Rotor touches caliper on top inside of my wife's car

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Alright all you VS adversaries, the forum for my wife's mazda3 is VS owned so I'm asking here :biggrin:

The inside of the pass side rotor is touching :eek: the caliper. Pad is 3/8-1/4 inch thick in view slot in center of rotor. I can post a pic later if necessary.

So why in bloody smells is the rotor and caliper making contact? I can tap it a little to eliminate the contact but it is by no means centered over rotor like the driver side is. Ideas??? :confused: TIA!

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
Did you check to see if the caliper bolts are loose ...or missing?

If it were me, I'd remove the wheel and begin the process of elimination by checking the two caliper bolts, guide pins, bracket bolts, etc.

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
hockeyman said:
Did you check to see if the caliper bolts are loose ...or missing?

If it were me, I'd remove the wheel and begin the process of elimination by checking the two caliper bolts, guide pins, bracket bolts, etc.

yeah, I did that immediately and now I am stumped. I will try to have a more experienced buddy do the same later.

Next step? Alignment was checked and found within specs. Could they have goofed. Everything "looks" and "feels" good...:crazy:

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012

Attachments

• m3a.jpg
    m3a.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 3
  • m3.jpg
    m3.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 4

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
Ohh, it's scraping on the inside.... I thought it was scraping on the outside of the rotor where the vent slots are located.

Is it rubbing at all times as the rotor is turning, or is it only at a specific spot of the rotor?

* If it's at a specific spot, I'd guess a warped rotor or bent axle.
* If it's scraping the whole time as the wheel is spinning, then I'd guess that "something like" an impact with a curb broke/dented parts within the rear pumpkin, suspension, or axle. Or all the above.

I'm no expert though. I hope someone else comes in here to clarify things a bit better than what I have mentioned. I'm just taking a shot-in-the-dark here.

"Paging Roadie...please pick up line one!" :thumbsup:

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
hockeyman said:
* If it's scraping the whole time as the wheel is spinning, then I'd guess that "something like" an impact with a curb broke/dented parts within the rear pumpkin, suspension, or axle. Or all the above
Sorry, it's pass side up front. Strong possibility it was impact? Shock and bearing went out in last 2yrs on that side.

hockeyman said:
"Paging Roadie...please pick up line one!" :thumbsup:

lol, my thoughts. Couple others too. She wants to keep it!

The rotor definitely rubs the entire rotation, doesn't "sit" as it should :mad:

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Playsinsnow said:
hockeyman said:
* If it's scraping the whole time as the wheel is spinning, then I'd guess that "something like" an impact with a curb broke/dented parts within the rear pumpkin, suspension, or axle. Or all the above
Sorry, it's pass side up front. Strong possibility it was impact? Shock and bearing went out in last 2yrs on that side.

lol, my thoughts. Couple others too. She wants to keep it!

The rotor definitely rubs the entire rotation, doesn't "sit" as it should :mad:

I had similar situation when I was putting my car back together where the rotor was rubbing. I can't exactly remember what it was right now but something was off when I put it on (bolt,etc). I didn't have to change anything just realized a small mistake. Was something done on it recently?

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Looks like the caliper bracket and not the caliper...is that correct? If the bracket is still mounted to the knuckle, it could be the hub and bearing has failed and has been pushed back into the knuckle. Not likely but all I can think of right now.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
If you spin on a couple of lugs with the wheel off does the rotor bottom out on the hub?

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
MAY03LT said:
If you spin on a couple of lugs with the wheel off does the rotor bottom out on the hub?

Bottom out on the hub? Rotot definitely slides down? Think the guy who smashed his thumb pressing old hub out (I won't say how many hours me and three others tried in a garage) goofed the install? Possible... No grinding or similar wheel bearing noise at all.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175