Rust repair: Rear door bottoms and front of hood


Well-Known Member
Just finished this up yesterday on the new-to-us '05 TB.
I saw it before buying, but I already had done research and found that these were common rust areas, especially in rust belt Ohio.
What I did was:
Pulled the door panels and speakers.
Scraped off the worst with a screwdriver.
Washed the area inside and out with soap and water, let dry.
Sandblasted the crap out of it. I knew this would blow a hole in the hood and it did. I just trimmed away the rough edges and made sure the metal was sandblasted clean.
2 coats of SPI white epoxy, cure overnight.
Coat areas with seam sealer. On the hood I put masking tape over the hole as a backer and seam sealed it. Removed the tape with a razor blade after curing overnight.
2 more coats of epoxy primer over the seam sealer.

This is definitely not the "right" way to repair, but the goal was to try and keep the rust at bay. It'll probably come back because the metal was so far gone, but I had to try.
I'm going to rustproof it with used oil after the primer is good and cured, and put a bug shield on it to hide the hood.
Thought I would share the fun. I have the tools to cut/weld in patches, etc, but I just couldn't get in to all of that. Since this is a relatively common vehicle it would be easier to just buy clean doors and hood. We shall see how it holds up!



Well-Known Member
Good job. My '02 has a lot of the same surface rust but no holes. I cleaned a lot of it up and primed it to slow the spread .


Silver Supporter
Good work. My 02 was/is in the same shape. I ended up getting a new hood, painted with my paint code for about $400 on ebay. Sadly my rear doors are toast and I'm in the process of finding new ones.


I been seeing mine going to shit and think that I may just let it go and and call it patina so my truck is worth more like the ratrod stuff


Well-Known Member
Lol I like the patina idea.
it'll be interesting to see how long it holds. I had the tools and materials so it didn't cost me much. It's a b$tch living in the rust belt.


Well-Known Member
Food for thoughts. Guy is a bit hard to listen too but I do think what he's showing here makes a lot of sense.



Well-Known Member
Food for thoughts. Guy is a bit hard to listen too but I do think what he's showing here makes a lot of sense.

thanks for sharing, I believe it works too. I do similar to my vehicles using a gear lube squirt bottle and used motor oil: stinky and helluva mess!


Well-Known Member
Even though I have been struggling with engine probs with our TB (see my other thread), I'm still trying to keep rust at bay.

My dad always sprays his vehicles with used oil, and I've done it several times. I'm not afraid to get dirty, but used oil is just nasty!

I bought this stuff called NH Oil, and I bought an undercoating gun from amazon.

Note the Gatorade bottle...The gun does not come with a cup, but the description states "fits most standard quart bottles" . Well it didn't for me. Luckily an Amazon reviewer posted about getting a Gatorade cap to fit up inside the threads, so I duplicated it.

I pulled the tailgate panel out and just hung it, because someone installed a back up camera and there's no disconnect. hard to see but there's some scaly rust right where the pull handle is. It needs sandblasted and painted, which was unexpected and I couldn't get in to it right now. I just soaked it down with the rustproofing and put it back together for now. They also broke the bottom stud on the plastic insert panel.

I took the inner rear panels out and the quarters look good on the inside, just slight rust as shown in the pic of the right side.

The gun came with a flexible extension and a 360 degree spray nozzle so I shoved it down in to the rear door post (C post?) Not sure what it's called.

I really got in to it and took the rear fender liners out. There was a little rust starting on the pinch weld where the door seal goes. I cleaned the dirt out of the door seal and squirted undercoat in it and pushed it back on.

Mine has the GM mudflaps, someone had absolutely loaded them up with clear caulk, I had to pull a lot of it off to get the fender liners out.

I also popped all the plugs out of the rockers and sprayed inside as well as I could.

The wand extension is kind of disappointing, it doesn't spray much material. I even put a regulator on and played with the air pressure. However, I could see in there a bit with a flashlight and it was wet, so better than nothing.

This took me all weekend and I used every bit of the gallon of NH Oil. I definitely could have used another, I'll know for next time.

The stuff is supposedly biodegradable and non toxic. I did it in a closed garage and the smell wasn't bad, kind of like cherries. It sticks well and doesn't drip, yet everything looks set so I feel like it will penetrate.



Lifetime VIP Supporter
Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Answered questions
Latest member
Top Bottom