Running Boards - Ionic Gladiator brand

Jkust

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I want to put some running boards on my 9-7x to stop the stones from hitting the side of the car. I have the factory chrome edged ones on the Rainier that are effective and semi-attractive. Has anybody had any experience with the Ionic gladiator boards? They are nicer looking but are over 1.5 inches narrower than the oem ones. I really like the chrome end caps. Not sure what the down side is of narrower boards. Take a look at the link and let me know what you think.

Ionic Gladiator Running Boards | Free Shipping

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Maybe the narrower board wouldn't do as good of a job deflecting stones?

I'm not fully convinced on the effectiveness of running boards protecting the paint on the doors, as my 02 had running boards AND mudflaps when I got it and the paint still has some wear. I've since removed the boards as they got in the way for me and the stock boards on TBs are plain ugly lol. I still have the flaps.

Jkust

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Sparky said:
Maybe the narrower board wouldn't do as good of a job deflecting stones?

I'm not fully convinced on the effectiveness of running boards protecting the paint on the doors, as my 02 had running boards AND mudflaps when I got it and the paint still has some wear. I've since removed the boards as they got in the way for me and the stock boards on TBs are plain ugly lol. I still have the flaps.

I was wondering the same thing. It looks they don't hug the car as much and you can see the mounts where as the factory ones there is no gap.

As for the effectiveness, here is my logic:
Our very first Rainier had the oem moulded mud flaps on all four wheels but no running boards. The Rainier has tons of cladding and the cladding had the sand blasting effect on the lower portion of the rear doors.
Our second/current rainier had the OEM running boards but no mud guards and has none of the rock chips/sand blasting. I added mud guards all around anyway when I got it at 46,000 miles so nothing flicks up at my boat. Without the front mudguards, slush collects on the running boards also in the winter. Since I just paid cash for the 9-7 which was fine but I just got the out of state title for it so had to register it in MN and had to pay the insane MN sales tax and several hundred for plates and tabs. Most of the money I planned on using for mods is now in the government's hands. Now add xmas presents to that, getting my snowmobile fixed and a bunch of other stuff so I'm playing the running boards by ear.

Today I will try to add an extra pair of mudflaps i've got in the garage to the front wheels of the 9-7 for now until I decide.

I do really like the look of these runningboards especially with the chrome caps.

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
i know this is an old thread.... maybe should have started a new one..

Curious to see a Rainier with running boards. also any idea where i can purchase these. i dont want the ones that are just bars i want actual running boards like the trailblazer has

any info would be great thanks

EDIT*****
So yea i saw your link... thanks haha ... they had what i was looking for.. just wish i knew how to delete a post to save myself the embarrassment EDIT****

Jkust

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Don't think I have a single picture of my wife's Rainier with the OEM boards.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175

Members Online