rough idle/low oil pressure

GCTB1289

Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Ok so i finally got home. start driving the truck fuel it up and stop at the light and it dies says "low oil pressure" start it back up and it runs. it does this every so often especially with the constant stop and go. it did just go through hurricane sandy but was not driven during the storm or through any puddles until today when i was checking on some of the damage to some of my friends houses water was only deep enough to cover the rubber on the bottom part of the tire and just touch the rim. went slow through the water as well. I checked the oil an it was ok but could use a quart and i added one and it still did it. i'm going to do a motor flush and oil change tomorrow and hope that works. but i'm not sure what else to check for. I did a search on here and didn't find anything.

Hoping y'all can help me with this issue.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
When was the last time you cleaned the throttle body?
Also, when the RPM's get low enough, the low oil pressure will light up.

GCTB1289

Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Ok so that could mean it could be my original thought on the fuel pump starting to go. Still original I believe. I cleaned the throttle body about a year ago and it hasn't been driven much since then ill check it in the morning

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
When mine did that ('05 Envoy I-6), the oil pressure switch (they call it a sending unit) was bad.

It's just above the oil filter, easy to change and to buy.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
RayVoy said:
When mine did that ('05 Envoy I-6), the oil pressure switch (they call it a sending unit) was bad.

It's just above the oil filter, easy to change and to buy.

Its easy only after getting the special socket to put it in.

GCTB1289 said:
Ok so i finally got home. start driving the truck fuel it up and stop at the light and it dies

I've seen this happen when someone refuels and they keep pumping gas to "top off" even after the pump stops. What this can do is poison the charcoal canister used to hold vapors for the evap system. Seen more times during the summer when vapor pressure is highest. When the EVAP solenoid opens the engine ingests liquid fuel and it dies at idle.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Mine has done that a few times and it ended up being my camshaft position actuator solenoid.

GCTB1289

Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
ok so i got ahold of the scanner at my uncles shop and it turned out to be the camshaft position sensor. who would've thought a little $60 part would cause that much trouble. hahaha

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
GCTB1289 said:
ok so i got ahold of the scanner at my uncles shop and it turned out to be the camshaft position sensor. who would've thought a little $60 part would cause that much trouble. hahaha

Check to see if the retaining bolt is loose before condemning the sensor.

Feb 24, 2012
If the low oil pressure warning comes after it stalls, that would be expected.

GCTB1289

Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
yes i checked everything. was just a cheap $60 sensor. runs much better now

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlyatauction

Members Online