Safe to briefly drive without rad fan to determine gas pedal vibration?

welches_fruit_snacks

Original poster
Sep 19, 2015
Hey everyone,

So I just started noticing a very slight vibration in the gas pedal and sometimes floor of my trailblazer. It seems to happen more often than not. I opened up the hood and noticed the radiator fan was a little wobbly when running.

I know other causes for vibration are engine mounts/ trans mounts and they all seem good from a quick inspection.

Can I remove the fan and drive around the block to rule out a faulty fan?

Thanks for your help!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You could but is a PITA to pull out. Instead, I would disconnect it and tie it with a bungee cord to prevent it from turning. If doing it from cold, you should be fine for a short while. You can also use the heater on full to help keep it cool.

Fan wobbles are usually caused by a bad bearing in the clutch or a bad water pump.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
It is hard to make any suggestions for you without knowing the level of comfort and skill set you have ...mechanically speaking. If you have a fully charged battery and can safely remove the Serpentine Belt by inserting a 3/8" drive Ratchet Handle to Belt Tensioner just below and slightly to the right of the Power Steering Pump... You could drive the vehicle without any of the Accessories and Altenator for a short period of time and feel the feedback from the brake pedal from frequent slow braking on the drive. Soon afterwards... the Serpentine Belt would have to be reinstalled and either a Battery Charger used to recharge the Battery...or a 15 to 30 minute drive to refresh its power levels.

These actions should NOT be attempted with the head lights turned on because they would run the Battery down too much.. so only do this test during Daylight Hours. If you notice no issues when braking... investigating the Water Pump, the Electroviscous Fan and the Alternator Bearings for growling and damage would be next. There are an ample number of completed threads here at GMT Nation to follow that others have done very well to follow up with and figure things out.

Last edited:

welches_fruit_snacks

Original poster
Sep 19, 2015
You could but is a PITA to pull out. Instead, I would disconnect it and tie it with a bungee cord to prevent it from turning. If doing it from cold, you should be fine for a short while. You can also use the heater on full to help keep it cool.

Fan wobbles are usually caused by a bad bearing in the clutch or a bad water pump.

Great idea thanks!

welches_fruit_snacks

Original poster
Sep 19, 2015
It is hard to make any suggestions for you without knowing the level of comfort and skill set you have ...mechanically speaking. If you have a fully charged battery and can safely remove the Serpentine Belt by inserting a 3/8" drive Ratchet Handle to Belt Tensioner just below and slightly to the right of the Power Steering Pump... You could drive the vehicle without any of the Accessories and Altenator for a short period of time and feel the feedback from the brake pedal from frequent slow braking on the drive. Soon afterwards... the Serpentine Belt would have to be reinstalled and either a Battery Charger used to recharge the Battery...or a 15 to 30 minute drive to refresh its power levels.

These actions should NOT be attempted with the head lights turned on because they would run the Battery down too much.. so only do this test during Daylight Hours. If you notice no issues when braking... investigating the Water Pump, the Electroviscous Fan and the Alternator Bearings for growling and damage would be next. There are an ample number of completed threads here at GMT Nation to follow that others have done very well to follow up with and figure things out.

Thanks for the suggestion you guys are awesome.

AWD V8

Jan 12, 2015
My concern would be without the water pump turning their is no circulation through the engine. At a cold start, even though the engine is way below operating temp, the water pump is circulating coolant as the engine warms up. Heat is removed from the heads and the block picks up this heat to evenly warm the engine. No circulation means the heads will heat up much quicker than normally and your temp gauge will not pick up on the escalating temp because the coolant won't transfer heat to the sender from the hot spots in the head that quickly. Having the heater on will do nothing for cooling if the coolant isn't moving through the system.

From a cold start, I'd recommend less than 60 seconds of running. So like to the end of the street and back.

IMHO

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
My thinking too. As a standstill test, the belt off is fine for a minute or two but to drive, too risky and without power steering would be a bear to steer.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online