Restoring faded trim pieces

Realism

Original poster
Nov 25, 2015
Idaho
I've used a number of things to try and get my black trim pieces back to their original color, but nothing seems to last long. Came across a channel "BleepinJeep" on youtube that showcased using a heat gun on the trim pieces to return it to its original coloring. Seems to have worked out well for him, going to try it on mine at some point. I can understand the concept of why this would work and how the slight reforming with heat on the top layer only would return the proper sheen.
Just food for thought.

Reactions: Capote

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
This technique had been discussed a while back, and I remember a few members having great success with it as well.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
This technique had been discussed a while back, and I remember a few members having great success with it as well.
Pretty much the only long-term solution. Usually trim with that texture is hard for paint to stick too, even with adhesion promoter.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The SEM Bumper Coater I used about 5 years ago has adhesion promoter and a flex additive in it, which has held up great. Of course, that's more prep work than pluggin in a heat gun and going to town...

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
I've been using this stuff for the past 5 or so years:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FIU54BW/?tag=gmtnation-20

It's currently the best trim restorer I have ever used. It came in a shoe polish container a few years ago, but that is no longer offered. Don't know why. I guess you can either use the applicator that they provide, any type of disposable sponge or buy some empty foam-top containers on ebay. I've used it on all of the fading trim of my Acadia last year and it still looks new.

*This is important if you buy and try it; Be sure to wear rubber gloves and old clothing when handling it. Ask me how I know...:duh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Blckshdw

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
Try solvents. I have a can of Dupont mid coat adhesion promoter. It's mostly acetone and toluene. I wipe the exterior black trim pieces that have turned grey and it dissolves a thin layer. Use an old rag and plastic bread bag as a glove - the solvent will eat through neoprene and latex gloves.
I did the bumpers and side trim - looks like new:2thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online