RockAuto

Pondscum3310

Original poster
Jul 9, 2018
Houston, TX
Anyone ever use them? Happy with them?

Normally I need a part ASAP so I go to the local auto parts store however I am getting ready to do a rear transmission seal on a truck that I don't have to have asap. The cost is A LOT cheaper. Just wanted to see what others experience are with using them.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I believe @HARDTRAILZ had a bad experience. I've used them a few times but with amazon being roughly the same price and 1 day delivery available on a lot of what I need I usually end up there.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Some here have had there issues with them but me personally I have not. I order from them from time to time when what I want is not available at Amazon or if the price is better at RA. Most times I end up ordering from Amazon for the 2day delivery and end up with what I wanted from RA for less after taxes and shipping fees.

Also RA always has a 5% discount code somewhere online that you can use.

Reactions: Blckshdw

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I use them for parts numbers but always find better pricing on ebay or amazon and I don't have to deal with lies and price changing as i did with RA. Does seem I am in the minority of bad experiences with them, but I won't give them any business these days.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I have never had a problem with them. Had a part in the wrong box once and they took care of it ASAP.

If I need one part or two, Amazon is probably the better deal because even though the part may cost a little more, the free Prime shipping makes up for it. But, I've found when ordering a stack of parts for a project (say a front suspension rehab) that RA becomes the better deal because the combined shipping is better.

Ebay can have good deals but I recently had a seller pull a fast one with trying to pass off a cheapo aftermarket (that didn't work) as the real deal. Got my money back but it was quite the annoyance. Most other times it has been fine though.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I have never had a problem with them. Had a part in the wrong box once and they took care of it ASAP.

If I need one part or two, Amazon is probably the better deal because even though the part may cost a little more, the free Prime shipping makes up for it. But, I've found when ordering a stack of parts for a project (say a front suspension rehab) that RA becomes the better deal because the combined shipping is better.

Ebay can have good deals but I recently had a seller pull a fast one with trying to pass off a cheapo aftermarket (that didn't work) as the real deal. Got my money back but it was quite the annoyance. Most other times it has been fine though.

Roughly the same here... short take - I use RA in specific situations, and will do so in the future...

AMZN for a 'known' part, and especially if I want it in a day or two (Prime). I don't purchase a lot of vehicle-specific parts from them. And sometimes... I actually buy *retail* :: gasp! :: Amazon isn't going to loan me tools, as an example, and sometimes I want the part *today*.

The Bay for odds / ends / accessories / anything 'used' (like the fuel filler door I just got for the Voy). You can often get some components here that you can't find in retail channels, due to the salvage yards having a big presence. Forget about 'bidding'...most of what I find is 'buy it now' for $X - and in a way, that's fine. When you come across a 'make offer'...buy a lottery ticket...LOL.

The one thing I take a hit on with eBay shippers is when they stick a prepaid postage label on something, creating a ton of postage due on my end - and the USPS carrier is a 'cash-only' entity. Then I have to take a photo of the package & chase the shipper / eBay down for the postage. Special note: watch for the shipping location - try and get things from US / Canada where possible. Many things ship from HK or China, and the term 'slow boat' conveys new meaning, here.

RA for big orders, or if I don't know the exact part name - as long as I know the subsystem, I can usually find it. Their parts lookup engine is very good (down to the RPO-specific options on many parts; e.g.; '9900lb brakes'), and it's easy for me to x-ref different years, etc. Like going to a parts store and finding an old-school counter rep who 'knows' many different vehicles. But from the comfort of my recliner, and no talkback... :thumbsup:

In fact, I just got a big order from RA for the Sierra yesterday - time to go make some room in the garage and start swapping parts.

The one thing I *hate* about RA is their shipping costs. Most sites that I frequent, you eventually get a break on shipping when you reach a certain amount. With RA, the costs just keep getting more obscene, the bigger the order gets - especially when it hits 3 or more warehouses. 5% codes lessen some of that pain, but don't eliminate it.
Gotta give them credit on getting the right parts to me.
Also, their clearance sale e-mails can come in handy - you can get some vehicle-specific parts for big discounts.
I understand they're low-margin, given their pricing on the parts.
Maybe I just hate outliers...lol.

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
I have had good luck with RA. I just purchased an ignition switch and key switch and RA price was cheaper than Amazon. Only a couple of bucks shipping, but no tax (yet that is :smile: Total "real" cost was less at RA. Three times this past year it has taken Amazon over one week just to get an item ordered onto the truck to start shipping. As for me I am not a fan of amazon. And all three items were in stock at amazon's warehouse! But I didn't purchase brake calipers from RA-shipping would have been both ways - one for the new calipers and return for the core. For that I shopped local.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
If you can get stuff shipped to your work - a commercial address - shipping can drop by a LOT. I get stuff shipped to work all the time and my one order the shipping cost dropped by near 1/3 from the original shipping estimate because it was shipping to a non-residential address.

Of course, not all places let employees get personal packages. Mine doesn't care.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
That's a good point - alternate receiving addresses.

I'd suggest a UPS Store - but since RA seems to default to FedEx / USPS - that probably wouldn't help.

And to the person who said "no tax - yet" - that will be changing, VERY soon (thanks, SCOTUS, champion of "states' rights" - and defender of none of ours). Perhaps, at least, I won't have to worry about figuring 'internet taxes' on my state tax returns (b/c they'll be paid, now).

Finally, re: Amazon - forgot to mention this in my earlier post - they're NOT 'always cheapest', as someone mentioned. Sometimes only a small difference - but sometimes a big one - and at a certain point, one says " I'm not paying x% / dollars more to have it faster."

From a long-view standpoint - every purchase made from them, at the expense of someone else, brings you one day closer to the point where you can't purchase from *anyone* else.
I say this, being a 'Prime' member - hypocritical of me, eh? It may be moot, at this point, anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redbeard

shovenose

Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
RockAuto is great to look up part numbers but oftentimes I then buy that part on Amazon - oftentimes it's a dollar or two more but the free two-day shipping means it works out cheaper.

I've generally had good experiences with RockAuto for the things I have purchased from them. I did have one negative experience with a steering gearbox, but everything else has been fine.

If you do buy from RockAuto be sure to look for a 5% coupon code, they are all over the internet. It's like free money!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
In some instances, RA to Canada comes out cheaper than local retail and even Amazon.ca, which is sometimes ludicrous. I haven't had any issues with RA at all. I once got some bad Raybestos hubs that I was able to return at their cost.

You do have to keep an eye on shipping locations when ordering multiple parts. You might have to order another brand just to get them from the same shipping location to lower costs. This can be a PITA if you are brand loyal or must use a particular brand like ACDelco.

One thing though that has changed since then is that there is no longer a phone number you can call to talk to a real person when stuff goes sideways.

Amazon can sometimes be cheaper, especially in the US but Amazon Canada is sometimes obscene.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
You do have to keep an eye on shipping locations when ordering multiple parts. You might have to order another brand just to get them from the same shipping location to lower costs. This can be a PITA if you are brand loyal or must use a particular brand like ACDelco.

This is good to know. Like you said, a PITA to change from your preferred brand (or, really, just to spend the time comparing the difference in 'total' price).

I was almost about to suggest RA (they do have a presence here) put in a routine to automagically figure this out and suggest alternative brand / location - but, thinking about it, they may have this already - I just need to try it out and see if it works / how easy it is (e.g.; can I compare 'both ways')

This has turned into quite the discussion on RA shipping policies / costs, eh? LOL

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Discussions are always good. Brings out the good, the bad, the ugly and tips. The shipping thing is my only irk with them.

Why doesn't RA come up with a "Prime" membership of their own? If Amazon can do it, why not RA? They'd probably have more sales just from those not jumping to Amazon because it's just a little cheaper with free shipping or faster with Prime.

C'mon @RockAuto , what say you?

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
RA has worked well for me because I have a few relics (plow, motorhome) and prices for that stuff are amazingly cheap.
I did have an issue with RA when they sent me a fuel pump module meant for a TB injection that was supposed to be correct for my SFI truck. Took a few emails/calls to get the right part .

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Plain and simple, if I am depending on the part for work, I'm going to do what I can within reason to get it back up asap. If advance doesn't have it and amazon does, chances are it's free same or next day because of my proximity to the warehouse.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And there lies the only problem with RA and Amazon when you need it now.

Drec

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
I always buy my parts from RA and have found them to be 40-50% less than my local parts stores. I've always tried to support local business, but living on a fixed income I have to stretch my dollars more. If I need some right now, I'll look at other options. I order all of my filters from RA, as they are a lot less as well.

Reactions: northcreek

Daniel644

Feb 27, 2015
RockAuto is usually the best price for parts from companies like MOOG, but you have to be VERY CAREFUL sometimes a part is listed as being boxed under like a store brand but still being Moog when it very clearly isn't, Moog ball joints for example use a brass colored metal on the section of the ball joint the grease fitting goes and I had one show up that was silver, I also got my replacement rear hatch lift struts from them and one was defective and they shipped out a replacement one right fast and I didn't even have to send the old one back (I suspect shipping costs to return it and process the return was high then the part value).

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
My front shocks that I received from RA the other day had a tiny issue... one was silver, the other black. Same type / length / model number -- I did check the stamping on the shock (the boxes they came in were two different sizes, which was the first clue that something might be 'off'). Both were brand-new and had the correct h/w kit (unopened). And when I preloaded them, they 'felt' the same, resistance-wise.

Since the Sierra isn't lifted, I'm not putting fancy / expensive ones in, etc. - I installed them without too much internal strife / conflict...lol.

Now that I've got the garage cleared out on the back wall and can fit the truck in & close the door normally, I'll do the rear shocks today. Turns out those boxes are two different sizes, too - so I'm guessing I'm going to have one silver & one black on the rear, as well. Maybe I'll match up sides, at least? :laugh: Or I'll get a can of black spray paint and 'fix the mistake' :dielaugh:

Last edited:

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
I've bought a lot of parts from rockauto and have zero complaints. I've returned parts under warranty, including a steering rack, and they always took everything back with no hassles. Usually I go to a gm site, make sure I have the right part number, and then back to rock auto. (the ext is a little funky with part numbers sometimes as you know). I have bought parts from amazon, prices tend to be similar or cheaper, but I've always worried about the warranty returns. (Haven't done that yet)
I have a local NAPA that I really prefer to buy stuff from, and even have an account there, but the prices there can be just ridiculous. For example, I stopped in to buy a new AC condenser, Napa price was $200. RockAuto was $60 with shipping. WTF!

The downside to rockauto, or any shippable part, is if you really want a part today, you are out of luck. The other problem is if a part breaks under warranty, you are looking at down time while you wait for the new part to arrive. But then again, often times NAPA you have to wait a day anyway these days.

Roadie taught me (and others here), to just stock up on parts that you know you are going to replace, like ball joints, tie rods, etc.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
The ONLY Beef I have EVER had with RockAuto... was their goofy, "Beevis and Butthead" style of Stick Figure TV Commercials. God knows, I've dropped my fair of "Benjamins" with them and will probably always do so because of Best Prices and Availability of GM OEM Parts, Gaskets, Hoses, etc.

I say was ...because at 01:00 AM EST on Saturday, August 29th, 2020, I watched their LATEST, MUCH IMPROVED COMMERCIAL ...and now that I've finally seen One Good One... I can Die a Happy Man...LOL.

pell

Jun 5, 2017
Pelham, NH
I find RA has good pricing and a lot of choices. I have found that major brands such as gates, prices are a few dollar less than the local parts guys that I use, but I go local because I get it right there. Shipping is expensive. Ordered a $37 dollar fender for a 95 corolla, $148 for the shipping. No thanks.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And if you're ordering multiple parts, you have to keep in mind if they are shipping from multiple warehouses which would cost more. Sometimes you'd have to change the brand to save on the shipping from the same warehouse. Sometimes a PITA especially if you want a particular brand.

I can say that it's sometimes cheaper to order from them in the US than buying local here. Pretty sad though. Probably taxes has something to do with it. Or when I was able to cross the border, if I could wait, I'd order a bunch of parts and other stuff in the US and have it delivered to my PO Box just across the bridge.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online