Saab 9-7x: Disable DRL easily

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I just wanted to disable my DRL because I don't like them and they are melting the lenses (all you 9-7x owners know what I mean :frown: ) After looking at the wiring schematics, the BCM sends a signal to the turn signal module to turn on both front turn signals. This is a different module for the 9-7x with stock HID headlights. All you need to do is cut the wire as per the attached pic. This will only stop the DRL. It will not affect the light sensor auto-on headlights.

Another use for that wire would be to use it at the BCM to turn on the fogs as DRLs. Something for a later article.

20150412_165209 (Large).jpg

Note: This mod is ONLY for those equipped with the factory HID headlights (option code TT6).

Last edited:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Small update. It does disable the front perimeter lighting when you unlock using the RKE as it uses the DRL for that. When I eventually use that wire for the fogs, that should work again and better than the turn signals.

Reactions: swede

Berns

Jun 22, 2013
Sorry for bringing this back from 2015.

So the 9-7X does not use the headlights as DRLs?

I have been debating whether putting in LED headlights but have been reading about the HID flicker issue due to DRLs with the TrailBlazers and Envoy.

Mooseman,
Have you had any issues with the wire you cut above?

dkvasnicka

Jul 24, 2015
Czech republic, Europe
My 9-7X does use the headlights as DRLs and for perimeter lightning, but that's probably because it was first sold here in Europe and using turn signals as DRLs would not have been in accordance with the european law, AFAIK.
I also have small parking lights bulbs in front of the high beam reflectors -- not sure if those are present on US models.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
In North America, the 9-7x use the turn signals as DRL's instead of the headlights. On those equipped with HID's (V8) it's understandable but they also did it on those with halogens (I6).

This is good for those who want to totally disable the DRL's. However, since then, I have also changed it use the fogs as DRL's.
Saab 9-7x: Fogs as DRL easily

I have not had any ill effects from with either of these except for the perimeter lighting.

Edit: Checked schematics and it appears that those with halogens do use the headlights as DRL's. I thought I had seen one in the past that had this and was mistaken. So only those with factory HID (option TT6) use the turn signals as DRL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beacon

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online