Ride Height

{tpc}

Original poster
Jan 22, 2014
Is there any way to find out what the factory ride height would be on a 2007 tahoe ltz?

I want to make sure the autoride is functioning properly, dealer is being stubborn about assisting with this.

I also have an issue where the drivers side is approximately 1/4 - 1/2 inch lower than the passenger side. I give a range because I think it varies with where I park...hard to find a perfectly level spot in michigan lol. There must be some sort of specification on this...measure from point a to point b and it should be between xxx to xxx +/- something. But I've spent the better part of 2 days to no avail searching.

Seems most people with tahoe ltz's are obsessed with the looks and lowering the trucks, putting on 24 inch wheels etc. I just want the damn thing to work right and be functionally correct! lol

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
If it's like the GMT360, those specs are in the factory (Helm) shop manual.

In your other thread, you show coil springs. If you had autoride, those would be air bags if the system was anything like the GMT360. And our autoride system has adjustable sensors in the wheel wells to do exactly the adjustment you want.

What evidence do you have you have autoride?

And yes, springs can sag over time. The dealer isn't going to replace springs on a 2007 for such a difference in height. Do you have a warranty involved?

{tpc}

Original poster
Jan 22, 2014
The_Roadie said:
If it's like the GMT360, those specs are in the factory (Helm) shop manual.

In your other thread, you show coil springs. If you had autoride, those would be air bags if the system was anything like the GMT360. And our autoride system has adjustable sensors in the wheel wells to do exactly the adjustment you want.

What evidence do you have you have autoride?

And yes, springs can sag over time. The dealer isn't going to replace springs on a 2007 for such a difference in height. Do you have a warranty involved?
No warranty involved. I know it has autoride because I replaced the shocks myself. In this vehicle, the autoride shocks have the bags on them, not in the coil springs. They also have the magnetic (i think its what its called) dampening fluid in them. So there is an electrical connector at the top of the shock for that, an airline fitting the bags on the shock itself, and a level sensor (potentiometer essentially) on each side of the body. There is an arm that connects the sensor to a trailing arm or control arm or whatever that when it senses a load in the back, it commands air into the bags (via compressor)pumping them up. When it goes back down, it is supposed to open an exhaust valve letting air out.

I just want to make sure everything is correct. Unfortunately I don't have access to a helm manual for this platform.

Edit: My fear is that the exhaust isn't happening correctly and the bags are pumping up to much, or that the previous owner (or the dealer I got it from) adjusted the level sensors to compensate for the blown air bag shocks that were on it when I got it, so the compressor wouldn't run and burn out.

It is a brand new compressor installed by the dealer in may.

{tpc}

Original poster
Jan 22, 2014
I did find what claimed to be a pdf of the service manual on a site called tradebit? I supposed I could download it, its pretty cheap. Just never used that site for anything before.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
All service manuals are available to download here somewhere.

Adjusting the ride height a bit with the air suspension is pretty simple by adjusting the sensors I believe.

{tpc}

Original poster
Jan 22, 2014
Well as luck would have it, I found a service manual at work. Well 2 of the 3 books. But it refers to z-height measurement (front?) and d-height (rear?)

Of course the one that deals with the body, which I think is volume 1, is missing. Ugg.

neohio

Nov 11, 2013

{tpc}

Original poster
Jan 22, 2014
Thank you very much! I do appreciate it. :smile: I haven't made the necessary measurements yet, as it decided to rain on me.

But I was able to do some more testing. Basically what I did was measure height before, during and after loading. All the measurements were within a half inch of each other. So the system must be working right. I also found a site online where they did a measurement of a LT before they lowered it and its pretty close to what I am unloaded.

I still have a bit of the "chevy lean" but I think its do to the springs being old. Also at one point I think I heard the vent solenoid open because I heard a sound and was worried that one of the bags popped. This was during loading. A short time later the system came on and pumped up while I was adding a bit more weight.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online