Sais issues with the plastic clamp for hose

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
While under my truck changing encoder motor. I noticed the vacuum sounding pump when u start truck bad a hose loose

Plastic ring connector is broke. So I go to dealer and there telling me to fix that I have to buy the entire hose assembly from the air pump thing to valvles for 135 dollars to fix this little plastic thing

Anyone know if duct tape will hold up. Or where to get this plastic part.

uploadfromtaptalk1426102673082.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1426102696207.jpg

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
Fortunately, I'm pretty sure that's the vacuum side of the pump so it should never see pressure. Personally I'd just gorilla tape it (holds up better than duct tape IMO) and a few zipties should keep it in place. :thumbsup: Definitely NOT worth the cost of a entire new hose.

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
That's what I was leaning towards

Could that leaking cause bank 1 lean code?? Going on and off by itself causing idle rpm to jump to 900-1000

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
BlazingTrails said:
If I can figure out how to get mine out from behind the engine you can have it for the cost of shipping. I have not really tried yet but it looked tight back there. I tuned mine out so I don't need it.
Hose connection on mine is right there easy to access once you crawl under driver seat. As to how it comes off or disconnects from house I'm not sure
If you meant entire hose assembly don't waste your time looks too hard too figure where and how it's routed to passenger side of engine etc.

Really appreciate the thought though thanks

How did you tune that out. Probably not something worth me doing at 214k miles is it

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
So I taped up and zipped hose now the pump is sounding all crazy and will just come on randomly while driving has higher pitched wine that changes louder and higher then lower quieter

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
What is this pump pumping and where too what tells it to turn on like what conditions need to be met for it to get signal to go

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
jeffro312 said:
What is this pump pumping and where too what tells it to turn on like what conditions need to be met for it to get signal to go
It is my understanding the it only comes on for about 30 seconds when you first start your truck. Somehow it helps warm the catalytic converter faster.

Reactions: Mounce

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
It's pumping air from the intake tube into an orifice right above the exhaust manifold. Said orifice has solenoid on it that actuates a valve and that valve is the common failure point for the system.

You can get a block-off plate for the orifice (lime-swap website has them, can also be found on certain year models at junk yards) and remove the system entirely but then you'll be staring at the check engine light until you tune it out.

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
So I'll try not to be a post whore here and get warned again and get all my thoughts into one post

So assuming since pump sounds funny means its bad looks easy to change should I change it

If my cat is clogged will that effect sais

Besides the noise being gone what is benifit or loss of me deleting the system from truck

Reactions: Zack2003

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
No loss really, it's intended purpose is to warm the cat up quicker so it'll start catalyzing the gasses sooner which will reduce emissions compared to if the exhaust gas heat had to warm it up for a few minutes. So, really, it'll just release negligible amounts of emissions for a few minutes.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
No. Unfortunately I can't recall what years do and don't have the system. All I know is my 04 EXT doesn't have it but other peoples SWB 04's have it.

My opinion is the only way to know whether you have it or not is to look. It's easily spotted.

Look around the intake resonator (the black box on top of the motor that says vortec 4200) if you have it, there will be some contraption right above the exhaust manifold kinda under the intake tube. If you don't have it, there will be nothing there but an oval piece with two bolts going through it right above the exhaust manifold.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScannerHeath

Members Online