Ride height differences between Moog 81110 vs 81112 springs?

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Hey everyone!

Trying to go over a few things regarding my front struts. I know I'm going to need an alignment due to the UCA/UBJ replacement last year, which is showing itself on my front tires with the very minor cupping happening to the outer most tread.

I bought a set of Moog 81110's at the beginning of August, to go with the new mounting hardware I bought with the Bilstein 4600s that have been sitting in the garage since the start of the pandemic. I'm having second thoughts about going with the springs. mostly due to extended reading and searching through the FAQ, including finding the Factory RPO Spring Rate sheet Reprise posted a few years ago, and combing through various threads on the Moog springs from OffroadTB. The springs (81110-81116) appear to be near identical spec wise, with the only varying difference being the design load and free height.

Is there going to be much of a ride height difference in the front going from the 81112's to the 81110's? I know the springs affect the ride height/rake, while the ride quality is dependent on the strut used. My reading showed the 81110 is closer to the factory 84-86 spring, while the 81112 is about an 87/88. My RPO code shows the Pink 84 spring, and Grey 83 being used. I don't recall there being a big height difference between the worn out factory ones, versus when getting the 81112/Monroe's installed.

As far as preferred methods go, since its been so long since I've done it. Would the easiest way to remove/install the new ones be to loosen the UBJ from the UCA, undo the sway bar link, and lower the wheel hub/LCA with a jack to pull the strut free from the yoke? Or do I just get the air hammer and start whacking at the bolt for the yoke/pitman arm to break it free and pull the strut out with it? I've been letting her soak with PB Blaster over the course of a week to hopefully make this removal smooth.

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
As far as preferred methods go, since its been so long since I've done it. Would the easiest way to remove/install the new ones be to loosen the UBJ from the UCA, undo the sway bar link, and lower the wheel hub/LCA with a jack to pull the strut free from the yoke?
Two days ago I installed new struts with a 2" BDS lift/strut mount, and this is definitely the easiest way to install them.
Put the new strut yoke back on the mounting stud, install but don't tighten the 24mm nut, and slowly jack the LCA up, guiding the strut mounting bolts into the holes in the strut tower.
I used MOOG 81114 springs, and picked up about 2" in the front. Not sure if that helps you, though.

Reactions: Mike534x

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
It actually does! I remembered spending like 2 hours on the one side alone trying to get the yoke free, but it does sound much easier going this route. I was looking at 81114's originally, but from what I gathered they were the stiffest of the all the springs and I do recall seeing many say they got 1.5-2" of lift without spacers?

So I goofed up. the 81110's are comparable to the 81-83 series of springs that came on the 2WD SWB LS I6 trucks, while the 81112's are actually 83-85. I completely glossed over the reference part numbers. So it does seem like using the 10's would result in a bit of rake, while the 12's would keep everything somewhat leveled as it is now.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluecorp

Members Online

No members online now.