Scan tool Vs torque app. Opinions?

mntb

Original poster
Mar 18, 2016
minnesota
I'm getting sick of having to make a trip to the parts store to have engine codes read.
I'm looking for some opinions on one or both items.

I'm looking at getting the torque(or similar) app/obd2 plug in or a scanner from harbor freight. I'm looking at a Cen-Tech® - Item#60693. The scanner tool is $70 now but normally it's $145.
To me, both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Ive never used either so I don't know what to expect. I'm mainly looking for something to read/clear codes. If I could simply leave one plugged in and possibly give me live readings for those issues that only happen when driving (havent had any yet but I'm sure I will sooner or later). I use my phone's navigation for work a lot, so that is one disadvantage to the app amount others. I'm not looking for something fancy or anything. I would need to use either one on more than one vehicle also. Not looking to spend a lot of money on something like this. Just getting tired of having to go to one of 5 different parts stores around me to read codes. At least one location their code reader is either broke or it was stolen. It's happened before where none were available to read codes.

Thanks in advance

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You would be way more ahead with a Bluetooth adapter and Torque for a lot less money. And you can even scan body/ABS/SRS codes using the Car Gauge Pro app on Android so even more functionality there. I do prefer Torque for everyday monitoring and powertrain code scanning.

Reactions: Mounce and Blckshdw

FearlessAZ

Jun 7, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
X2 on the Bluetooth route. I use it in my SHO and my TB. And like Moose stated, you will save a lot more money and have more uses.

Also, if you have a tablet (works on phone as well but more room), you can set up a custom gauge set up to monitor various things. We do this on the SHOs quite a bit to monitor various things on our tunes and way cheaper than adding physical gauges.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I have both Torque Pro and the HF 60794.
Torque - I like this a lot, and you can run it along with navigation at the same time (although you can't see both on the screen at the same time, of course). Get a decent OBDII adapter, or you'll have trouble connecting.

The HF scanner - I had purchased the 60794 specifically for the ABS capability (I had a 2003 Explorer at the time, and those things eat wheel bearings for breakfast / lunch / dinner). Unfortunately, it could not read the ABS protocol, and it was supposed to be compatible.

On my Voy, I had a CEL about a week after I bought it - and the 60794 was able to read the code right off - I found out what it meant online (it was a transient issue with the fan clutch speed, and hasn't come up again since, two years later). It can also record drive info and play it back (although I haven't done much with this, and when I've tried, haven't seen much of value.

Since I couldn't read the ABS info with the 60794 (and it was the only one that could, IIRC), yours looks to do most all of the same as the one I have (and you get a color display, if you like that) - plus it's cheaper.

It's the best scanner I have - it's not in the same league as the Tech II or the good SnapOn readers, etc - but (with the exception of the ABS, which it apparently can't read on the Voy, either), it does what I want.

If I want to monitor my trans temp while I'm driving - I use Torque.
If I'm diagnosing (or searching for any undisplayed / 'pending' codes), I'll plug in the Centech. They both have their uses, IMO.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Even if you buy the Bluetooth adapter, torque pro and car gauge pro you'll still be at least 30$ ahead of the game. I bought a tech 2 clone and rarely use it other than diagnosing issues. I use torque for code reading and just monitoring.

shovenose

Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
I am very pleased with my Bosch 1350 from O'Reilly. I also have an OBDLink OBD2 Bluetooth thingy and for reading codes that's convenient, but the Bosch scantool can do more manufacturer-specific stuff (such as a CMP Retard on my Suburban which is why I bought it) and it's just handy not to have to worry about dropping my smartphone or getting it dirty lol.

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
I say Torque pro and Car gauge pro is the way to go unless you need Tech 2 or similar capabilities. I have computer software and USB interface for more in depth things but I can't remember the last time I've had to use it.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I was real close to buying an Ultragauge but decided to just go with the old droid and torque since it only costs a $5 adapter and I got 3 of them. Figure it will work great for the car.

I have a scangauge mounted in truck, but would go with Ultragauge if buying a stand alone unit again.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online