Rust reformer?

Stuntmanmike77

Original poster
May 6, 2018
Sanford, ME
Hi all. Noticed an issue I believe was brought up before but can't find the post. Anyway, I recently replaced my rear seat bar links in my TB and noticed something troubling. There is some rust on the rear upper control arm about half an inch below the bolt hole and an actual hole about 3/8ths in diameter on the driver side!! I've always tried to keep the underside clean since I bought it so this is the only trouble spot I've seen. Frame is in excellent shape for the year otherwise. Was thinking about removing the bars and derusting the entire area on both sides and hitting it with some rust reformer. I know the hole will eventually have to be welded but I need to stop the rust from spreading before the arms decide to let go of the frame. Will rust reformer work? Any experience with it?

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I've used it long ago on some F-body floor boards, worked as it should, pretty much an encapsulator.

In the area you described, without seeing the extent of the rust, I would scrape what you can, then hit it with some wire wheels and maybe even a dremel drum sander on a flex shaft.

Take the time to remove what you can before you coat it. I've had great results getting as much off that I could then prime it with Rustoleum rusty metal primer.

Maybe even some Por-15 once you get it clean. I would try both of those before the rust reformer given the more critical area you are working with.

Also, check the top of the RH frame rail next to the muffler. That area is somewhat hidden and I found a small area I may need to replace with a small piece of 1/4" steel. Only area on my frame that was remotely bad.

Stuntmanmike77

Original poster
May 6, 2018
Sanford, ME
Will do. Figures I just fixed all the heat shields cause the original fasteners broke through but at least I know nothing will break if I need to take them down. What about primer and chassis paint? POR15 is pricey!

TobyU

Oct 31, 2019
SW Ohio
My front driver side broke in half. I knew it had some rust and little rectangular hole in it but I didn't think it was that compromised.
Parking lot turning into spot popped it.

I like to scrape loose rust then use Loctite Extend converter once or twice. I like Extend much better that rust reformer. I think the chemical are different too. 2-2 butoxyethanol in whats listed in extend and has been since the late 80s but I don't even know if that is the active do-something ingredient. Lol
Then rustoleum black paint. Then after dry you can undercoat but undercoating can cause more harm than good.
The oil bases things like fluid film, woolwax, corrosion free. New Hampshire oil, seem to be the best...or even used motor oil and you can melt and add paraffin to it to make it thicker and kind of hyde up.
Anything is better than doing nothing except maybe spraying undercoating over lots of flacky rusted metal.

Reactions: Stuntmanmike77

Stuntmanmike77

Original poster
May 6, 2018
Sanford, ME
Will have to possibly make a reinforcement out of a thick steel stock?, shape it to match and have it welded to the outside of the bracket and go from there. This is the only bad part on my frame so far. While we're on the subject, what does it mean when it rains water drips from the rear pass. side body mount? Anything frame related?

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Check out Ospho for coating and halting rust spreading. I got a gallon from Ace Hardware for $25ish. Very thin, doesn't take much. It stains plastic and concrete, so prep your area accordingly.

Reactions: Stuntmanmike77

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Forgot to mention, I used Evaporust to clean up an old Kohler K motor from a Deere, it was in rough shape.

I used a drain pan filled with about a gallon of the Evaporust and fed the motor with an old submersible fishtank pump and an array of clear tubing and shop towels for wicking.

You could accomplish the same with a large pan to collect the runoff, and let the pump run for a few days.

The stuff is simply amazing, here's a before and after pic. It took a seriously rusty piece of iron and transformed it. You wouldn't believe this without a pic.
Screenshot_20200720-133802_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200720-133847_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200720-133913_Chrome (1).jpg

Screenshot_20200720-133944_Chrome.jpg

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
With regards to the area where the control arm attaches, my thought was to run a tube into that area and let it run for a few days.

I've never tried anything like that, but I agree it would be challenging, The way that motor had the rust removed was mainly from runoff.

A wild idea at best.

Billdaman1

Nov 14, 2018
Ohio
I used over a half case of Fluid Film on my XUV and I have to say the stuff is amazing. i thought it would stay oily and king of yucky, attracting dirt etc. Actually once it drys you can tell the film has seeped beneath the rust and into the base metal surface.

Spots that I thought looked questionable due to all the scaling now look good enough to not worry about. After the treatment I did over the Christmas week I have no reservations driving the truck in the snow, salt and slop we get in these parts.

People swear by this stuff and I think and annual application is all thats needed. 10$ a can x 6 to give the underbody a fighting chance once the rust has started.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher