Scan Tool ?

BG3

Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
Pittsburgh
Hello -
Does anyone have any recommendations on a reasonably priced Scan tool? I would like to be able to troubleshoot ABS issues, ect.
I know there are some older threads about these, but since technology keeps changing - I would like to see what's new.

Thanks
BG3

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Reactions: Capote and Blckshdw

BG3

Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
Pittsburgh
Hey thanks for the warm welcome! Don't worry I wont "Clutter" your forum. Believe it or not, I was asking for my Trailblazer, so it was related to the vehicles listed.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Welcome to the Nation!

Most scan tools aren't specific to models or brands, except for very specialized ones like the Tech 2, which only works for GM vehicles.

Thread moved to proper section.

m.mcmillen

Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
How much are you looking to spend? I just bought a Launch X431 Pro 3 for $2,000. I bought mine from Napa but they can be bought a bit cheaper online (aeswave.com). This one came with two years of updates and I was able to buy locally which I like to do when I can.

You could also check out autoenginuity.com I have used this one before and it works pretty good. You'd be looking at around $480 for near GM OE coverage.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
For most DIY'ers, a Bluetooth OBD II adapter with Torque is the best bang for the buck. For the ability of reading more codes like ABS, SRS, Body, etc., get the Car Gauge Pro app. Still cheaper than anything else.

For Apple fan boys, get a Wifi OBD adapter and Torque for IOS. Haven't heard much about this setup though.

shovenose

Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
torque for android is great, ugly interface but good otherwise. i use an obdlink lx which i bought off amazon with the obdlink app as it's much nicer and quicker but i use torque when i need some additional feature obdlink's app doesn't offer.

there are cheaper obd2 bluetooth adapters than the obdlink lx but some of the generic ones have quality, connection, or refresh rate issues.

BG3

Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
Pittsburgh
Thanks everyone for your input - I was only planning on spending a few hundred dollars. Luckily I haven't needed one all that often. If I said a $200 limit - does anyone think the Innova 3100 series is worth the money?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Any of those is overpriced. A Bluetooth adapter with Torque, max $40. It will do more than you'll ever need. If you need even more like ABS, SRS,etc, there's Car Gauge Pro. I never recommended any of those wired expensive units.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online