Saab 97x Binding

Murnahan5

Original poster
Feb 28, 2018
Fairfield, oh
Our 09 Saab 97x is binding when turning during back up or making slow hard turns, like when parking. Took it to a dealership mechanic and they said we can either replace the seals on both transfer case and rear differentials and then replace fluid, or we can completely replace transfer case and rear differential...witha HUGE price tag! Anyone have any ideas?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Tell the dealership the SUCK and that is one piss poor diagnosis. NEVER go back to a place like that. It is almost embarrsing to read how pathetic that mechanic is. Damn....

First thing is to take the cover off the rear diff and see if the G86 is in pieces or not. They should have done that for a proper diagnosis.

edit: Fairfield is not real far from me. (Love Jungle Jims) If you bring the truck i will look at it. What dealership so I can be sure to tell everyone to avoid it like the plague?

Reactions: Capote

Murnahan5

Original poster
Feb 28, 2018
Fairfield, oh
Are you a mechanic? That's very kind of you! We live a few minutes from JJ's. Obviously decided to get a second opinion. Some guy at Napa gave me the number of someone who works on Saabs. Hoping to get better answers.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Shadetree mechanic that has worked on this platform for near 10 years.

You dont want a Saab mechanic honestly. Your truck is basic GM based with saab touches. Same as the trailblazer/envoy/ascender/bravada. Saab mechanic prolly charge unneeded premium.

Find a local shop and not a dealer. Tell them to simply change fluid in rear diff and give it a good look. If there is issue it will be obvious and if not you prolly need a diff fluid change anyway as that is oft overlooked.

--Basic info... is it the front or rear that seems to bind. You should be able to see it if you have someone watch as you turn in parking lot. .

Reactions: Capote and Reprise

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What is binding? the front or back? If on dry asphalt and you make a sharp turn, does the front of the truck bind and "crow hop"?

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
If it drives straight without issue and only binds on turns, First check oil level in Transfer case. This oil should have a blue color to it.

If the fluid is good then remove the Encoder Motor off of the side of the Transfer Case, unplug harness and remove from vehicle. Test drive.

If this fixes the binding, replace the Encoder Motor. Very common on the Bravada (many more built).

Berns

Jun 22, 2013
If it drives straight without issue and only binds on turns, First check oil level in Transfer case. This oil should have a blue color to it.

If the fluid is good then remove the Encoder Motor off of the side of the Transfer Case, unplug harness and remove from vehicle. Test drive.

If this fixes the binding, replace the Encoder Motor. Very common on the Bravada (many more built).

Had the same issue not too long ago and it was the encoder motor. This was the check I happen to stumble upon after I replaced all fluids and nothing changed.

A shop was even talking about changing my front diff which I know had nothing to do with it.

oldog

Oct 10, 2017
Richmond, VA
I experienced crow hop and binding in my 08 Saab 97x. I swapped the encoder motor which fixed it. Super easy DYI job. Got a sweet deal on one on amazon, it was open box and cost $50 but basically was like new. The crow hopping broke one of the sway bar links in half. Swapped those out too also an easy job.

HizAndHerz

Oct 28, 2013
$50 - What a great deal! Congrats!

A couple years back during one of the brief stints when my 9-7x was actually moving down the road, I got stranded out of town with the front wheels locking up. I had it towed to the GM dealer who charged $950 to replace the encoder. I told them I could do it myself for $125 in about 10 minutes. Their book said $450 for the motor and 4 hours labor - take it or leave it. Well, I took it up the arse to get back on the road.

oldog

Oct 10, 2017
Richmond, VA
Wow what a crazy stealership story. I know what it's like to be desperate to get back on the road when life calls. Looks like the Dorman 600-904 runs $91 + tax used on Amazon Warehouse at the moment. I looked back and noticed I had paid $62 (not $50). The thing is it wasn't used, it was brand new, it was just in a beat up box.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.