Santa brought me saws.

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
Was felling an old tree outside of my sister's place. And the old fellow from across the street brought me these two saws. He said "if you can fix them, you can have them."

Chime in if you know about Stihl saws.

028 AV 16" bar.
stihl1.JPG

MS 310 18" bar.
stihl2.JPG

Last edited:

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
I'm slowly taking apart the Wood Boss. Spark plug has never been fired. The owner probably had trouble getting it to run, a new plug didn't fix it so he bought a new saw.

I'm thinking about adding some oil into the spark plug hole. The cylinder walls look undamaged.

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
Parts are getting washed in the kitchen sink.
stihl8.JPG

The camera made this piston scoring look 100 times worse. By eyeballing, I saw almost no damage. There's is a small carbon smudge (lower left.) I lightly ran a screwdriver over the scuff mark and could not feel scoring.
stihl7.JPG

There's oil saturated sawdust everywhere, but under that far right torx screw, I thought I saw water. This was disassembled and cleaned with electronic cleaner spray.
stihl6.JPG

Here's where the rubber intake tube, from the carb, attaches to the jug (under the hose clamp.) See the big gap? Looks like a probable vacuum leak. I pulled this apart and will try to reinstall it square.
stihl5.JPG

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Most likely need to replace fuel lines and possibly rebuild carburetor(s). That is assuming these are older saws. Ethanol destroys the fuel hoses and carb gaskets etc.

Reactions: coolride

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
I understand that the age of the saw is revealed in the serial number. I'll have to google it. These are the numbers on the gas tank. It's all I can find.
stihl9.JPG

Last edited:

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
stihl10.JPG
In an email, I sent my serial number to Stihl asking for info. This is my reply.

"Ah, the reason I can’t pull it up is because it is an 028. Our serial number system only goes back to the mid 90’s. The 028 AV was produced between 1979-1980."

Best regards,

Trey Vickery

Technical Service Representative

STIHL Inc.

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
I was surprised to learn that it's a 40 year old saw.👍

The carb was bone dry inside and out. After many pulls on the starter cord, it stayed bone dry. It probably needs a rebuild but I'll soak everything in fresh gas for awhile. Maybe that will swell the seals and get it working.
stihl11.JPG

The good news...It has lots of compression.
stihl12.JPG

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Very cool! I love saws but really do not know much about them. Its amazing how long you can keep them running by just keeping them somewhat clean. Good luck on them!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online

No members online now.