NEED HELP Running board installation questions

Riktar

Original poster
Sep 1, 2017
Neosho, WI
My wife is disabled and needs running boards to enter our Trailblazer without assistance. So I got a good deal on an Ionic factory style running board set.

The mounting brackets are basically rolled edge "L" brackets and according to the instruction, each of the three use a single 8mm bolt to attach to the body by way of a factory nut on the underside of the body. The brackets have a provision for another bolt (above the one shown) but the instructions state that I would have to drill into the body and use a self tapping bolt.

The thought of trying to drill sideways into the body above my head while laying on my back doesn't thrill me but the thought of having these running boards bending down after repeated use thrills me even less.

My wife and I both weigh well under 200 pounds so it's not like we are heavy weights by any stretch of the imagination.

So I am left wondering if the mounting instructions should have had the line: "Use a single bolt for bracket mounting if all you will do is look at the running boards and never step on them. Otherwise...."

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I agree - I don't think I'd have a lot of faith in stepping on a board with one bolt.

Went looking for the ones you got - not positive I got the same ones, but they do say 'Ionic factory style', so I'm probably close.

Anyway, they're supposed to be rated to 300 lb. So here's what I'd do. Install the driver's side board, and give it a trial run for a couple of days before bolting on the passenger side and having the wife be the guinea pig (which will really suck for you, if the board collapses with her on it).

If 'good'... she'll know you did your best to make sure they were good before having her use them.
If the driver's side looks 'weak' with your weight on it - then you only have one to remove & return.

If you decide to go another route...you might find the actual factory boards in a pick-n-pull (bring some PB Blaster or similar). If you're not too picky, you should be able to use any of the boards from an Envoy (non-Denali), Bravada or Ranier as well - the mounting holes should be common to all, as that's the way GM usually operates (watch someone correct me on this - but, hey - that's why we're all here, right?)

I have the LWB (EXT / XL) - and my factory boards fasten a bit differently (looks like you have the 5-passenger (SWB) - so I don't think the info below will help you.
On mine, there are two bolts on the 'step' portion, and they actually attach to the frame, not the rocker panels, etc. (can't remember how many bolts there, although I could check). I do use mine, as well, getting in / out - and being above 250lb myself, I think they're pretty sturdy.

Reactions: RTTBLT1

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
When I pulled the stock boards off my EXT, each bracket was attached to the inner rocker panel (not the frame) with 4 bolts each except for the rear one which had only 3 because of space limitations. The nuts were welded-in to the inside of the rockers. That was a lot of bolts to undo because there was no room for any type of impact because the frame was in the way.

krunal88

Apr 13, 2022
South FL
Old thread, but wanted to ask if all Trailblazers (swb) have the holes to install the running boards even though it wasn’t a factory option. I’m guessing the holes are there already regardless right?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Here You Go...

...and later on when time permits, Check out THIS same Dude on YT (HE is an absolute HOOT!) in his other Trailblazer "Change the Tail Light Modules" with his "Old Lady" Helping him working the Camera...

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Short answer... yes.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I can confirm they do. I just installed some Junkyard ones that I stole of a Trailblazer, and installed them on my Saab. Straight forward. If going the used route, make sure you get all the nuts and bolts with it.

Reactions: mrrsm and Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And the Saabs NEVER came with running boards :wink:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online