RUMOR - GMC Envoy returning?

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Given they resurrected the Blazer badge on a FWD crossover I would not be surprised if there was a GMC variant. Don't expect it to be based on the Colorado.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
GM has been heading to the shitter so why would they change that philosophy now? Maybe the overseas TrailBlazer brought over as the Envoy?

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Surprises me that they actually had to refile the trademark (it's a 'trademark', btw, not a 'patent'...just sayin')

Once a model is released by a marque with a specific name, you never see another company use that name - even years / decades after production ceases.

The link describes GMC supposedly wanting to offer a cute-ute smaller than the Terrain, and call it 'Granite'. I think a better name for something like that might be 'Pebble'. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Mooseman

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
LOL bring the Envoy but not the Trailblazer? Hmmm

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Maybe 'cos the TB is a current nameplate in overseas markets - ?

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I don't see why they'd even bother, they've already got too many of these soccer-mom-esque "CUV's".

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe 'cos the TB is a current nameplate in overseas markets - ?

It was here first, dammit!

Surprises me that they actually had to refile the trademark (it's a 'trademark', btw, not a 'patent'...just sayin')

I found that strange too. I'm pretty sure they didn't have to re-register Camaro when it was resurrected.

The SUV/CUV market is saturated. Anyway, whatever it will be, it will be hideous, underpowered and a shell of its former namesake. The new crap coming out of GM's acid trip induced designs lately have been vomit inspiring to say the least.

Reactions: Capote

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
They can also renew the trademark so they don't lose the name...

Reactions: Capote

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
They can also renew the trademark so they don't lose the name...

After seeing this, I went and looked up the 'rules' on trademarks - and - they *do* need to be renewed. 1st time at 6yrs, and then every 10yrs afterward. 6mo grace period if the holder 'forgets' to renew in time.

So...
All those model names...are apparently getting renewed by the manufacturers, on an ongoing basis
And...
This whole thread (and the article referenced) may have been much ado about nothing (sorry, OP)

Reactions: Mounce

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Wonder if they renewed their currently defunct brand names like Pontiac and Oldsmobile? I'd imagine they'd want to protect them "just in case" :undecided:

There's a lot of names out there. Wonder how many they do keep renewing? Some notables that come to mind are Firebird, Nova, Grand National.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
They renewed chevelle a few years ago I believe.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
They renewed chevelle a few years ago I believe.
I believe that was just a tossing around of the idea IIRC at some auto show a few years back.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I believe that was just a tossing around of the idea IIRC at some auto show a few years back.
Just the name. The chevelle and Malibu are one in the same so it really wouldn't make sense for them to offer it now. Too much other crap anyway.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Just the name. The chevelle and Malibu are one in the same so it really wouldn't make sense for them to offer it now. Too much other crap anyway.
And with the crappy situation going on with the auto industry as of late :hopeless:

Reactions: littleblazer

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Once a model is released by a marque with a specific name, you never see another company use that name - even years / decades after production ceases.

Thats not entirely true, although its rare. There was a limited production run of a -FORD- Durango. There are limited other instances of this, but it does happen, thou rare.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Thats not entirely true, although its rare. There was a limited production run of a -FORD- Durango. There are limited other instances of this, but it does happen, thou rare.

You're being kind. It's not true *at all*, it turns out.
This time, I did some due diligence, and searched for 'recycled car names'. Here's what came up.

Some interesting ad copy there, for those interested in nostalgia. And I had to grab this and paste it here, for laughs... (e.g.; the idea of using this to launch / retrieve a boat...or tow it...)

1545172483532.png
(addn'l joke -- is that Jonas Grumby on the LH side?)

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
You're being kind. It's not true *at all*, it turns out.
This time, I did some due diligence, and searched for 'recycled car names'. Here's what came up.

Some interesting ad copy there, for those interested in nostalgia. And I had to grab this and paste it here, for laughs... (e.g.; the idea of using this to launch / retrieve a boat...or tow it...)

View attachment 86848
(addn'l joke -- is that Jonas Grumby on the LH side?)
My grandfather used a VW beetle and my dad used a 73 caddy deville to tow boats. Just saying lol.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I had a Citation with the Iron Duke. The most gawd awful car ever made. It's couldn't tow a canoe.

Is that the Skipper launching the SS Minnow?

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I never knew his name other than Skipper despite having watched that show since childhood. Loved that show!

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Yeah, I don't think I ever saw the episode(s -?) where they said his 'given' name. It was much more recently I found that out; unusual (?) enough that I just sorta remembered it.

Sometimes I like to not hit all of you over the head with obviousness...LOL

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.