Saab 9-7X wheels and Bowtie centercaps?

Bill Reid

Original poster
Dec 18, 2015
Chandler, AZ
I've seen the peel-and-stick option out there but wondering if there is an actual OEM option that is the same color. Are these centercaps 56mm (2.2")?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So you have a set of 9-7x wheels and you want to replace the center caps with bowties? If you have the Saab center caps, why not peel off the Saab and replace it with a Chevy one? There should be one available.

Or you want a bowtie surrounded by aluminum? Saab, being the oddball brand that it is, might have an oddball center cap too with no cross-brand fit.

Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
The 9-7x wheels all have their own sized center caps. As far as I know this is a SAAB OEM Part, when I went to replace mine there was no aftermarket option.

Bill Reid

Original poster
Dec 18, 2015
Chandler, AZ
I went ahead and picked up the wheels today. $200 for the set... they are in new take-off condition. Will need slight touch up with polishing compound from box rubbing. Been sitting in boxes for years. Few pics below with dimensions. Haven't decided yet if I'll try and take apart the Saab caps. Will still look around for a Bowtie cap...

Reactions: Dada and dmanns67

Bill Reid

Original poster
Dec 18, 2015
Chandler, AZ
The 3D emblem inside the black plastic centercap "carrier" is just over 60mm... so maybe I need to look for 60mm 3D emblems. I did check on ebay... there are some 62mm bowtie caps that might work. Need to look around some more...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you're taking them apart, would you mind swapping yours with mine? Yours are brand new and mine, well are old and faded. Seems a shame to ruin nice caps. I'd even pay the shipping both ways.

I also just thought of something. I have a leftover cap from my 2006 Montana SV6 van and the cap looks similar. I'm at work right now but can check later when I get home. If that's the case. I can even trial fit it on my wheels. How's this gonna help you? The Chevy Uplander basically uses the same type of cap.

Those wheels are in beautiful condition for the price! They are the 17" for the 4.2i (or Linear in '05)

Reactions: Capote
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Those wheels are in beautiful condition for the price! They are the 17" for the 4.2i (or Linear in '05)

Those are 18" actually. All 9-7x trims were 18" except the Aero which has TBSS 20's (They're what I have on mine) They sit on 255/55 R18 109V XL tires, which aren't cheap.

Which leads to my next question. Have you looked into the TBSS center caps? They very possibly might be the correct size.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Those are 18" actually. All 9-7x trims were 18" except the Aero which has TBSS 20's

I did a typo. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :biggrin:.

Looked at the Aero, 5.3i, 4.2i and SS wheels and the caps on G Images all look similar from the outside. Checked on a Saab online parts fiche and they list only one cap for all types of wheels.
http://www.partswebsite.com/oemsaab...768&item_collision=1&items=none&image=7322300

BTW, that wheel is still available, for $334 each!

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Which leads to my next question. Have you looked into the TBSS center caps? They very possibly might be the correct size.

TBSS center caps have a diameter of roughly 2-7/8" (73.03mm). Slightly larger than the SAAB's 62.53mm

Damn Bill, you got a great deal on those wheels and they look great.

Reactions: Capote

Bill Reid

Original poster
Dec 18, 2015
Chandler, AZ
Mooseman, thats good to know. I'd rather go with an OEM Bowtie replacement if I can. There are some 62mm caps on ebay but they are black. More looking :smile: If I disassemble the caps, I'll forward you the Saab inserts. If I can find a complete bowtie replacement (with silver background) I'll send you the Saab caps.

BTW, there is an 9-7X Aero for sale locally... looks sweet :smile:
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/5631742497.html

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

AzTruckGuy

Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
I went ahead and picked up the wheels today. $200 for the set... they are in new take-off condition. Will need slight touch up with polishing compound from box rubbing. Been sitting in boxes for years. Few pics below with dimensions. Haven't decided yet if I'll try and take apart the Saab caps. Will still look around for a Bowtie cap...

Smokin deal, I found a set for $200 myself but outskirts of Chicago, the guy had them on his website and I offered $200, but got weird about shipping them out to me and saying I have no clue what condition they were in, even though he said they were in great condition. I believe these rims are 27lbs each vs the 25lb 16inch 5 star stock alloy rims on the Trailblazer

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
For years, I had the cap tossing around in the garage and now I can't find it.

Had a second look at my caps. Yeah, you would need a 60mm insert. Maybe contact one of the sellers for the SS caps and ask for them to measure them.

Bill Reid

Original poster
Dec 18, 2015
Chandler, AZ
Looking at these used Saab caps... offered the guy $4 a piece (free shipping). We'll see if he bites. I tried to pull one of these new condition Saab caps apart. No dice... not without damaging something. If I can get old Saab caps apart (maybe drill backside and push out?) I'll try some 60mm inserts. If they look like crap then I'll fall back and use original Saab caps. At least the blue somewhat matches my faded Indigo Blue paint :biggrin:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-4-Saab-...ash=item1c64b79907:g:QxIAAOSwJQdXBunX&vxp=mtr

Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Wow, $9k is crazy cheap, at least from european perspective. If it was here by now I'd be hammering on his door with a bunch of cash, screaming "shut up and take my money" :biggrin: Is this an adequate price on the US market or is he desperate to sell?

Depending on miles, condition and dealer or private sale, that is a pretty ballpark average price. For whatever reason the Saab is worth considerably less. The Rainer is actually the highest priced of the platform that I've found if you can believe it.

Oh, and sorry...:hijack:

Reactions: dkvasnicka

AzTruckGuy

Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az

Can you tell me the weight of the rims? And what tire size you plan on getting? I am still debating on getting the Saab rims for my Trailblazer or stay with the current 16' rims and just get tires. If I would go the 18's rims I would go with 255/50/18 or if I stay with the 16's I would get 235/65/16 and get spacers for the front and rear. My tires are 245/75/16 now and they feel heavy, I am looking to get more a light feel and save weight all around

Dada

Apr 8, 2016
Miami

thos wheel fit a 2004 Envoy XL 4X4?

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members