rust dots and oxidation

06envoydenali

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
whats up guys just washed the truck today after a rough winter (only got one hand wash in) and there is oxidation and rust dots all over the hood and doors, any ideas on what products are the best to use and the ones to stay away from? I dont think i need anything to abrasive but i dont know all that much about oxidation or rust residue. :confused: thanks:thumbsup:

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
believe the red dots are called "rail dust"
i have it on my white TB every year. also got it on my other 2 white vehicles i prev. owned.
suggest clay bar application to get rid of them. followed by a good wax job.
that may help your oxidation issue also.

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
What he said.

The rust dots are partially the result of a shitty clear coat application that traps particles within it. These particles rust over time and end up as these little rust spots you are talking about.

Wash throuroughly. Clay bar the whole ride and seal the deal with a good polymer based, clear coat safe wax. :thumbsup:

OR

You can always get a new paint job (to replace the shitty one). :crazy:

TheBad

Dec 4, 2011
I agree, Claybar will remove the oxidation as well as the rail dust (rust dots).
The technique I use is:
1) Wash thoroughly.
2) Claybar vehicle.
3) Compound any trouble spots.
4) Polish back to high shine.
5) Wax to protect shine.

Cable810

Dec 5, 2011
I have sorta the same issue, just in certian Aeras. Will have to do the Claybar!

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
we were just talking about this at the midwest meet yesturday...

claybar is your best friend... love the outcome... takes a long time.. but well worth it..

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Claybar is awesome, even a relatively quickie job helps tremendously. For example I clayed my Camaro on Saturday, one swipe down the top edge of the door and the clay was brown! When I finished the paint felt so much smoother, almost like glass.

Just make sure to keep the surface wet and lubricated :yes: Most kits come with a spray detailer you can use, but I've always run out before the clay is used up. Maybe I use too much spray. Anyway, some car soap mixed with water in a spray bottle works fine too.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I definitely need to get mine cleaned up.

06envoydenali

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
thanks for all the feed back, lately when i use clay, no matter how much spray wax i apply the clay color rubs off on the paint. It may be that the clay was old but when i opened the a new sealed package it did the same thing. Do you thing clay goes bad even in it original seal pack. I bought a 3 pack of clay about a year and a halve ago, you think it went bad?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
No it shouldn't. Mine was older too but was fine. I used Meguiars.

Did you thoroughly wash the car first, then knead the clay until it was softer?

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
not trying to steal ones tread but i have little white looking cracks in the hood looks like it gets too hot or something you think maybe the clay bar would help get rid of that also ??

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
I didn't have a clay bar when I bought the TB, and it had spots all over it. I used Meguiar's Paint Cleaner and some elbow grease and they all came out. Then I waxed it with Meguiar's Tech Wax. Just the Tech wax every once in a while since, but 3 years later the spots never came back, and it spends 7 days a week parked less than 100 yards from a very busy railroad track (The source of rail dust). Mine just needs a good polish now

06envoydenali

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Sparky said:
No it shouldn't. Mine was older too but was fine. I used Meguiars.

Did you thoroughly wash the car first, then knead the clay until it was softer?

I washed it and polished it with swirl-scratch remover, knead the clay and it still left yellow clay on the hood. the only other logical reason i can think of is that the hood was still to hot from sitting in the sun all day?:confused:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
06envoydenali said:
I washed it and polished it with swirl-scratch remover, knead the clay and it still left yellow clay on the hood. the only other logical reason i can think of is that the hood was still to hot from sitting in the sun all day?:confused:

Yellow? Hm the clay I used was white.

It does need to be a cool surface. I did mine in the evening after dinner.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online