NEED HELP Rough idle 06 trailblazer 4.2

Garydoolin

Original poster
May 5, 2022
Kentucky
Hey guys. I have a 2006 trailblazer 4.2 164000 miles. I have had the rough idle in it since I had it. I have pulled and cleaned the TB several times over the years I've had it (I bought it when it had 80000) and it would always fixed It. I would always do the relearn procedure also. It started again about 2 months ago. It idles rough in park, neutral, any way you slice it. The tach moves from 600 down to about 300 and back and forth. It is worse when the A/C is on but it is there regardless. It runs fine while driving. I took the TB off and it was not dirty at all this time. I just put new plugs in it ac delco 41-103. No change. We hooked it to the scanner and I have the following codes.

PO014 exhaust cam position system performance

PO017 CKP TO exhaust Cmp correlation B1

PO420 catalyst efficiency low bank 1
( I cut the cat off. Gonna do a tune to delete it and fix this problem)

PO455 evap leak large
(Gonna change the vent valve canister as it showed a leak on smoke test)

PO463 fuel level sensor.
(Replacing fuel pump with new sending unit)

Also it is lacking power and I'm getting bad MPG. 12 at best. I was getting 15-17 when I first got it. I appreciate any info on this. Thanks.

Gary

Garydoolin

Original poster
May 5, 2022
Kentucky
Hey guys. I have a 2006 trailblazer 4.2 164000 miles. I have had the rough idle in it since I had it. I have pulled and cleaned the TB several times over the years I've had it (I bought it when it had 80000) and it would always fixed It. I would always do the relearn procedure also. It started again about 2 months ago. It idles rough in park, neutral, any way you slice it. The tach moves from 600 down to about 300 and back and forth. It is worse when the A/C is on but it is there regardless. It runs fine while driving. I took the TB off and it was not dirty at all this time. I just put new plugs in it ac delco 41-103. No change. We hooked it to the scanner and I have the following codes.

PO014 exhaust cam position system performance

PO017 CKP TO exhaust Cmp correlation B1

PO420 catalyst efficiency low bank 1
( I cut the cat off. Gonna do a tune to delete it and fix this problem)

PO455 evap leak large
(Gonna change the vent valve canister as it showed a leak on smoke test)

PO463 fuel level sensor.
(Replacing fuel pump with new sending unit)

Also it is lacking power and I'm getting bad MPG. 12 at best. I was getting 15-17 when I first got it. I appreciate any info on this. Thanks.

Gary
Additional info it it helps it seems like it does it after it warms up to operating temperature.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation...

Your BEST Point Of Origin for MOST Engine Q&As begins and ends with @Mooseman 's Epic FAQ Thread:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
It almost sounds like the VVT solenoid, if not the... the... I cant remember what its called. Its on the cam sprocket and forwards or retards the timing on that cam..

Anyways, the 4.2 is very sensitive to oil, and the cleanliness of the oil. When the VVT Solenoid gets even a tiny bit dirty on the screen, you can get the problems you list.

I am no expert on the 4.2, so I will let the experts explain it further.

A recent video put up on YouTube about the P0014 on a 2006 Trailblazer, and how to replace it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Try the CPAS first as explained by @TollKeeper and also clean the cam position sensor. If that doesn't resolve it, try having a CASE relearn done, which requires an advanced scanner or Tech 2.

It could also be the cam phaser (aka: adjustable exhaust cam sprocket). That's a bit more involved to replace.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
CAM PHASER!!! Thats the word(s) I was looking for!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Cam Position Sensor video for you...

Garydoolin

Original poster
May 5, 2022
Kentucky
OK I change fuel pump and that fixed the po463. Fixed the evap leak. Did the tune to delete the cat and back o2 sensor. I checked the oil when I read that it could cause the po014 and po017 codes. Sure enough it was low. Close to 2 quarts. Changed the oil and don't have those codes any longer.

Now as we were doing the tune and it was hooked to the laptop we were looking at live data and the rpms was bouncing between 590 and down to 420. Back and forth. Still wose when A/C was on but still there without it on. I have cleaned the TB as stated above and still no help. Also did the relearn. What else could it be? Do you think my TB is bad?
Thanks
Gary

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What relearn did you do? Our usual way is to disconnect the battery or pull the PCM fuse 10 for at least 30 minutes while we clean the throttle body.

Reactions: Redbeard

Garydoolin

Original poster
May 5, 2022
Kentucky
What relearn did you do? Our usual way is to disconnect the battery or pull the PCM fuse 10 for at least 30 minutes while we clean the throttle body.
It is idling good now. I cleaned the TB again and I had the battery disconnected. After I got it cleaned and the battery hooked back up I did this, starting with number 2

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220519-104327_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220519-104327_Chrome.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 34

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That may work for V8's but it certainly doesn't for the 4.2. The battery disconnection is the only one that works for sure. Glad you got it figured out.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
I do believe that's the process outlined by the OP that's in the GM SI when no tech 2 is used.

Last edited:

Garydoolin

Original poster
May 5, 2022
Kentucky
That may work for V8's but it certainly doesn't for the 4.2. The battery disconnection is the only one that works for sure. Glad you got it figured out.
I didn't know that. I guess it was the battery disconnection is what did it. Either way I'm just glad it is fixed. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online