Saab 9-7x air suspension problems

jhcDenmark

Original poster
Apr 25, 2015
Saab 9-7X year 2008.
I fairly satisfied owner of a Saab 9-7X 5.3 but now the air suspension on the rear wheels broken and the car is now very low. Since I do not need air suspension I would like to replace it with ordinary suspension. Is there anything that can fortællle me the model number of the parts that I need. Since I live in Denmark and highest sold 10 Saab 9--7x in Denmark then all help welcome :smile:

Likewise, there are no problems with my 4x4 car lights yellow in the dashboard and there comes a sound at the back of the car

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
jhcDenmark said:
Saab 9-7X year 2008.
I fairly satisfied owner of a Saab 9-7X 5.3 but now the air suspension on the rear wheels broken and the car is now very low. Since I do not need air suspension I would like to replace it with ordinary suspension. Is there anything that can fortællle me the model number of the parts that I need. Since I live in Denmark and highest sold 10 Saab 9--7x in Denmark then all help welcome :smile:

Likewise, there are no problems with my 4x4 car lights yellow in the dashboard and there comes a sound at the back of the car
You might start by looking here, also members can get a break on the price sometimes...Mike
https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_SAAB_yid19_pid128_gid499.html

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Personally, I would convert it to springs. If you can find a Trailblazer or Envoy in a used auto parts yard, you could do this cheaper or even with new parts, it would probably be cheaper than the bags. Mine was converted to springs, no problems here. Less problems, less things to break.

bogieman

Aug 6, 2014
I would also go with the springs. I purchased a 2005 Rainier with 118000 miles with the original bags.
the bags were leaking down, and after reading everything I could find on here and other forums, I switched to Moog coils (approx. $88 for 2). The Rainier is just an extra knock around car for me, and I figured (based on what I was reading) the air compressor would probably be next and just didn't want to invest that much more money.

If there is a difference in ride, I really can't tell it. And the peace of mind with the coils made it totally worth it.

Have you fixed yours yet? what did you do?

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Although this is a good post, don't expect a response. The OP never responded and has only one post.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well weigh in anyway. We can still have a discussion on this.

07saab97x

Jul 19, 2015
Hi, I have a 2007 97x which now has 170k miles and I like to say that the first 100k miles were the toughest. Just had the rear air springs replaced as left side would occasionally drop overnight and dealer found dry rot. Unfortunately they fiddled with the right side height sensor and the car is not level so next oil change they will adjust. I'm far more familiar with the Ford RAS system which didn't fail until over 300k but that's another forum. Tonight I had to go back out to the garage and noticed the rear end hadn't returned to the normal height. I restarted it and got out shut the door and shut down again. Still to change in ride height. The ford system maintains loaded height until doors and closed then an audible click and the system vents. The red light on the compressor switch is off. Any ideas? They are tired of seeing me at Chevy so often.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
From what I experienced with mine with the compressor still plugged in but the bags gone, it would kick in when the ignition was turned on trying to pump up the bags. If yours is low, probably just needs to height sensors to be adjusted. If they don't kick on, it thinks it's fine and doesn't need to adjust anything. They'd have to do actual measurements when they do the adjustments.

07saab97x

Jul 19, 2015
Sorry I probably didn't explain clearly. The rear end has remained elevated overnight- will see how it looks after work and repor back.

07saab97x

Jul 19, 2015
image.jpeg So the rear ended remains elevated almost like the handicapped accessible Chrysler minivans. The compressor runs if I press the toggle switch but something is preventing the bags to vent to return to normal parked ride height after shutdown. I tried removing the fuse for w few minutes and reinstalled but no change in ride height. I know the Ford systems will shut the system down if there is no signal from the ride height sensor which makes complete sense- does anyone know how the GM system works? Does it time out after 90 seconds of failure to either raise vehicle to normal ride height or lower to normal ride height? Any insight is most appreciated.

Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
I can get them for $90 a side. Get them installed in just a couple hours. As a first responder, I can't sit and wait for my suspension to fill up.

07saab97x

Jul 19, 2015
No just the bags - i hear you! I knew my other car inside out and in almost 300k miles had few repairs whereas on this one there have been failures beyond imagination. And the Chevy dealer reluctantly embraces the "Saab" as I remind them it's a TB with a lot of makeup.

Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
No just the bags - i hear you! I knew my other car inside out and in almost 300k miles had few repairs whereas on this one there have been failures beyond imagination. And the Chevy dealer reluctantly embraces the "Saab" as I remind them it's a TB with a lot of makeup.

There's a recall out on the GMT-360s for the drivers door module, and Chevy dealers REFUSE to honor it.

07saab97x

Jul 19, 2015
Is that the recall for the possible fire hazard? I brought mine to the Saab dealer who covered it- have you tried other Chevy dealers? I thought it was a mandatory recall on all - there should be a way to enforce this. Did they ever come up with a fix for the headlight problem? Mine has the projector lights which are not part of it. Watching the news now about Consumer Reports best/worst - among the worst, Lincoln , GMC, Chevy. No amount of fancy technology can trump reliability in my book. As I spend way too much time at Chevy, I sit amongst future recalls in the showroom. I've never owned foreign but our other vehicle besides my Crown Vic is an an Audi which has provided 80k miles of trouble free driving - does make me wonder.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Getting back on track... Mine did time out after a minute or so. I eventually pulled the fuse for good.

The problem could be one of two things; either the height sensors are improperly adjusted or the compressor is defective and not letting out air to lower them. If it's the sensors, it's easy and you could even do it yourself. If it's the compressor, that's $$$. In that case, I'd go with coils and be done with this infernal system.

Back to :hijack:. Headlights may be covered if they are the halogen type as it was an issue with the PWM type relay used in other GMT360's melting. The HID's use a regular relay and likely not affected. The halogen ones may also use the PWM relay IF the headlights are also used as the DRL. If it's the turn signals, like the HID's, then it's a regular relay.

I hear you regarding not getting service or parts. We have NO Saab dealers here anymore. GM dealer will not even listen to me calling all Saabs bastard children. I needed a new door lock cylinder, he just said "nope". Asked for one for a TB, sure, no problem but it wound up being so expensive, I said forget it and I got one free off a junker at the pick-a-part with key.

If a GM dealer won't do a recall, call GM customer service directly. They were the ones that produced the product and are still responsible for it. They don't make Cobalts anymore but they were responsible for their bad products and decisions.

07saab97x

Jul 19, 2015
Miraculously the rear air suspension has resumed normal operation - I'm attributing that to removal and replacement of the fuse. I had expected more immediate results but this morning it was at a normal height and the compressor ran briefly to trim the height as I was backing out. The dealer tinkered with one of the height sensors so now the rear is a little uneven but will wait for my next oil change to go back. This is a great forum - very informative folks with a sense of humor!

Reactions: Tiggerr

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It probably got the whisper that it could be replaced with springs and decided to behave :eek:

Glad it worked out.

Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Is that the recall for the possible fire hazard? I brought mine to the Saab dealer who covered it- have you tried other Chevy dealers? I thought it was a mandatory recall on all - there should be a way to enforce this. Did they ever come up with a fix for the headlight problem? Mine has the projector lights which are not part of it. Watching the news now about Consumer Reports best/worst - among the worst, Lincoln , GMC, Chevy. No amount of fancy technology can trump reliability in my book. As I spend way too much time at Chevy, I sit amongst future recalls in the showroom. I've never owned foreign but our other vehicle besides my Crown Vic is an an Audi which has provided 80k miles of trouble free driving - does make me wonder.

I found myself a Saab dealer which will honor it (Guess they still exist) . Made an appointment for next week to have it repaired.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online