Right front brake locking up, or dragging??

deerslayer1985

Original poster
Feb 26, 2015
My 2002 trailblazer started making a weird noise every once in awhile my wife says. So I drove with her to investigate it. We had to drive for about 30 minutes to get it to do it. It was like a grinding sound from the right front brake. It was when she was slowing down to turn to the right. It did it again about 10 minutes later also turning to the right. It acts and sounds like the brake is locking up..... like you slammed on them, and then it would hold for a second or 2. I got out and looked at the brakes and they all seem to be wearing evenly. It doesn't look to me like they are wore out yet. I don't know what to look for, or check. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Probably will have to take the wheel off, the caliper, and look at the pins and caliper itself. It could be the inboard pad, not the outboard, that is getting stuck, and those aren't very visible without taking it apart.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Check for heat around the wheel with you hand, just hold your hand near the wheel.

When you hit the brakes, does the steering wheel jerk to the left momentarily? That would indicate a collapsed brake hose on the right side.

Does it have 4WD? I wonder if this would be the front disconnect.

How many miles? Could be a worn hub and bearing but that would generally point to the other side when turning right.

I agree, you will find out more with the wheel removed.

deerslayer1985

Original poster
Feb 26, 2015
It is 4wd, it has right around 130,000 miles. My wife said when it does this the wheel does jerk to the left. Not much, but it usually only does it for a second or 2. I need to clarify a little more its only when you apply the brake and turn right that it makes this noise. Its not every time either. Just every now and then. It hasn't made this noise when braking straight, or left. Only when turning right and braking. It just sounds like a grinding noise for a second or 2 when braking, and turning right every so often.

Ziggy

Feb 8, 2015
Sounds like you've got a wear issue. I would second @gmcman that the hub assembly may be suspect. When turning right under braking, you're unloading the right front corner. It could be just enough to allow whatever is worn out to shift just enough to make noise. put it up on a jack, and before you pull the wheel and tire off, try moving the wheel in and out with your hands first on the top and bottom then right and left, like you're trying to wiggle the wheel. A loose feeling top and bottom would indicate worn out hub assembly. Loose feeling right and left could be hub assembly as well, but could also be outer tie rod end. If nothing feels loose when you do that, check your upper and lower ball joints. I've seen lowers that only make noise under very certain, specific circumstances, and braking while turning could be one of them.

Jul 24, 2012
Sounds like you've got a wear issue. I would second @gmcman that the hub assembly may be suspect. When turning right under braking, you're unloading the right front corner. It could be just enough to allow whatever is worn out to shift just enough to make noise. put it up on a jack, and before you pull the wheel and tire off, try moving the wheel in and out with your hands first on the top and bottom then right and left, like you're trying to wiggle the wheel. A loose feeling top and bottom would indicate worn out hub assembly. Loose feeling right and left could be hub assembly as well, but could also be outer tie rod end. If nothing feels loose when you do that, check your upper and lower ball joints. I've seen lowers that only make noise under very certain, specific circumstances, and braking while turning could be one of them.

When I had a hub going bad, I had some noise, but I was never able to tell anything from pushing on / wiggling the wheel.

Probably will have to take the wheel off, the caliper, and look at the pins and caliper itself. It could be the inboard pad, not the outboard, that is getting stuck, and those aren't very visible without taking it apart.

I just did front brakes and had a stuck pin. The outboard pad looked had tons of wear left to go and the inboard was down to metal.

Ziggy

Feb 8, 2015
When I had a hub going bad, I had some noise, but I was never able to tell anything from pushing on / wiggling the wheel.

I just did front brakes and had a stuck pin. The outboard pad looked had tons of wear left to go and the inboard was down to metal.
Yeah, that'd do it too. Either way, thorough inspection is warranted.

deerslayer1985

Original poster
Feb 26, 2015
I finally got some time to check everything out on it. I took the wheels off, and checked everything. The brakes were wore down pretty good. They had a little life left in them, but I decided to go ahead and put new pads on. In the process I found one of the brake slides was froze up on the right front. I got a slide, and got that all working. I checked the wheel bearing for wobble, and noise. Everything seemed good. The ball joints and everything were also good. I was hoping new pads, and the replacement of the stuck slide would fix it. It didn't......Its actually getting more frequent. Its not only doing it when turning right anymore....I guess that could have been a coincidence. It does it sometimes when your not even braking now. I'm wondering if a bad brake hose could cause this? Thats about the last thing I can think of.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Bad hose, or a sticky caliper. Was the caliper piston relatively easy to push back with the bleeder open?

deerslayer1985

Original poster
Feb 26, 2015
None of the pistons seemed different than any of the others when pushing in. I guess I'll try a brake hose now. Thanks for the help guys.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online