Saab Bankruptcy

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
deepblue said:
Saab Bankruptcy: What Does It Really Mean? - Driver's Seat - WSJ

Dealer told me all warranties have been suspended.

SAAB NORTH AMERICA HAS SUSPENDED PARTS SALES TO DEALERS - EMAIL WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR AND WE WILL LET YOU KNOW IF WE HAVE IT IN STOCK OR IF PARTS AVAILABILITY RESUMES.

Saab website says that GM has agreed to pick up warranties for SAABS 2009 and earlier. That is good news to me, since there are dozens of GM dealers and only two SAAB dealers in MN.

deepblue

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
My Saab dealer indicated the same thing, that GM has picked up the existing warranties for 09 and below. For me, my CPO is still good and work is done by the Saab dealer but processed through GM. :wootwoot:

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
I've still got a lot of warranty left which is one reason I bought the 9-7. I was not happy when the SAAB news came out and that GM wouldn't agree to a Chinese company buying SAAB because they didn't want the Chinese to have GM technology. I am ecstatic that GM is picking up the warranty. The niche brands seem to only have 2 dealers in MN unlike GM that has a ton. Lexus for example here in MN (not that I am comparing to SAAB) has only two dealers in the whole state as well. After driving the SAAB now for a few weeks, and also owning a Rainier now and a Rainier prior to the current one, the SAAB should have sold the most 360's. It is as though it is a completely different vehicle the way it drives.

Simon01

Dec 5, 2011
That is good news that GM is taking care of the warranty issues while they still owned Saab. Since most of the parts are the same as the GMT360 platform you all should be in good shape. The only issue I can see is with trim parts or any Saab-specific parts where there is no more stock.

Busterbrown

Dec 4, 2011
Simon01 said:
That is good news that GM is taking care of the warranty issues while they still owned Saab. Since most of the parts are the same as the GMT360 platform you all should be in good shape. The only issue I can see is with trim parts or any Saab-specific parts where there is no more stock.

:iagree: 9-7x owners shouldn't worry a whole heck of a lot since the platform is quite universal among the brands. Now...being a previous 9-3 owner, I'd be a bit worried about the supply chain with Saab's passanger cars. 2011 9-5 owners are getting a raw deal. :yes::yes:

Busterbrown

Dec 4, 2011
Jkust said:
After driving the SAAB now for a few weeks, and also owning a Rainier now and a Rainier prior to the current one, the SAAB should have sold the most 360's. It is as though it is a completely different vehicle the way it drives.

I don't think that would be the popular vote as a majority of 360's are mall cruisers who don't want such an unforgiving ride. My wife and I drove several 9-7x's last year as we had thought about trading up for a lower mileage vehicle. She hated driving it as it wasn't comfortable for any long commutes. I liked it (true to my male, youthful demographic). But then again, GM's wide target audience in the mid 2000's were "give-me-an-alternative-to-a-minivan".

deepblue

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Simon01 said:
The only issue I can see is with trim parts or any Saab-specific parts where there is no more stock.

Yes, those Saab-specific parts worry me. I don't think there has been a resolution on parts yet with Saab North America.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Busterbrown said:
I don't think that would be the popular vote as a majority of 360's are mall cruisers who don't want such an unforgiving ride. My wife and I drove several 9-7x's last year as we had thought about trading up for a lower mileage vehicle. She hated driving it as it wasn't comfortable for any long commutes. I liked it (true to my male, youthful demographic). But then again, GM's wide target audience in the mid 2000's were "give-me-an-alternative-to-a-minivan".

I suppose but since my wife has the a Rainier which is super cushy, I like to have one on both sides of the spectrum. Maybe a bit unforgiving on the rough through streets but decent on the highway plus the 9-7 provides for superior handling even in every day situations. Also in southern states, their roads are much nicer than us in the north filled with cracks and potholes from the freeze and thaw. The 9-7 reminds me of the ride a sportscar would provide but you don't have to drive a tiny deathtrap to get it. It also blends in with today's crossovers being lower with bigger tires and a lower slung facia.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
deepblue said:
Yes, those Saab-specific parts worry me. I don't think there has been a resolution on parts yet with Saab North America.

Well, there are used parts sites all over but yes the hood, fenders, bumpers, dash, headlights, facia, wheels, certain suspension parts are different. The fact is I wouldn't have bought a SAAB if it wasn't an engineered version of a GM. It was the best of both worlds, good, tried and true engineering with the Eurpoean influenced bits and pieces that you hoped would make it into the Envoy and Trailblazer but didn't.

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
deepblue said:

Yup...big problem. lol

Example - This customer has to drive around with a sub-par repaired bumper because there are no bumpers available, anywhere. (9-7x I'm fixing at work)

2012-01-04114516.jpg

2012-01-04114744.jpg

2012-01-04115353.jpg

I guess the only shining light, is letting the car go with this repaired bumper, and telling the customer we'll put a new one on as soon as it becomes available. That happened to us once before on a 9-7x. The hood was wasted, but since we couldn't get one, we had to repair it as best we could. Then, 3 months later, we finally got a new hood for the vehicle.

Busterbrown

Dec 4, 2011
JosueLT said:
Yup...big problem. lol

Example - This customer has to drive around with a sub-par repaired bumper because there are no bumpers available, anywhere. (9-7x I'm fixing at work)
I guess the only shining light, is letting the car go with this repaired bumper, and telling the customer we'll put a new one on as soon as it becomes available. That happened to us once before on a 9-7x. The hood was wasted, but since we couldn't get one, we had to repair it as best we could. Then, 3 months later, we finally got a new hood for the vehicle.

The 9-7 rear bumper looks identical to an Envoy's...must be sheet metal differences around the wheel well.

Busterbrown

Dec 4, 2011
Jkust said:
I suppose but since my wife has the a Rainier which is super cushy

Go ahead and install after market shocks/struts on all 4 corners and you'll think otherwise. The Rainier's soft, nose-diving loose front end will come to life. I purchased Monroe Sensa-tracs all the way around and I feel like I'm driving a truck now. In fact, I almost over-killed my suspension with HD Bilsteins. Thankfully, I purchased the Monroe's which are still 100x more responsive than OEM. If I had it my way, the only component I'd change is the steering box as the Rainier's ratio is a bit loose.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Busterbrown said:
The 9-7 rear bumper looks identical to an Envoy's...must be sheet metal differences around the wheel well.

Looks pretty different. Envoy has the circle cut out for the back up lights and the Envoy doesn't have the cut out for the tail pipe plus no plastic shroud on the bottom that the 9-7 has.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Busterbrown said:

Go ahead and install after market shocks/struts on all 4 corners and you'll think otherwise. The Rainier's soft, nose-diving loose front end will come to life. I purchased Monroe Sensa-tracs all the way around and I feel like I'm driving a truck now. In fact, I almost over-killed my suspension with HD Bilsteins. Thankfully, I purchased the Monroe's which are still 100x more responsive than OEM. If I had it my way, the only component I'd change is the steering box as the Rainier's ratio is a bit loose.

No you see the Rainier is perfect for my wife. Drives semi-carlike, is up higher than a minivan, flashy enough to fit in with the standard issue Escalade, Mercedes and Lexus RX that every other mom has. None of the other ladies even know what a Rainer is and so they think it is some high-end rig. I get a kick out of the compliments she gets on it from women who could care less about cars but nobody else has one. She doesn't want to feel like she is driving a truck but the v8 power is there when she needs it and tows my 4000lb boat awesome. The Rainier was literally built for the mid 30's, couple of kids, don't need the minivan any longer but still likes some power to tow to the lake and likes a little flash with the wood wheel and some chrome but doesn't want to get to get stolen (i.e. Escalade) mom.

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
Jkust said:
Looks pretty different. Envoy has the circle cut out for the back up lights and the Envoy doesn't have the cut out for the tail pipe plus no plastic shroud on the bottom that the 9-7 has.

^This. lol

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
The backup lights on the voys are fugly...I hate the way they look. Not clean looking at all :thumbdown:

Busterbrown

Dec 4, 2011
Jkust said:
flashy enough to fit in with the standard issue Escalade, Mercedes and Lexus RX that every other mom has.
Flashy??? I don't know about flashy. Even the untrained eye can see the TB/Envoy resemblance. You might offend a few Escalade or Mercedes owners trying to classify our 360's with theirs. :eek: Production wise, all the models seem to radiate the same "build quality", with certain trim pieces unique to the brand.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Busterbrown said:
Flashy??? I don't know about flashy. Even the untrained eye can see the TB/Envoy resemblance. You might offend a few Escalade or Mercedes owners trying to classify our 360's with theirs. :eek: Production wise, all the models seem to radiate the same "build quality", with certain trim pieces unique to the brand.

Just telling it how it is. We live in an upscale area and the Rainier fits right in. Where I choose not to write a check for a $70,000+ Escalade, I will for a $20,000 Rainier or 9-7. What you aren't getting is that most people and nearly all wome aren't car people...they have no clue what's what other than the name. Step outside of your enthusiast mindset into one where the mere presence of some higher end features is enough. Wood steering wheel, navigation, leather, bunch of chrome and SS and thats all it takes. They haven't ever seen a Rainier or a 9-7 other than ours and they presume they must be high end given they look the part enough and they know we live in a very large home, I am a corporate executive and my wife is a CEO. They see my wife in her Rainier, in beautiful shape with it's wood and chrome and slick paint color and in their eyes it must be comprable. Not only do they not have any clue about the 360 platform, they have no clue they aren't new. What I will say is that our 07 Rainier is much flashier/dressed up than our previous 04 Rainier. The 9-7isn't flashy so much as it is discrete.

Busterbrown

Dec 4, 2011
Jkust said:
Just telling it how it is. We live in an upscale area and the Rainier fits right in. Where I choose not to write a check for a $70,000+ Escalade, I will for a $20,000 Rainier or 9-7. What you aren't getting is that most people and nearly all wome aren't car people...they have no clue what's what other than the name. Step outside of your enthusiast mindset into one where the mere presence of some higher end features is enough. Wood steering wheel, navigation, leather, bunch of chrome and SS and thats all it takes. They haven't ever seen a Rainier or a 9-7 other than ours and they presume they must be high end given they look the part enough and they know we live in a very large home, I am a corporate executive and my wife is a CEO. They see my wife in her Rainier, in beautiful shape with it's wood and chrome and slick paint color and in their eyes it must be comprable. Not only do they not have any clue about the 360 platform, they have no clue they aren't new. What I will say is that our 07 Rainier is much flashier/dressed up than our previous 04 Rainier. The 9-7isn't flashy so much as it is discrete.

Don't get me wrong, I like the platform and think our trucks hold up well over the long haul... But, I think anyone will agree, they are now an aging fleet of vehicles, shown not only in the absence of some of the today's comfort features and technologies but in the overall sheet metal design. I don't mind driving a vehicle engineered out of the late 90's, but some people do. And I don't deny being a "part-time" enthusist with the platform (countless members on here who would claim full-time afishionado status). But I highly doubt those in the market for a late model "high end" SUV are looking at any 360. Even the wife of corporate executive would be inclined to snatch up a Lincoln Nav or a M class Mercedes way before a fleet 360. A quick drive to the used car lots will tell you that TB/Envoy's/Rainiers/97x's are as common as Chrysler's minivans were back in the late 1980's. A 2008 Tahoe holds much more value (and interest) than any similar 08 Envoy Denali or Saab 97x.

Case in point, I've had my 06 Rainier for 3.5 years now, paid 16K for it with 29K miles on the dash. If I were in the market for another SUV, I would definitely not spend 20K (or even 16K) on GMT360. For a few thousand more, a similarily equiped Tahoe or Yukon would be my truck of choice. Now, however, if I were looking for a winter-friendly daily driver that would have potential for offroad use, hand's down a 4x4 360. But again, the purchase price would have to reflect the vehicle's age.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Busterbrown said:
Don't get me wrong, I like the platform and think our trucks hold up well over the long haul... But, I think anyone will agree, they are now an aging fleet of vehicles, shown not only in the absence of some of the today's comfort features and technologies but in the overall sheet metal design. I don't mind driving a vehicle engineered out of the late 90's, but some people do. And I don't deny being a "part-time" enthusist with the platform (countless members on here who would claim full-time afishionado status). But I highly doubt those in the market for a late model "high end" SUV are looking at any 360. Even the wife of corporate executive would be inclined to snatch up a Lincoln Nav or a M class Mercedes way before a fleet 360. A quick drive to the used car lots will tell you that TB/Envoy's/Rainiers/97x's are as common as Chrysler's minivans were back in the late 1980's. A 2008 Tahoe holds much more value (and interest) than any similar 08 Envoy Denali or Saab 97x.

Case in point, I've had my 06 Rainier for 3.5 years now, paid 16K for it with 29K miles on the dash. If I were in the market for another SUV, I would definitely not spend 20K (or even 16K) on GMT360. For a few thousand more, a similarily equiped Tahoe or Yukon would be my truck of choice. Now, however, if I were looking for a winter-friendly daily driver that would have potential for offroad use, hand's down a 4x4 360. But again, the purchase price would have to reflect the vehicle's age.

I agree with you 100% on every point. A couple of things on the 20k number. In MN we have the 6th highest cost of living and our cars are crazy expensive. It is shockingly expensive to live here vs some of our Eastern/Midwestern neighbors so our paradigm is vastly different. No kidding shocking. As I mentioned in previous posts, I bought my 9-7x from Ohio where used cars sell for 30 - 40% less than here for identical models. There are tons of 20k, 360's on the market here every day. Most are simply the 9-7 and the Envoy Denali since they are the newest. While the TB and the Envoy are on every single corner, the Rainier and the 9-7 are quite rare by comparison. The Tahoe is a superior truck but you don't get the same 'deal' on them as you can for a same age say Envoy Denali precisely because they hold their value better. My enemy is a car that holds its value since I buy used not new.

Also then the difference here for a lets say Tahoe LTZ or Yukon Denali vs say an Envoy Denali of the same year is way more than a few thousand if you consider the same mileage. That platitude is simply not the case here but it would be nice if it was. I'd have to get a 100,000+ mile Yukon Denali in heavely used shape say a 2007 new body to compare to the same year Envoy Denali with say 50,000 miles in pristine shape. As I pay for everything in cash from my earnings, If a similarly equipped Tahoe with similar miles was only three thousand more, I'd have two of those not two 360's. A few thousand is not an amount that would be noticed but I would notice how much nicer a Yukon Denali is and that would be a bargain.

Here's the deal for me. My paradigm is this: I live in an extra high cost and high tax state so off the bat our $10,000 is many people's $6,000 and they are unaware of that difference. I was brought up the son of a poor mechanic and taught how cars are a means to get somewhere. Unlike my parents, I became successful at a young age from hard work and determination to not ever be poor so I value a dollar like nobody's business. That heavy valuation of what it took to get here, plus my concervatism won't let me buy more than what I consider a good deal for my needs and wants. With that comes the need to fit into a career and a group of peers where everybody, literally everybody is a millionaire and a neighborhood where everybody is successful. Would my wife want a Mercedes or an Escalade, yes of course who wouldn't, but she was brought up in even worse conditions than me so her philosophy matches with mine. The odds of her getting to where she is today are so slim you couldn't calculate them. While people whine and complain about what the rich people had we went out and made it happen. Those rich people were our motivation. We'd rather drive a couple of mid-level cars (at best) that can pass as nice vehicles but have invested the difference between those cars and say what the standard issue car is around where we live. Every decision I make has a philosophy behind it since I live by a plan not willy nilly. Have you ever read the book Outliers?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.