RockAuto Drama

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
I bought Anchor motor mounts from RockAuto before I found out they were junk.. they were nice and smooth for the first day, then after that it feels like Im driving an old Diesel powered dump truck!!! :mad:

I bought the mounts 1.5 weeks ago, in RockAuto's return period of 30 days. When I called today, the guy on the other end told me no returns/refunds because Ive installed them. My response was "how would I know they were defective until I try it?!" You cannot look at an engine mount and tell that after 1 day of use, it was going to vibrate like heck. He said he understands but then jumped around that I should've known before I ordered that the Anchors were non-hydraulic mounts and that certain Envoys didnt come with hydraulic mounts from the factory but they have the DEA brand mounts and its my fault- I shouldve ordered them!! I told him BS, to google the issue, and I called my local GM dealership parts department who confirmed they are all hydraulic.

The rep from RockAuto said he was going to check with Anchor (Why?) and get back to me. I can already smell that Ill be contacting my credit card company on this one. I hate to do that, but this guy on the phone that I was dealing with I suspect is a few mcnuggets short of a happy meal...

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Sorry you didn't get the word soon enough to use only OEM mounts. Can you think of any way we can get the message to everybody? Good luck with Rockauto.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Not to defend RA, it is stipulated in their policies:
We cannot issue return credit for parts which have been installed, painted, modified or returned without their original packaging.

I guess the only exception to that would be for defective parts.

If the part has been misrepresented, then you might have a shot but from what I can tell, it's not. Are you sure that the Anchor is not hydraulic? In the description, it says:
Anchor Mount Features & Benefits

1. Both natural & SBR (Styrene Butadiene) rubber provide good abrasion resistance and aging stability to ensure maximum life & performance
2. All Rubber material is manufactured to specific Durometer (hardness) measurements based on the vehicle's application requirements
3. All fasteners are made of hardened steel with heat treated Grade #5 bolts
4. A special Chemlock® bonding agent is used to ensure a superior rubber-to-metal bond
5. Hydraulic Mounts (applicable where OE) are designed for most front wheel drive vehicles, because of the transverse drive train mounting
And the picture even shows the exact same mount with a cross section showing the hydraulic part.

Other than that, if they are defective, they would just replace them with the same ones. If you can, maybe you could get the DEA hydraulic ones instead but would these be any better? :undecided: I know it's a PITA to have to ship them back but that's the nature and risk of ordering online.

And I thought they were just a solid piece of rubber.

Good luck.

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Mooseman said:
Not to defend RA, it is stipulated in their policies:

I guess the only exception to that would be for defective parts.

If the part has been misrepresented, then you might have a shot but from what I can tell, it's not. Are you sure that the Anchor is not hydraulic? In the description, it says:

And the picture even shows the exact same mount with a cross section showing the hydraulic part.

Other than that, if they are defective, they would just replace them with the same ones. If you can, maybe you could get the DEA hydraulic ones instead but would these be any better? :undecided: I know it's a PITA to have to ship them back but that's the nature and risk of ordering online.

And I thought they were just a solid piece of rubber.

Good luck.

Thanks for posting that blurb on the return policy... makes me never want to order from them again!! And the scary part is Ive been ordering from them for years, never had a problem. Ive been lucky I suppose, especially after reading the reviews on the web about other customers having issues with their return policy :frown:

Question: Why would any part have a warranty with Rock if you cannot return it?! Lets say you buy a wiper motor from Rock. You look at it, and it looks great. Install it, it doesnt work. Go to return it and Rock says to pound sand. What kind of customer service is that?! Any other parts house (O'Reillys, NAPA, Autozone, Advance Auto) stands by their warranty. Heck, you dont even need a receipt with some of those places, they keep you in their computer.

Anyways I digress... The mount was misrepresented and thats what I explained to the Rep yesterday and they agreed. The Rep was calling Anchor to see if they were in fact hydraulic or not (of course, for those of us on here who have actually tried the Anchors, know they are solid rubber). Had I known they werent the OEM design, like it said, I would NOT have bought them. I really hope we can come to an amicable resolve on this issue...will keep everybody posted.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I agree that many parts can not be known to be bad until installed. Sounds like you are getting screwed.

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
I agree that many parts can not be known to be bad until installed. Sounds like you are getting screwed.

I work very hard for my money and Im sure everybody here does too. If Rock wont do the right thing and stand behind the product they misrepresented and sold to me, then I wont spend another red cent there and I order from them frequently, not to mention all of the recommendations to them Ive made!

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
I did find this here regarding their return policy.

Returns
Everything we sell is returnable for full part cost credit within 30 days (except certain special order and discontinued items identified in our catalog as "No Return"). If you're not satisfied with something or you just decide you don't need it, you can obtain return instructions using our Order Status page or by sending e-mail to service@rockauto.com (in your email, please tell us your order number, the part number and the reason for the return). If a part doesn't fit, don't try to "make it fit" and risk damaging the part or your car (or yourself). We won't accept responsibility for any costs exceeding the cost of the part (and you don't need the aggravation of doing a job twice!) so please inspect the part before you start the repair.

This paragraph would seem to me that returns wouldnt be such a hassle. :confused: It even says if you arent satisfied with something, you can obtain return instructions! Like its so easy...

'03EXT

Dec 4, 2011
a couple years back I ordered and installed a dorman window regulator from rockauto, it failed after about a month, they sent me a new one and credited me when they got the defective(installed) one back, so I was just out the return shipping ........so I guess they dont treat us all the same

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
[QUOTE='03EXT;5910]a couple years back I ordered and installed a dorman window regulator from rockauto, it failed after about a month, they sent me a new one and credited me when they got the defective(installed) one back, so I was just out the return shipping ........so I guess they dont treat us all the same[/QUOTE]

Glad it worked out for you!

They were supposed to call me back and I havent heard from them. Im almost afraid to call them b/c Im going to get frustrated all over again. Oh well you know what they say...squeaky wheel gets the grease!!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
When you're on the phone with them and still not satisfied, there's got to be a way to elevate it to a manager or something. You're not satisfied and they should honour their policy statement above.

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Well to my satisfaction, Rock called me tonight and also emailed me a postage-paid return label! I missed their call, but he left me a detailed message.

Heres the catch: I cannot return the mounts until the new ones come, from GM Parts Direct, next week :mad: (I hope this wont be a problem with Rock)

The Rep acknowledged (this time, but the 1st time I talked to him he adamantly denied this) that there were problems with the Anchor mounts and that they are defective, no questions asked. He offered me the DEA ones - Im not falling for this again....LOL... Im taking the full refund and sticking with the AC Delcos!!!

I will keep you posted. But so far this is looking good :smile:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Wow, and they even paid for the return shipping! So I guess they're not that bad after all.:wootwoot:

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Mooseman said:
Wow, and they even paid for the return shipping! So I guess they're not that bad after all.:wootwoot:

:nono:

Lets not just start stroking each other yet.... :biggrin:

I still have to wait at least a week to get the NEW delco mounts from GM Parts Direct and mail the Anchors back. Plus we dont know if they are going to look at the mounts and say "you've altered this" or some crap.

I will be fully satisfied when I get my money back from RA and my Envoy stops vibrating! :yes:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I had RockAuto ship me a wrong part on one order, it was a hassle free swap however. I emailed them and told them the part I ordered and what I had received. They sent me a return shipping label AND shipped the correct part 2nd day at the same time without waiting for the incorrect part to get back to them first. Now that I think about it, I think the incorrect part was even a more expensive part than what I actually needed.

That was only 1 wrong part out of many parts I have ordered from them, mistakes happen, so I'm not holding it against them since they immediately made it right.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Sadly, with customer service reps you are at the mercy of how their day has gone. Your much more likely to get good service if they got laid that morning rather then waking up to seeing their dog dead in the road. That is why it is always a good idea to call back if your not happy with the results the first time. Talk to another CSR and see if you can get a better outcome. I am glad it is working out in the end.

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
I'll get to test their return policy tomorrow. I got some ACDelco poly bushings for the front sway bar from them and one has a blister about the size of a nickel on the inner bore. Not their fault. Parts were in a sealed bag and a factory box. Don't want the same experience of thinking they'll be OK and finding out a week later I have to replace them right away. Almost as bad as getting a slightly dented shock in a BDS lift kit (the day before). Still gets full travel compared to the other one, so I'll be putting it on.

2x1968muscle

Dec 4, 2011
Please look at the pre-paid return label. I believe that it expires after a reasonable amount of time. Make sure you ship back the bad parts BEFORE the label expires !!!!

I ordered sway bar end links from Rockauto and one of the parts was in a wrong box. I called customer service and they shipped out a new one overnight rush at their cost. I was very impressed until I opened the second box to find the same problem. I called again and -yes- they sent me a pre-paid label to return both bad parts and then shipped out another one. This time all was well. I was 100% satisfied with Rockauto and their customer service.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Too many companies are forgetting about customer service. Those that try to do the best only end up GROWING their business.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk.

IslandRunner

Dec 4, 2011
Glad they are working with you.

Mooseman your didn't highlight the more important part of that line
Anchor Mount Features & Benefits

1. Both natural & SBR (Styrene Butadiene) rubber provide good abrasion resistance and aging stability to ensure maximum life & performance
2. All Rubber material is manufactured to specific Durometer (hardness) measurements based on the vehicle's application requirements
3. All fasteners are made of hardened steel with heat treated Grade #5 bolts
4. A special Chemlock® bonding agent is used to ensure a superior rubber-to-metal bond
5. Hydraulic Mounts (applicable where OE) are designed for most front wheel drive vehicles, because of the transverse drive train mounting

RWD,4X4 AND AWD but never made a FWD SUV.:poke:

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
2x1968muscle said:
Please look at the pre-paid return label. I believe that it expires after a reasonable amount of time. Make sure you ship back the bad parts BEFORE the label expires !!!!

Thanks for the tip!! I called RA just now and they said the link expires in a few days so you have to print the return label "right away", however its ok for me to drop off the parts at FedEx next Tuesday, the label itself doesnt expire that fast.

Im glad you mentioned that b/c I would've tried printing it next week and would've been on here bitching again! :tongue:

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
FWIW, Ive always said this "It pays to know somebody in the parts department and/or a tech that works at a local GM dealership".

My friend Dave I went to HS with, we are friends on facebook although we werent friends in HS just acquaintances. He works Parts at a local Chevy Dealership. A quick call and he has 1 mount in stock, ordered me the other for tomorrow! $64/ea, his cost. :wootwoot:

Thats cheaper than GMPartsDirect considering the shipping costs, which would bring the GMPartsDirect mounts to about $75/ea or so.

So yeah, I told my friend that hes a rockstar and I will see him tomorrow at lunch! :biggrin: I think for his help, I might BUY his lunch...lol

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Well, got the new OEM Delco mounts in.... WOW OMG WTF what a difference!! Smooth as mutha funkin silk... of course, as confirmed by many other Trailvoy'ers (and now ME!), if you ever come across this thread or any others TRUST what you hear and do NOT go with the anchor motor mounts!!! :mad: :mad: My truck vibrated so bad with the anchors it chipped the paint off the corners of my hood!! :frown:

Got the Delcos on -only took me an hour this time because I knew what I was doing - started it up and holy crapoly...you cannot even feel it start!! Its smoother than it was when I bought it back in 2004 :thumbsup:

Back to the issue at hand; Im mailing back the Anchor mounts to RockAuto tomorrow for a full refund... stay posted!

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
UPDATE:

Received two emails today stating I received my refund(s) for the Anchor mounts from RockAuto!! :thumbsup:

So a big round of applause to Rock for coming through on customer service. I walk away from the situation financially unscathed, although the scrapes on my hands are still healing from having to do the mounts a SECOND time...lol. All worth it, IMO. Truck is very very quiet and smooth now. Like new again :celebrate:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Good deal. Glad it worked out for you.

steveO

Apr 6, 2012
MichEnvoyGuy said:
Anyways I digress... The mount was misrepresented and thats what I explained to the Rep yesterday and they agreed. The Rep was calling Anchor to see if they were in fact hydraulic or not (of course, for those of us on here who have actually tried the Anchors, know they are solid rubber). Had I known they werent the OEM design, like it said, I would NOT have bought them. I really hope we can come to an amicable resolve on this issue...will keep everybody posted.

Maybe they changed something but I confirmed with the technical rep at Anchor that these mounts are indeed hydraulic.
This is the only mount they have, they don't sell a rubber only mount for the Envoy so I'm confused about the claims that they are all rubber not hydraulic.

ANCHOR 3021 engine mount for 2002 GMC Envoy

I ordered them from Rock Auto and after reading these posts got concerned! Rock Auto and Anchor were both quick to respond to the question.
I haven't received them yet and sent an email to Rock Auto stating my concern.

It is hard to believe that a company that has been in the motor mount manufacturing business for 70 plus years can't make a proper mount to the GMC Envoy? Its not the space shuttle.
Anyway, I now have to decide if I should send them back or get the OEM. Nothing is simple anymore. You would think that if they were an issue that RA would not sell them, a lot of people buy parts from them!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I would return them and get OEM mounts. They may be hydraulic but sometimes, only OEM will work right. Could be the rubber they use or how it's put together. Sometimes they just can't get it exactly right. Same as spark plugs, only AC Delco will work.

steveO

Apr 6, 2012
Mooseman said:
I would return them and get OEM mounts. They may be hydraulic but sometimes, only OEM will work right. Could be the rubber they use or how it's put together. Sometimes they just can't get it exactly right. Same as spark plugs, only AC Delco will work.

I may use them... The Anchor tech rep has me convinced they will work.
He mentioned that they were aware of the vibration issues and made changes the viscus fluid inside the mount. The latest version is manufactured in china which is what I have. (big surprise there!)
He stated that they sell a lot of these mounts with very few issues.

If they don't work your entitled to the first "I told you so"

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Latest version made in China? Doesn't reassure me too much :no: Where was the first version made?

It would be nice if the aftermarket did finally figure out the mounts so we had other options.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It is possible that they were revised if they had a lot of returns. Just keep your old ones just in case :biggrin:

steveO

Apr 6, 2012
Sparky said:
Latest version made in China? Doesn't reassure me too much :no: Where was the first version made?

It would be nice if the aftermarket did finally figure out the mounts so we had other options.

Not sure what version they are but the one's to watch out for were made in Thailand.

I agree, a high quality aftermarket supplier of any part is hard to come by and good info to have!

steveO

Apr 6, 2012
steveO said:
I may use them... The Anchor tech rep has me convinced they will work.
He mentioned that they were aware of the vibration issues and made changes the viscus fluid inside the mount. The latest version is manufactured in china which is what I have. (big surprise there!)
He stated that they sell a lot of these mounts with very few issues.

If they don't work your entitled to the first "I told you so"

Success!

The anchor mounts are in and they work as they should.
The vibration while in drive stopped is now gone!
No longer have the rough torque feeling when starting the engine.

If something changes I will update this thread.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Good to know. Looks like we have another option now.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online