Ring and pinion pattern

Natedupr1

Original poster
Nov 18, 2018
Bailey nc
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum so thanks for having me and hopefully helping me figure this thing out. Long story short my carrier bearing took a dump on me and tore up my ring and pinion gears. Bought a new set and can't seem to get the coast pattern right using the factory shim set up. I've changed pinion depth and set backlash probably 6 times and it's always the coast side that gives me issues. If anyone can advise me on what I'm doing wrong I'd appreciate it.20181117_143601.jpg20181117_143608.jpg20181117_143621.jpg20181117_143629.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This is a pretty comprehensive "Step By Step" Instructional Document that will augment whatever install data you already have... with a very good graphic of how to compare your present Ring to Pinion Gear Contact Pattern with what you can see listed at the link below. Look both Documents over and compare the information between the two for anything new that might clue you in about making some additional adjustments to the Shim Thickness settings you are using:

https://itstillruns.com/set-up-differential-2159877.html

RINGANDPIONONADJUSTCHART.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Redbeard

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
I've never set R&P's up FYI...but have two diff to do over winter on a Jeep. What make's you think your having issues with your coast side? Is your backlash within spec? I'd say it look's damn close. Is this a factory set?

Natedupr1

Original poster
Nov 18, 2018
Bailey nc
The guy who works at the place I bought the gears from says it needs to change... he's the only other person I have who has any idea what they're looking at

Natedupr1

Original poster
Nov 18, 2018
Bailey nc
Everything is in tolerance. Preload at 19inlb. Backlash at 7-8 depending on the tooth. In spec according to gear mfg...

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Are you using only a GM or an OEM Ring Gear Set or is this New Hardware an After-market Rig? Is "The Guy" who sold you the New Gear(s) a Hands-On Mechanic...or just a Sales Person?. Did you determine that the Lash/Shim Spacing and Gear interfaces you show in your photos strictly from having Bench Set Up this arrangement...or did you come to this conclusion after installing the New Set and after bolting everything together...Test Driving and listening/feeling for these alignment problems and finding out these were at issue..dynamically?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online