RockAuto.com Discount Code for Parts & More - Expires April 17, 2020

RockAuto

Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
5% Discount Code: 4C81DF23BE0B2A
Expires: April 17, 2020

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear About Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

RockAuto.com is an online auto parts store founded in Madison, Wisconsin in 1999 by the Taylor family. RockAuto.com ships thousands of auto parts from over 300 manufacturers to customers worldwide.

The RockAuto.com Catalog includes vehicles from the early 1900s to today, making it easy to find parts no matter what you drive.

Prices on RockAuto.com are reliably low every day! Order online at www.RockAuto.com 24 hours a day. Parts are conveniently delivered to your door. Need help finding parts or placing an order? Visit our Help pages for further assistance!

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I know they don't reply to posts, once they put them up, but maybe they read them... and if they do, I have a suggestion...

Instead of always handing out 'new codes' every couple of months, why don't they issue a permanent code on a per-customer basis? They could even tie it in with a 'variable' discount... maybe on a per order $ amount, or an aggregate (multi-order) total.

I'd rather have a code that was 'mine', and didn't change, rather than wondering if the one I was going to use was still good.

That being said... when I'm on their site (was just there today), and on the 'cart' page, I can click on the 'My Account' link in the top RH corner and a code will be displayed there. Click on it, and it's applied to your cart (same 5%).

That's how I activate mine - I don't run around trying to find out what the latest code they gave out via e-mail is, etc. Incidentally, the code I clicked on today is *not* the same one they posted above, FWIW.

And as I look at their code above, I just figured out why there are different / multiple codes. They're using different codes to track where their customers are coming from.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Actually they do give you your own code after ordering something whether you used a code from here or not. And guess what, it's also for 5%. And it usually expires before I can use my code but there is always a valid one here. I always use the code from here regardless just in case there is some sort of small hidden benefit to the site. If they see a lot of people use the same code from here, maybe it may give some sort of referral back or a possible ad revenue of some kind.

What I would like to see would be a "prime" type of subscription for the shipping, which is sometimes a killer.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And I have seen them respond once or twice before so they do read responses.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
What I would like to see would be a "prime" type of subscription for the shipping, which is sometimes a killer.

For 'shadetrees' like us, working on our own vehicles, that could be viable.

They'd lose a fortune to the jobbers / pro shops who use them, though. Those folks order every day / week. Or Rock would have to price the sub accordingly, for them. I wonder if they get preferential pricing, given their volume? If so, then 'prime shipping' wouldn't be in the cards for them, I don't think.

A lot of the time, Rock isn't shipping from their own whse. Rather, they're having the parts drop-shipped directly from the supplier (and Rock is likely reimbursing them for the shipping -- they charge us enough so that they won't lose $ on the deal.) Which I don't have an issue with, TBH -- at least that part of it, as it allows them to keep pricing low on parts, vs. warehousing them directly. But, yeah -- shipping kills, and I can imagine what it's like for you guys in Canada. Thankfully, their base pricing is very attractive.

The only thing they have to worry about where AMZN is concerned, is speed of delivery. No one can beat Amazon's logistics (which are getting ever faster.) When that matters, Amazon usually wins, unless I want 'same day' and willing to pay retail for it (which usually runs a minimum of double the cost, vs. the next cheapest source, even with online discount & 'rewards' codes). And we all know about the quality of the retail stores' in-house "lifetime warranty" brands. :hissyfit: Doing a repair twice (or more!) is no bargain, no matter how much less expensive the parts were.

On a related note, that's something Rock gets credit for, in my book - they keep great records on warranty items I purchased (lifetime or otherwise). If I can remember that I bought it from them, they'll make the exchange process relatively painless. Thankfully, that doesn't have to happen very often with them, in my experience, at least.

The only bad thing is if you want to return an unused / unneeded item. Since you get charged return shipping, half the time you wind up keeping the part because the shipping costs eat up so much of the refund. I get it, though - (mechanical) parts are heavy, and logistics costs money.

Reactions: Mooseman

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
I have only been buying from them regularly for the last couple of years. It used to be that the shipping structure they have would price them out most of the time but their prices on many of the parts I've needed recently have been so low that even with the shipping I couldn't beat them. The 5% works for me in that it almost negates our 6% sales tax.

Reactions: Beacon and Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
They'd lose a fortune to the jobbers / pro shops who use them, though. Those folks order every day / week. Or Rock would have to price the sub accordingly, for them. I wonder if they get preferential pricing, given their volume? If so, then 'prime shipping' wouldn't be in the cards for them, I don't think.

I doubt shops would use them because of the time constraints as they need the parts NOW unless it's a specialty part that nobody stocks. And shops just charge the part to the customer so they don't really care how much it costs. What they care more about is getting it out and not having comebacks.

I sometimes buy from RA when I don't need it right away. The price of parts here can sometimes be double what they are at RA. If I can wait, I can have it shipped to a PO Box near the border and pick it up when it arrives. Smaller parts are sometimes worth it to have shipped directly. I have noticed that they sometimes ship from the Canadian side (Mississauga IIRC) so either they have a warehouse here or they bring it over the border and then ship it.

Reactions: Hidyn and Eric04

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
I doubt shops would use them because of the time constraints as they need the parts NOW unless it's a specialty part that nobody stocks. And shops just charge the part to the customer so they don't really care how much it costs. What they care more about is getting it out and not having comebacks.

I sometimes buy from RA when I don't need it right away. The price of parts here can sometimes be double what they are at RA. If I can wait, I can have it shipped to a PO Box near the border and pick it up when it arrives. Smaller parts are sometimes worth it to have shipped directly. I have noticed that they sometimes ship from the Canadian side (Mississauga IIRC) so either they have a warehouse here or they bring it over the border and then ship it.
Local prices here are at that level too. There are no more independents, which if there were I'd be fine with paying extra to "keep it local." Add to that how one counter guy told me with a big smile about how they jack up the A mover parts prices because they can... loyalty isn't being earned so they're cutting their own throats. I mean, chevy parts used to be cheap due to commonality, now they put the meat to you like you're driving a Euro.

I know I drifted into rant. Sorry. I was vaguely on topic though. 😂

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
This is only my second time in 8 years or so ordering from RA. I use the RA website as a parts catalogue to get part numbers. From there I use Google to find the part with Amazon.ca or locally. This order was for a new flex joint assembly to replace my cracked unit. The rest of the system looks amazing and is worth saving.

LINK to the part.

y4mfzk3miTssGeOU-4Q0FijoK1Gg5CY7RY7I_thl_PPhFTeMvXpIHfwbJVEzTvFjHLk2KZJFFUrLo-MZVvaYnQIhI2bKGpfM4DKTwKfQ423M5mMoPPLbcypYjn7txCjCV0kd6aA7MW8bKGF1DNVIr_PqVcNIciu_e6p8n0mqbb4IRPeXhvwhi-wbbZrvSRCJ5reMhrjYCVRgmsI7WDL3i86ww

Last edited:
Reactions: Eric04 and Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I use the RA website as a parts catalogue to get part numbers. From there I use Google to find the part with Amazon.ca or locally.

I do exactly the same thing. But Amazon.ca sometimes has ludicrous prices. Could be because they're shipping from the US. That's when I usually go with RA.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015

You're right, of course. I thought about this about 5min after I made that post. Usually, I'd go back and edit. But it was late, I was tired, and here we are... :biggrin:

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online