Saab 9-7x Suspension height vs other GMT

Pygot

Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
RI
Hi all, hope you are all well rn.
Had a question concerning my 2008 Saab 9-7X and replacing the rear air suspension. Long story short I am replacing the rear springs and rear shocks. I have read other threads and got varying answers as to whether the OEM springs for, say, a Trailblazer will work as replacements for the air suspension in the Saab. My main concern is that the ride height will be higher due to the Trailblazer springs being slightly taller. Any thoughts or insights? I'd like to avoid paying for the Strutmaster kit for the Saab as they are quite pricey, if possible. Thanks!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Its a direct swap... Although I have not done it, others here have on their Trailblazer or Envoys that had Air Ride, and swapped them to spring with no issue.

The only question I dont know how to answer is, do you also replace the shock with a Spring style shock, or keep the air ride shock.

Reactions: Pygot

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
My 9-7x had already been switched to springs so I don't know which ones were used. And it also had lift kits front and back which actually looked goofy on this truck. It still had a slight rake once I removed the lift.

If it does develop a rake with the rear springs, you could replace the front struts with the adjustable ones from Bilstein to bring the front up to level.

Pygot

Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
RI
My 9-7x had already been switched to springs so I don't know which ones were used. And it also had lift kits front and back which actually looked goofy on this truck. It still had a slight rake once I removed the lift.

If it does develop a rake with the rear springs, you could replace the front struts with the adjustable ones from Bilstein to bring the front up to level.
This is what I will be doing.
For anyone in the future I am posting links to what I am ordering
Parts List:
•2x Bilstein HD Shocks
•2× Stock Chevy Trailblazer Springs GM Part#15948009
•2x Insulators

Reactions: Mooseman

Pygot

Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
RI

I may end up doing the front eventually anyway

waSAABi

Dec 29, 2019
YYC
I deleted the rear air on my 9-7x using Belltech Tahoe 2"-3" drop springs part # BEL-23301. They come with new bump stops and 1" spacers. Before the springs air suspension was 32", now with the drop springs it sits at 321/4" from the fender to the ground with stock wheels and tires. I did not replace the shocks as they were in good shape. It may ride a little firmer with the Tahoe spring but I can load the back end up without it sagging out and riding on the bump stops which was a concern of mine. Most that use the drop springs made for our platform end up with air bags to allow them to carry the extra weight.

Lots of reading over at the TrailBlazer SS forums, I found this thread useful.
Tahoe drop springs

Pygot

Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
RI
I deleted the rear air on my 9-7x using Belltech Tahoe 2"-3" drop springs part # BEL-23301. They come with new bump stops and 1" spacers. Before the springs air suspension was 32", now with the drop springs it sits at 321/4" from the fender to the ground with stock wheels and tires. I did not replace the shocks as they were in good shape. It may ride a little firmer with the Tahoe spring but I can load the back end up without it sagging out and riding on the bump stops which was a concern of mine. Most that use the drop springs made for our platform end up with air bags to allow them to carry the extra weight.

Lots of reading over at the TrailBlazer SS forums, I found this thread useful.
Tahoe drop springs
I found mine sat at 32 and 33. I dont mind raising it a little as I do go on some trails where I live. Will have to eventually do front Bilsteins as recommended above to get rid of the rake EDIT: I am trying cancel the order for the springs I previously ordered now, will order the product described by @ waSAABi above. I like a low ride no matter the cost
EDIT 2 Can you confirm it is this b4 I purchase it? Also is this what you paid roughly?

EDIT 2

Last edited:

waSAABi

Dec 29, 2019
YYC
Yes, that is the kit I used and the price I paid was pretty much the same.
I did install mine without the spacers to get the ride hight listed in my other post and I didn't use the rubber isolators, so far there isn't any noise from the springs and if there was any, I was going to use 1/2" heater hose on the ends of the coils.
They are tall so you will need to disconnect the shocks, ride hight sensors and loosen the clamps off of the wheel speed sensors to allow the axel to come down as far as possible. It did take a bit of persuasion as it is a close fit.

When I was installing them I was a little concerned that the rear was going to be to high, but it seems they compress a lot when you put the weight back on the axel. Also, I did not cut any of the rear air lines just incase I ever wanted to go back to air. I put rubber caps on the end of the lines and tied up the level sensors so the compressor wouldn't run unless I was using the accessory air inflator. So far I am very pleased with the results of this swap and never see me going back to air.

Good luck!

Attachments

• Saab air spring rear.JPG
    Saab air spring rear.JPG
    561.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Saab on springs rear.JPG
    Saab on springs rear.JPG
    543.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Belltech Tahoe drop spring.JPG
    Belltech Tahoe drop spring.JPG
    469 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Pygot

Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
RI
Yes, that is the kit I used and the price I paid was pretty much the same.
I did install mine without the spacers to get the ride hight listed in my other post and I didn't use the rubber isolators, so far there isn't any noise from the springs and if there was any, I was going to use 1/2" heater hose on the ends of the coils.
They are tall so you will need to disconnect the shocks, ride hight sensors and loosen the clamps off of the wheel speed sensors to allow the axel to come down as far as possible. It did take a bit of persuasion as it is a close fit.

When I was installing them I was a little concerned that the rear was going to be to high, but it seems they compress a lot when you put the weight back on the axel. Also, I did not cut any of the rear air lines just incase I ever wanted to go back to air. I put rubber caps on the end of the lines and tied up the level sensors so the compressor wouldn't run unless I was using the accessory air inflator. So far I am very pleased with the results of this swap and never see me going back to air.

Good luck!
Thank you so much, interesting thought with the the heater hose, I will pick some up and try both and see what I like best. Personally I wanted to keep the air just to have, but my guy with a lift seems to think it would be a waste to keep as I NEVER plan on going back to air. Hate the floaty ride makes me nauseous. I will lyk once I install the springs ride heights, parts links, the stiffness and maybe even a pic! For reference rn bags are at 33 and 32 on the passenger. I am also doing shocks as it badly needs them. Thamk you so much!

Reactions: Mooseman

Pygot

Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
RI
Hey just updating y'all on the springs. Used the BEL #23301 ordered off of summitracing.com and it comes with the bump stops and spacers. The 97x sits at 33.5'' now with the conversion. It originally sat at 33 inches (and 32 on the passenger due to a failing airbag) and looks REALLY similar to the original ride height overall. The ride is actually really good :celebrate:, and not as stiff as I had anticipated. This was done using a lift and a spring compressor, and while the fitment of the springs was tight it is in fact possible to do this conversion WITH the bump stops and spacers. Thanks to @Mooseman @waSAABi and @TollKeeper. I saved enough money to finally donate to the site as well!

waSAABi

Dec 29, 2019
YYC
Glad you are happy with the results. So you did end up using the 1" spacers to get 33.5", have a picture for us?

Pygot

Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
RI
I did use the spacer and I will have pics the truck is getting some evap codes fixed rn since my mechanic isnt doing much business and I dont feel like doing it outside with no garage or driveway yet. Will post b4 and after pics today or tomorrow depending when I get it back

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online