Rough idle and shaking

VoyDude

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
So my Voy begins shaking when I start it up in the mornings. It shakes and idles rough until it warms up and then its fine. Wont shake at any stops or when I have it park, just in the morning when I start her up. Funny thing is that this started happening after my battery died. :confused: I have cleaned the throttle body, disconnected battery overnight and seafoamed. I will be cleaning/replacing the CPAS next week as well as doing an oil change. Any other possible reasons why this may be happening? Has anyone else had this happen? Suggestions are very much welcomed.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Opeth said:
Engine mounts, tune up.

I believe, if it was engine mounts, you'd have a constant vibration, but it is worth checking. Have to ask, what is there to tune up? There's no points like the cars I grew up with...electronic ignition really can't go out of tune. But if you mean an oil change, that really doesn't have any bearing on it running rough in the morning.

To the OP: When you cleaned the TB, you did take it off to do both sides and were careful with the butterfly? How many miles do you have and have you got a reader on it to see with you have any past or pending codes?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
How many miles? Ever change the plugs? Any other maintenance history or SES lights on?

Opeth

Mar 25, 2012
Tune up = plugs, coil boots, tb cleaning (OP stated already done), replacing weak coil packs...Same as it has always meant lol.

Engine mounts could be on their way out, Roadie has posted about this several times. At certain resonance, vibrations are more prevalent than others. I think his was more idle speeds tho.

Batch of bad gas, perhaps water in the fuel tank..

VoyDude

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Sorry couldn't get back to you guys earlier...been extremely busy with work. Well...I will be doing the oil change (synthetic), spark plugs and CPAS this weekend (finally have time), ill check the mounts once I have the hood open...also thinking of changing the Camshaft Position Sensor. I have a K&N air filter and will be cleaning it and recharging it as well.

To reply to your questions: I did remove the throttle body and cleaned both sides and I was also very careful with the butterfly. I have disconnected the battery overnight. The Voy has 130k and I have only had 1 code which I took care of last year. It was running smoothly prior to battery dying and vibration starting. I will keep you guys posted on the results. Hopefully vibration goes away.

Thanks again for the replies. :thumbsup:

VoyDude

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
So I have done everything as stated above. There is a small decrease in the vibration but it is still very noticeable. While I was under the car the other day and looking around the cover, I noticed there was some oil on the corner closest to front passenger side. I thought it could be a oil leak but checked everything and it all looks good. No oil around the engine at all. Oil however is closer to fender which leads to my question. Are the motor mounts hydraulic? I believe they are which would explain a lot at this point. If this is the case then my passenger side motor mount is shot. In any case I ordered OEM engine mounts and will be replacing both. Gonna have some beers and music playing in the garage while I do the job so it should make for a fun afternoon. I'll keep you guys posted.

Hoping this cures the vibration because if it doesn't I might have to "Hulk Smash" everything in site.:mad::rotfl:

Lima Tango

Dec 4, 2011
VoyDude said:
In any case I ordered OEM engine mounts and will be replacing both. Gonna have some beers and music playing in the garage while I do the job so it should make for a fun afternoon.

Love this attitude. Applies to everything.

Gotta do my taxes today. Gonna have some beers and music playing so it should make for a fun afternoon.

Gotta get a prostate exam today. Gonna have some beers and music playing so it should make for a fun afternoon.

Gotta go to my grandma's funeral today. Gonna have some beers and music playing so it should make for a fun afternoon.

VoyDude

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Indeed Lima! Indeed!

So here is my update:

Spent the afternoon changing the mounts, listening to music and have some beers as stated above. Read previous threads on this and as advised I took off the brackets. Taking them off made the job a little easier. The passenger side mount was definitely a lot easier to take off. The drivers side mount on the other hand was a PITA!! After both mounts were in and everything was back together I turned her on and guess what.......VIBRATION GONE!!! She purrs like a kitten. Seriously, I haven't felt the Voy this smooth since I drove her off the lot in 04. Idle is smooth, shifting is smooth and there is a very noticeable silence inside the car. Still get some road noise and such but definitely different compared to what she was sounding like with the vibration.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Love this site. It has definitely helped with the Voy. So now I think I am going to look into getting a CAI and perhaps the PCM tune. Also thinking of looking into changing the struts. :undecided: Thanks again guys.:thumbsup:

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
I got the same thing going on at startup right now. Seems to me like its the spark plugs which I'll be replacing soon (I'm at 97k :tongue:). Is it worth getting a full tune-up done or just do the plugs and be done with it? Also, I usually order my own parts for my mechanic to use on my truck, so what all would I have to order as part of a tune-up in addition to the plugs?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
DenaliHD66 said:
...what all would I have to order as part of a tune-up in addition to the plugs?
There's nothing that regularly needs changing except fluids, air filter, and the plugs. Only use Delco 41-103 iridiums.

No plug wires. No distributor. No rotor. No condenser.

Clean the throttle body if it hasn't been done within 30K or so. Especially make sure the transfer case is changed if you're 4WD, every 50K.

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
There's nothing that regularly needs changing except fluids, air filter, and the plugs. Only use Delco 41-103 iridiums.

No plug wires. No distributor. No rotor. No condenser.

Clean the throttle body if it hasn't been done within 30K or so. Especially make sure the transfer case is changed if you're 4WD, every 50K.

Yeah thanks I do all of that. I noticed how pricey the ignition coils were (times 6) so I'll just do the plugs. When I get my e-fan, I'll take out and clean/replace the CPAS if needed.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175