ROCKAUTO, wtf!

stickypoop

Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
Ordered a wheel hub for my other vehicle... paid a premium for expedited shipping... and THIS is what comes in the box. Others beware.

20170811_173108_HDR.jpg

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Poor QC, someone returned it and got their money back and RA didn't even verify that the right part was in the box before sitting it back on the shelf, coulda been a rock for all it matters. Happens time to time even at local parts stores.

Reactions: Tiggerr and Capote

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
Well I was about to order a pair of hubs from them, but I think I will wait until your order is corrected. Somebody messed up big time on your order. Keep us updated on how this problem is handled.

Reactions: stickypoop

stickypoop

Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
Well I was about to order a pair of hubs from them, but I think I will wait until your order is corrected. Somebody messed up big time on your order. Keep us updated on how this problem is handled.

I will for sure. They have responded to ask for photos, so that's a good thing. Unfortunately, I may have to find a local replacement as I can't really wait much longer to replace my current one. I was all ready pushing it by driving all week. The major downside is that locally, whitebox brands are 100 dollars more than I paid for the cross-border expedited Timken.

It's unfortunate that I was shipped a junkyard part... also unfortunate this isn't the first time I've received an obviously defective part.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
also unfortunate this isn't the first time I've received an obviously defective part.

An obviously defective part? I kinda woulda understood if the Timken was replaced by some new CCC part on a return, but this?

It could have been a warranty return. Next time, people should write all over the box that it's a defective return. But still, somebody didn't do their job.

stickypoop

Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
An obviously defective part? I kinda woulda understood if the Timken was replaced by some new CCC part on a return, but this?

It could have been a warranty return. Next time, people should write all over the box that it's a defective return. But still, somebody didn't do their job.

Even the shops here open the boxes before they hand them over to a customer. They know sometimes things get swapped or boxes get robbed (brake hardware, for example). It is very odd to ship a box without looking inside. RA seems to use other part stores as "Warehouses". Checking the address on this one, that was indeed the case.

They're returning my money after seeing photos (and of course I need to pack the crap one back to them). Confirmation for that came in at a 11pm AST on a Friday night, only hours after the original complaint. It seems a third party messed up while working under their name. No question a mistake was made... however given my personal time constraints, I don't think there's much else I could ask for so I'll give credit to their response.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I just get them from Detroit Axle. I'm changing them next weekend for $80 a pair.

I got 3 years out of the last set, so I'm not complaining.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
The one thing I don't like about the Detroit Axle bearing assemblies: The lugs are about a 1/4" too short. I believe they are safe, but, they look wrong. :twocents:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I never noticed. Torqued to spec and never had an issue with it.

Reactions: coolasice

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And don't they say that they can't be used in 2wd vehicles? Probably something to do with needing the axle to keep it together.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I never noticed. Torqued to spec and never had an issue with it.
I believe they're safe, but, to me they just look wrong. IIRC, way back when I was into drag racing, the threads of the stud had to extend out past the lug nuts. These miss by at least 3 threads.

And don't they say that they can't be used in 2wd vehicles? Probably something to do with needing the axle to keep it together.
That could be true. I emailed them, but never received a reply.

Reactions: Matt

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Never heard anything about the no 2wd thing

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
On the full size trucks the hubs are different 2WD to 4WD. The 2WD ones don't have a splined center. Not sure the deal, but W/E

FWIW I only once had a wrong part in the box with Rock Auto, but it wasn't their fault. The factory had mispackaged a part. It was another brand new AC Delco part in the box. RA took care of it quickly. That does suck when it happens though!

Daniel644

Feb 27, 2015
heck I've had parts ship to me that clearly where wrong, like the time I ordered some Moog Ball Joints and instead of having Moog parts it was some off brand box with an inferior part clearly identifiable due to the lack of the Moog stamping and brass color on the metal area with the grease fitting. they swapped it out because they knew damn well it wasn't a Moog part

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online