Saab 9-7x 5.3L engine replacement/swap

Ryda55555

Original poster
Apr 11, 2013
Heres the dealio, i found a 2007 9-7x 5.3i with 200,000 kms
The seller said he ran it with no oil and it has a bad knock, he said the garage said it needs new connecting rods (probably new bearings too
He wants $3000 for it (everything else is mint from what i see in the pics.)
I also found a 2005 6.0L LQ9 from a silverado SS with 89,000kms for $1300
And a vortec 5.3 with $140,000kms for $1000 i dont know what its off of but i posted a pic of it

Now heres the big question... I have $3000 cash on me right now
Would it be worth bargaining with the saab owner to get $2000-2500 for the saab and buy a replacement engine to swap in?
Would i need any extra parts for the lq9? Trans servo etc.
I will still be able to keep my voy if i go this route at least until the saab is up and running then i'll have to sell to pay off loans and have a couple thousand to mod up the saab some more
My uncles brother owns a garage and can do the engine swap for pennies on a dollar if not for free
If everything goes well employment wise i wont have to sell the voy at all to fund the saab build plus its a good thread to watch if i do plan on taking this build on

Or do i trade the voy in and pay $3000 for a black 5.3 9-7x with 170,000kms from the dealer?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 115
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 18

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
You could rebuild that 5.3
you get him down to 2500
The crank probably needs to be looked at, New Rods,Pistons,Wristpins along with rings and bearings and thats a full bottom end build
probably be around 1-2k depending on if a new crank is needed.

4500 operational saab

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Crap, if I had the $$ Id buy the Saab for that price! Especially if the trans still works.

- - - Updated - - -

Crap, if I had the $$ Id buy the Saab for that price! Especially if the trans still works.

Ryda55555

Original poster
Apr 11, 2013
The thing is i have money for it and the truck still runs but with a knock. He said it could die in a month or it could die in a year.
I just need to be able to drive it back to toronto (1.5hr drive)
I think im gonna buy it and either fix the lower end or swap it.
Either way im looking at around $5000 to get it functioning and road worthy
But its a very worthy build car and i really wanna tackle the project
Do you guys think its better to rebuild? That way i know what goes in
Cheapest 5.3 9-7x is $8950 in my area

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Ryda55555 said:
The thing is i have money for it and the truck still runs but with a knock. He said it could die in a month or it could die in a year.

I say rebuild....but its your money

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
^ Rebuild stronger instead of swapping for OEM parts in a different motor.

ddgm

May 7, 2013
Ryda55555 said:

It could die in a year or a month or a minute! If it puts a rod through the block, then there's no rebuild, plus you're on the side of
the road somewhere. I would offer as little as possible and flatbed it back to wherever to rebuild it. Get some quotes on rebuilding and transporting. Keep in mind that the axles go through the oil pan.
Then make the decision. I have a 9-7x and yes, it is nice.

Ryda55555

Original poster
Apr 11, 2013
ddgm said:
It could die in a year or a month or a minute! If it puts a rod through the block, then there's no rebuild, plus you're on the side of
the road somewhere. I would offer as little as possible and flatbed it back to wherever to rebuild it. Get some quotes on rebuilding and transporting. Keep in mind that the axles go through the oil pan.
Then make the decision. I have a 9-7x and yes, it is nice.

Is it the same with the 5.3s? I think its the same i just wanna make sure
I have CAA so i get free towing if anything

I offered him $2500, if he accepts i'll go check it out on the weekend and see the condition and figure it out from there
But yea i dont want a rod through the block so i'll probably flat bed it back home

Ryda55555

Original poster
Apr 11, 2013
Also found a tbss intake, throttle body and injectors for $350
I dont think the SS intake will work with the DOD 5.3 though...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 8

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I look forward to following whatever route you choose. Couple of thoughts... First, I've never met anyone who's project vehicle stayed under budget. Always something to buy/upgrade. But then again, I don't have to tell you that :raspberry:
Second, the guy who ran it with no oil probably did a few other neglectful things. I would bring the jack/stands/tools and get dirty looking at it. Maybe buy the runner from the dealer and build it til she blows then drop a big block in it if it's still a keeper?

Ryda55555

Original poster
Apr 11, 2013
Playsinsnow said:
I look forward to following whatever route you choose. Couple of thoughts... First, I've never met anyone who's project vehicle stayed under budget. Always something to buy/upgrade. But then again, I don't have to tell you that :raspberry:
Second, the guy who ran it with no oil probably did a few other neglectful things. I would bring the jack/stands/tools and get dirty looking at it. Maybe buy the runner from the dealer and build it til she blows then drop a big block in it if it's still a keeper?

You have 2 really good points lol
We'll see if he accepts my offer of $2500
But this saab is silver with black leather
And the runner is black (with tan leather which im not really a fan of), and it has some scratches under the tail light on the driver side hopefully i can come up with some sort of deal to fix the paint and change all fluids
But the runner is from a small private dealer
The hitch looks rust free too but it was probably undercoated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 12

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I love my silver and black but that tan interior is classy! :thumbsup:

Idk why but the black looks better too.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
That black needs TLC, might want to invest in a Porter Cable with that one.

chief0299

Jul 1, 2013
I'd low ball him on the offer and go from there. Running without oil causes more than just a slight or small rod knock. The cylinder walls, and bearings lands could be severely scored. If it were me, I'd find out the cost of engine rebuild AND engine replacement from a dealer. Parts and labor. Then use that to your advantage to make a deal. Don't let on that you have the capabilities to do the work yourself. Play dumb. If your local dealer quotes you $5,000 to rebuild or replace the motor with a warranty, then tell the guy you've only got $6500 on hand and see if bites on the $1500.

That's how I've been able to wheel and deal in the past. I'll find a vehicle that I like, find out what's wrong and I'll hit up the dealer for written quotes on what it costs in terms of parts and labor to make the necessary repairs. Then I'll use that written quote to bargain the price down. Dealer prices are always higher than most shops to begin with. Once I get the vehicle for the price I feel comfortable with, I'll do the work myself free of labor costs.

Good luck.

Ryda55555

Original poster
Apr 11, 2013
STLtrailbSS said:
That black needs TLC, might want to invest in a Porter Cable with that one.

Or i can get the dealer to get everything nice and shiny and buffed before i buy it, dealers around here usually do that before the customer picks the vehicle up as courtesy

But it comes certified and e-tested and 2 warranties so they'll fix most if not everthing thats wrong with it. Plus it has 4 brand new goodyear tires

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I can see Ryda out there cleaning it everyday. Not an issue. Until some import takes him! :raspberry:

Ryda55555

Original poster
Apr 11, 2013
My truck gets cleaned and waxed every week so thats not a problem lol
But watch... Im gunna get beat by an import and come back with a supercharged ls7 :raspberry:

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Ryda55555 said:
Also found a tbss intake, throttle body and injectors for $350
I dont think the SS intake will work with the DOD 5.3 though...

It's the same intake and tb as the 5.3s have... I dont know offhand about the injectors, have to look at a tune or see part numbers.

Ryda55555

Original poster
Apr 11, 2013
ScarabEpic22 said:
It's the same intake and tb as the 5.3s have... I dont know offhand about the injectors, have to look at a tune or see part numbers.

I read somewhere that swapping the ls2 intake into the 5.3 with dod makes it always run in 4 cylinder mode
Dont know how true that is but it be a pain in the ass if it did

TXBlazer

Nov 21, 2011
Cypress, TEXAS USA
Ryda55555 said:
I read somewhere that swapping the ls2 intake into the 5.3 with dod makes it always run in 4 cylinder mode

Erik is correct....the SS intake is the same as the 5.3 intake. The intake has nothing to do with the engine running in 4 cyl mode.....I've been through the fun of removing the DOD from my 5.3. The Cam lifters, valley cover and tune are what controls the 4 cyl mode. The intake is a Bolt-on piece of plastic. If you go the rebuilding route, I would look into throwing an LS2 cam in that 5.3 It's an awesome upgrade, and can be done pretty easily on the wallet. It got my truck to 304 RWHP, and the 5.3 is only 302 FWHP stock.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Ryda55555 said:

How often do you see a 5.3 liter four banger...:rotfl:

Ryda55555

Original poster
Apr 11, 2013
northcreek said:
How often do you see a 5.3 liter four banger...:rotfl:

lool i already had a 2.0L 4 banger in my rav4 and it was THE slowest thing :rotfl: 120hp of raw power

Ryda55555

Original poster
Apr 11, 2013
TXBlazer said:
Erik is correct....the SS intake is the same as the 5.3 intake. The intake has nothing to do with the engine running in 4 cyl mode.....I've been through the fun of removing the DOD from my 5.3. The Cam lifters, valley cover and tune are what controls the 4 cyl mode. The intake is a Bolt-on piece of plastic. If you go the rebuilding route, I would look into throwing an LS2 cam in that 5.3 It's an awesome upgrade, and can be done pretty easily on the wallet. It got my truck to 304 RWHP, and the 5.3 is only 302 FWHP stock.

What other bolts ons/ parts do you have other than cam lifters, valley cover and LS2 cam? (And tune)
Any tranny upgrades? Cause 304rwhp is pretty crazy and i'd love to get at least near there

Nvm... Checked your profile and found it lol how much approx did all that run you?

Could you just swap the ls2 cam in and delete DOD with a tune? And use stock lifters?
I know it probably wont cost much more for the extra parts but its more labour lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 8

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Most of that stuff is just OEM pieces probably a very nice build on the wallet. I can have a entire ls2 top end for you soon enough.

Ryda55555

Original poster
Apr 11, 2013
STLtrailbSS said:
Most of that stuff is just OEM pieces probably a very nice build on the wallet. I can have a entire ls2 top end for you soon enough.

Could be very interested in that :undecided:

SaabScott

Jul 11, 2013
Any update on this? I noticed it is still listed on Auto Trader.

I've got to say, even with the issues that I have been having with my 9-7X, I'm very happy with the truck overall!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online