Roof Rack Removal

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
I am looking to remove my roof rack this weekend, But I was searching on the OS and it seems nobody has any problems with leaks at all? What have you used to cover the holes? Just the bolts? Do they leave any gap where the roof rack use to be? Thank you! Sorry for all the questions Thanks Again!

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Yes the factory bolts are too long and yea. I used set screws and they r the lowest profile u can get. Or...u can do the side molding mod and put ur moldings on top to cover the holes. If u do the screw option use silicone for sealant.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
The factory bolts are long but not too long lol mine fit right back :yes: But I ordered set screws also but I got english instead of metric which was just that much bigger so they only go in so much :frown: so I have flat chrome screws which did the job just right and hide and blend in pretty good. But if you want set screws get m6-10 for the measurement and I say get them online...in the store they were $1.60 each :eek: which was too much to me lol

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
3rd option is what i did, go to the zone and purchase a box of ford door panel clips(there is like 15 in a box for lik5-6$) cut the top extension portion off, and 3 of the 4 sides of the "christmas tree splines" (this allows you to screw them into the threads) now i put a lil bit of rtv sealer under the cap to seal it to the roof, check out my pics you cant even really tell

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
ghenny440 said:
3rd option is what i did, go to the zone and purchase a box of ford door panel clips(there is like 15 in a box for lik5-6$) cut the top extension portion off, and 3 of the 4 sides of the "christmas tree splines" (this allows you to screw them into the threads) now i put a lil bit of rtv sealer under the cap to seal it to the roof, check out my pics you cant even really tell

Your truck looks great man!! :yes::thumbsup: If you de mold and get some SS rims it will be so beautiful!!

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
So what size are the screws in the store? I am willing to pay $1.60 a peice, will I still have to use Silicone? Also, Untill I Get the screws I can just put washers on the Black stock bolts right? Thanks

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Your truck looks great man!! :yes::thumbsup: If you de mold and get some SS rims it will be so beautiful!!

well thankyou sir:thumbsup: i plan on gettin some rims just plan on some aftermarket rims, i hate everything factory:frown: sorry guys, but i gotta say the SS rims are pretty nice, the only other factories i like are on the new buick GS turbos ( i believe they are anyway) those big ass chrome rims :jawdrop2: wow they out did themselves at gm with those ones

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
03envoy said:
So what size are the screws in the store? I am willing to pay $1.60 a peice, will I still have to use Silicone? Also, Untill I Get the screws I can just put washers on the Black stock bolts right? Thanks

just run one of the screws in all the way and mark it with a shaepy at the roof and take that one with you and tell the person you need how ever many setscrews that length and thread, and i would still use a bit of clear silicone lots of members havent and have had success but do you wanna be that guy posting pics of a ruined headliner cuz of some freak happenings

YOUNG

Dec 4, 2011
the screws on mine went right back in and tightened down tightly. i hated the way they looked though..

set screws work amazing!
i went to ace hardware, and they had a screw sizer and you just screw your stock one into it and it tells you the size.. have someone help you! as i dont remember the sizes.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Yea, I could do that. I can always put the rack back on by removing the bolts and silicone you know? HAHA Just in case I ever need it.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
The size of the set screws you need is m6-10 which is metric...you can put the factory ones back in until you get them and you do not need washers or anything, the factory ones have all that, just screw them back in. They might be alittle tight getting the whole thing in but it goes in and works good until you get what you need...but you need 10 screws and at $1.60 each that comes out to $16.96 for the 10 you need to close the holes. to me that was too much lol That is at ACE so maybe another place has them i dont know, autozone = no, o'reilly = no

At the store my screw fit 1/4-28 english and m6-10 and I tested the m6-10 and they fit good but online I ordered the english and that was a fail lol so get the metric :thumbsup: you do not need silicone if you get those

You can do these

[EBAY]390401990153[/EBAY]

ghenny440 said:
well thankyou sir:thumbsup: i plan on gettin some rims just plan on some aftermarket rims, i hate everything factory:frown: sorry guys, but i gotta say the SS rims are pretty nice, the only other factories i like are on the new buick GS turbos ( i believe they are anyway) those big ass chrome rims :jawdrop2: wow they out did themselves at gm with those ones

No prob man!! Yeah the SS rims are pretty much the best looking stock rims for the voy and Tb's! They looks clean and not over done to me at least

Foz

Dec 4, 2011
i used the set screws and silicone and have had no issues...got some color match paint to paint the little nubs that stick out on the roof and it looks just fine.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I used the screws it came with, they fit just fine for me. But I did put the racks back on due to the rounder look it gave the envoy, which to me looked to similar to a van.

But with that said, screws and some silicone would be how I would do it if I were to take them off again.

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
Foz said:
i used the set screws and silicone and have had no issues...got some color match paint to paint the little nubs that stick out on the roof and it looks just fine.

:iagree:
did the same thing, except i used teflon tape on the threads.
no issues in the last 1-1/2 - 2 years.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
I think I am going to just use silicone. That should work without any problems right? Just not put any bolts in and just remove and fill with silicone? Thanks

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
I did the set screws with teflon tape and they didn't leak.

Then I saw another member had used the christmas tree door panel pins, so I switched to those. i used silicone and they didn't leak either.

Those are both completely reversible if you ever want to put the racks back on, I ran a thread chaser to get most of the silicone out when I put mine back on.

03envoy said:
I think I am going to just use silicone. That should work without any problems right? Just not put any bolts in and just remove and fill with silicone? Thanks

I think there is too much of a gap for just silicone. Like ghenny440 said, the panel pins are cheap and many folks can vouch that they didn't leak.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
MAY03LT said:
I did the set screws with teflon tape and they didn't leak.

Then I saw another member had used the christmas tree door panel pins, so I switched to those. i used silicone and they didn't leak either.

Those are both completely reversible if you ever want to put the racks back on, I ran a thread chaser to get most of the silicone out when I put mine back on.

I think there is too much of a gap for just silicone. Like ghenny440 said, the panel pins are cheap and many folks can vouch that they didn't leak.

Will these work? With silicone?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/view...0401990153&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=30298846459

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Yeah those will work, I tried them out and they fit!

Thanks Itsonvoy and May03, I should be doing it this weekend and will be ordering up those set screws tomorrow! Thanks! Too bad there from China and going to take 3 weeks to get here....:frown:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
03envoy said:
Thanks Itsonvoy and May03, I should be doing it this weekend and will be ordering up those set screws tomorrow! Thanks! Too bad there from China and going to take 3 weeks to get here....:frown:

Yeah that is the down fault. Hey if you don't need the extra 10 hit me up :smile:

edit: so are you going to silicone the holes after then? I am not sure if I want to myself or even need to to be honest.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Set screw w/ teflon tape method here. 4 years no leaks. Cost me a total of $7 for 10 set screws and teflon tape, and another $4 for the paint pen with nail polish brush.

I think I am going to use some button head screws painted blue, will give a nice seal and they are fairly cheap.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Just Got done!
Having some computer issues Will have photos up later! Looks Great!

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Yeah that is the down fault. Hey if you don't need the extra 10 hit me up :smile:

edit: so are you going to silicone the holes after then? I am not sure if I want to myself or even need to to be honest.

Yea I am going to use silicone after that just for extra protection. I will be ordering them tonight and If you want I will order them and when I get them talk to you ok?
It will be a little while though thats what sucks!

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
03envoy said:
Yea I am going to use silicone after that just for extra protection. I will be ordering them tonight and If you want I will order them and when I get them talk to you ok?
It will be a little while though thats what sucks!

Yeah thats cool with me man! Just hit me up once they come in or something :thumbsup:

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Yeah thats cool with me man! Just hit me up once they come in or something :thumbsup:

Will do....

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011

Attachments

• IMG_0127.jpg
    IMG_0127.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0126.jpg
    IMG_0126.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0124.jpg
    IMG_0124.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 23

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Nice job man!! :thumbsup: Have you ever thought about removing those black plastic strips on the pillars?

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Nice job man!! :thumbsup: Have you ever thought about removing those black plastic strips on the pillars?

I think I am going to try some plasti-Dip on the plastic pieces on the doors, to color match those pieces to the Black pillar pieces and see how that looks. If it looks bad I probably will remove them....

02 green tb

Dec 4, 2011
San Antonio, TX
When I did my roof rack removal I had to buy 6mm set screws in bulk. I bought 50 of them and only used 10. I now have 30 left if you're interested I'll sell them for $6.00 for a group of 10. I also used silicone (clear) sealant and have had it like this for over a year. I have not had any leaks and it has rained like crazy here this year.View attachment 20166

Attachments

• school 005.jpg
    school 005.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 15
  • third brake 009.jpg
    third brake 009.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 15

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
02 green tb said:
I'll sell them for $6.00 for a group of 10.

I would put them up in the Classifieds on here and see if anyone is interested

Plus he already bought these

[EBAY]390401990153[/EBAY]

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011

Attachments

• IMG_0141.jpg
    IMG_0141.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0140.jpg
    IMG_0140.jpg