Rust on new rotor

Mark20

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I received my new pads and rotors from Rock Auto. One rotor has more than just a little surface rust.

View attachment 30331

Opinions? I can feel it through the plastic. At first thought I think I can take my Dremal and the brass brush attachment to polish it off.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1377278284997.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377278284997.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 30

Mark20

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
But the other one is perdect.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
meerschm said:
I would send em back.

considering the cost of shipping a heavy rotor back, I'd just live with.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
Rock auto should eat the cost

or just send a replacement

from rock auto site:

"Shipping charges are not refundable unless the return is due to our mistake"

I would think rusty rotor is their problem

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
You have to use cleaner to get off the shipping and storage grease anyway.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
the roadie said:
You have to use cleaner to get off the shipping and storage grease anyway.

if there was grease on it, it would not have rusted.

the other one was fine, and he said he can feel the rust (has changed dimensions) means to me this was soaking in storage for a while, not a little rain on the way there. could be soaked in battery acid for all we know.

judgement call, but I vote for having rock auto learn to keep the things stored properly.

Mark20

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I had some more time this evening and took the rotor out of the plastic wrap. Most of the rust on the back braking surface wiped right off with a damp paper towel. Just the slightest discoloration left. One spot is a tad bit heavier but I'm sure it will come off with my Dremel and the brass rotary brush I have. The rust is heavier in the hat area but that is a non braking surface and if GM put threaded bolt holes to help get the rotor off the hub they expected that to rust.

I won't have time to do the brakes this weekend, so I think I'll leave cleaning the last rust off until next weekend.

Any other thoughts are still welcome.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
OK, Full disclosure,

I think I am still a bit disappointed in Rock auto from my experience with the rear window regulator I ordered from them.

they sent the wrong regulator (for a LWB) in the box with the correct part number for a SWB. did the refund after photos e-mailed,

but would not refund the return shipping in the amount from the UPS desk receipt. they did cover return shipping, but only to the amount they would have paid. not that a dollar will starve my children, but it was entirely their mistake and my having to run around.

other stuff I got from them was well packed and fine, including front and rear disks and pads.

the brake disk will probably be fine. hope the rest of the brake job goes well for you.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Mark20 said:
I had some more time this evening and took the rotor out of the plastic wrap. Most of the rust on the back braking surface wiped right off with a damp paper towel. Just the slightest discoloration left. One spot is a tad bit heavier but I'm sure it will come off with my Dremel and the brass rotary brush I have. The rust is heavier in the hat area but that is a non braking surface and if GM put threaded bolt holes to help get the rotor off the hub they expected that to rust.

I won't have time to do the brakes this weekend, so I think I'll leave cleaning the last rust off until next weekend.

Any other thoughts are still welcome.

Mark,the rotor will be fine,rusting is what rotors do best...oh yeah and stopping too. Besides getting RA to admit that they screwed up is like pulling teeth, I know first hand, only threats and massive amounts of information got them to admit their mistake..live with it...Mike.

02TrailBlazer

Jan 22, 2013
You gotta paint those rotors :yes:
If you're not comfortable just having the pads take the paint off then just paint everything but the braking surfaces. Helps in the long haul!

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
northcreek said:
Mark,the rotor will be fine,rusting is what rotors do best...
right.. you can spend your time calling them up, get frustrated complaining, pack them back up, ship them back, wait for the exchange...

bottom line is, next spring your pristine rotor will be way more rusted than that anyway :confused: so whats the point :confused:

Mark20

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I'm going to go ahead and use it. Just wasn't expecting to find the rust there on a new sealed rotor. It looked worse than it is.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
If the rust is significant the voids could chew up the pads early. Like sending ham through a deli slicer. Im with Mike .Return it.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
you might want to put a dab or two of anti-sieze where the disk contacts the hub, and where the wheel sets. just a bit so it does not end up on any breaking surface.

post a few photos when you get it off on how the old disks and parking brake looks, if you can.

v7guy

Dec 4, 2011
comparing any small amount of rust (like in your pics) on a rotor to pad/braking problems is like saying slotted rotors will destroy your brakes. Despite being technically accurate that it might, maybe, could, happen. It's silly in the real world. The little ridge you might have in the rotor from rust is insignificant compared to what it will see in its service life. In addition, the area that is rusted on the rotor is almost completely out of the swept area of the pad. There should be no issue as installed, after the normal wiping it down with brake cleaner/acetone. I've gotten rotors straight from the parts store with a bit of rust and had no issues.

You can be a nervous nelly and swap em out if it makes you feel better, then get a replacement in a week and do the job. Or you can bolt those on and get the same results and not have to wait.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
What brand of rotor is this? I am guessing the house brand? Cheapo?

Any manufacturer or store that allows stuff like this to sit around and rust just doesn't have good customer service IMHO. It's very apparent.

They should be NO reason for brake rotors to have rust on them...at all. Every rotor I have received from O'Reilly's has been excellent. Consider a local store next time for stuff this heavy instead of paying for shipping. In this case you would have been given a no hassle return from a local store instead of coming here and worrying about return shipping. My .02

Mark20

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Its ACDelco. Bought it through Rock Auto. Unfortunately, made in China

Again, almost all of the rust on the braking surface wiped off with a damp paper towel leaving no imperfections. One spot is a little heavier and I am going to tackle that with a fine wire brush.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online