view just about everything makes analysis a lot faster and more accurate. Below is a pic of a 'free' tool I use on my '94 Z28 . It was developed by a forum member, would love to see something like this for our stuff..

[URL=http://s298.photobucket.com/user/bobdec01/media/actuators_zpsc780a023.jpg.html] [/URL]

Meltdown211

Dec 4, 2011
Aeroforce interceptor is the best multifunction gauge out there. It literally monitors hundreds of functions; Trans temp, IAT's, boost, coolant, oil pressure, fuel pressure, DTC's, case relearn, everything and anything.

Best part? It plugs directly into your ODBII port..easy as it gets.

AbsoluteZero

Nov 21, 2011
I've got both an Aeroforce and a Scangauge. Like life, there's compromises. The Scangauge wouldn't read transmission temperatures in the wife's SRX (5 speed). Initially the Aeroforce unit wouldn't either but working with the folks at Aeroforce they eventually came up with a fix. I will say they were very responsive.
Some differences:
The Scangauge's rectangular forum factor makes mounting more of a challenge. The Aeroforce unit fit's a standard gauge enclosure.
The Aeroforce unit must be purchased (or did, I haven't reviewed their website lately) for the protocol being used, namely CANS or VPM. The Scangauge works on either.
Aeroforce can perform CASE relearn and I recall, do some bi-direction control but I'd have to verify what. Scangauge doesn't.
Aeroforce cost more but does more.
Scangauge can display 4 paraments. Aeroforce displays 2 but can be set to cycle thru 8 (I recall) I pick 2 for display.
Both can be clucky to cycle thru all the choices on setup. If you don't do it often keep the manual handy.
Either can be good choices, depending on your needs.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online