Resonator Delete

djthumper

Original poster
Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
OK, I know a couple of people have posted that they have deleted their resonator recently. There was a small discussion in the reality thread about whether to delete or not. I figure with a title of resonator delete it would show up easier in the search as we grow.

Everyone that has deleted their resonator, aka trashcan, speak up and show a pic of your tip. Those that have not completed the delete let us know why you haven't. If you are considering it maybe this will help you see what others have done, or haven't done.

Mine is deleted, I just cut it off at the hanger and haven't put a tip on yet and considering to come out the side. All I have found are 90 degree with corrugation :frown:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
I had a local shop do a 90 out the side, then I painted it with flat black engine paint

P1000567.jpg

P1000566.jpg

P1000565.jpg

Reactions: negron59

MrDJ

Dec 4, 2011
Waxahachie, TX
Had mine removed a while back: (90 degree pipe and a pencil tip)

View attachment 18532

Since I had it removed, my engine whine has been a little higher pitch. When I accelerate quickly, it sounds like the delorean from Back to the Future. Has anybody else heard this sound after removing the resonator?

Attachments

• CIMG2478_800x600.jpg
    CIMG2478_800x600.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 50

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
I’ve thought about it a bit. Still :undecided:

I’ve seen, heard and read about, and from what I understand there is no performance gain or loss. And, that there’s so many ways one can bend pipe to exit out the back, and that the bends many or may not be reason for sound variations, and so many other things.

It does sound cool, but so did the flight deck of an Aircraft carrier, which contributed greatly to my hearing loss. I suppose it can’t be any louder than an A-6 and F-14 taking off directly above my head. I’ll have to kick it around some more before I make the cut.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
barron03 said:
Here's mine just had it done a couple weeks ago.

And IMO, it's the best I've seen :thumbsup:

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
I chopped it off 2 years or so ago. I was planning to add a tip to it, but got lazy. I have gone more then two years now, both lifted and lowered, and have not had any issues with the exhaust dumping a bit past the rear axle.

DSC_2710.jpg

djthumper

Original poster
Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
jbones said:
I’ve thought about it a bit. Still :undecided:

I’ve seen, heard and read about, and from what I understand there is no performance gain or loss. And, that there’s so many ways one can bend pipe to exit out the back, and that the bends many or may not be reason for sound variations, and so many other things.

It does sound cool, but so did the flight deck of an Aircraft carrier, which contributed greatly to my hearing loss. I suppose it can’t be any louder than an A-6 and F-14 taking off directly above my head. I’ll have to kick it around some more before I make the cut.

Just do it Chief! I had to put up with F-16 and F-15s flying over head with the FACPs. :biggrin:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Regulator said:
I chopped it off 2 years or so ago. I was planning to add a tip to it, but got lazy. I have gone more then two years now, both lifted and lowered, and have not had any issues with the exhaust dumping a bit past the rear axle.

DSC_2710.jpg

I think this'll be the best pic :thumbsup:

djthumper

Original poster
Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Regulator said:

DSC_2710.jpg

That is how mine looks right now.

Jakers

Dec 4, 2011
Rockton, Il
When i cut mine I was surprised how heavy it was. When I tipped it up i was even more amazed at the amount of junk that came out of it.

havie22

Dec 4, 2011

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 520
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 513
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324557952.374649.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324557952.374649.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 507

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
djthumper said:
Just do it Chief! I had to put up with F-16 and F-15s flying over head with the FACPs. :biggrin:

Sounds like you'll have the loss one day, hope not!

I do like the clean look of the delete, will have to listen "live" at a few more meets before I decide.

barron03

Nov 20, 2011
Dad-O-Matic said:
You wouldn't have a part number for that tip would you? Did you buy it separately, or did the muffler shop supply it?

Been looking for one like ever since your earlier post, this is the closest I could find.

Pypes Performance Exhaust EVT13

It's a corsa tip I'll see if I can find the part number.
View attachment 18540 Corsa 14030

Attachments

• Corsa-14030---14030a_Square.jpg
    Corsa-14030---14030a_Square.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 523

Foz

Dec 4, 2011
Im not really a chrome guy so i went straight pipe that i will paint flat black come the spring and some warmer weather

photobucket-5972-1328887174677.jpg

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
barron03 said:
It's a corsa tip I'll see if I can find the part number. Corsa 14030

Yikes!! :eek: They're proud of that tip. Cheapest I saw was $270. Guess I'll have to put it on my birthday list.

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
A lot of good looking solutions here....I like the straight tips; very similar to the pipes my Mustang GT had.

Noob questions for you all....how much louder or how much drone is introduced by the resonator delete..??

Dave. :smile:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
davenay67 said:
A lot of good looking solutions here....I like the straight tips; very similar to the pipes my Mustang GT had.

Noob questions for you all....how much louder or how much drone is introduced by the resonator delete..??

Dave. :smile:

For most people, you won't notice any difference at all. When I cut mine off, I could tell the difference when I was standing by that corner of the truck while it idled. Volume will be the same, very slight change in the tone of the exhaust, that's about it. Mainly, it just looks a helluva lot better. :yes:

Foz

Dec 4, 2011
Blckshdw said:
For most people, you won't notice any difference at all. When I cut mine off, I could tell the difference when I was standing by that corner of the truck while it idled. Volume will be the same, very slight change in the tone of the exhaust, that's about it. Mainly, it just looks a helluva lot better. :yes:

This
:thumbsup:

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
cut mine off, w/in 2weeks of getting it.( jan 09) magnaflow tip. from midas. tip & labor < $100.

Attachments

• TB exhaust tip.jpg
    TB exhaust tip.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 44
  • rear shot ex & hitch.jpg
    rear shot ex & hitch.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 44

Oh so slow

Jan 1, 2013
This is an older thread but stumbled across it while searching...I hate the look of the resonator so my question is does it make it any louder without it? I'm not interested in making it louder or even conserned with performance. I just really dislike the look of the gigantic canister hanging underneath it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
It does make it slightly louder at certain rpm's altho I can't hear it over my tires.

djthumper

Original poster
Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
My wife says she can barely notice it. She like the look of it better. She sees the others hanging and kind of snickers bout the look of them now.

Oh so slow

Jan 1, 2013
Lol. I think I'm just gonna do it and see. My last vehicle was stupid loud and a 4 cylinder (I bought it that way). I'm just not a huge fan of loud vehicles unless they are performance based. Maybe I'm getting old. Hopefully I'll get it chopped off today...

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
I'm in hold mode right now. I was gonna cut it off Monday. I have to choose between 2.5" n 3" pipe to replace the resonator with, then I notice my 2.75" tip actually reduces to about 2.25" in the tip. I think I want him to use 3" and then cut the inlet off my new tip and weld the tip to the 3" pipe. I'm not sure but wouldn't using a smaller diameter pipe increase the exhaust flow and make it higher pitched? 2.75" pipe to a 2.25" exit, is that a no no because its more restrictive?

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Denali n DOO said:
I'm in hold mode right now. I was gonna cut it off Monday. I have to choose between 2.5" n 3" pipe to replace the resonator with, then I notice my 2.75" tip actually reduces to about 2.25" in the tip. I think I want him to use 3" and then cut the inlet off my new tip and weld the tip to the 3" pipe. I'm not sure but wouldn't using a smaller diameter pipe increase the exhaust flow and make it higher pitched? 2.75" pipe to a 2.25" exit, is that a no no because its more restrictive?

I wouldn't worry about restrictions at that point in the exhaust system...heck,you just removed a major one.Use what fits and let us know if you notice any change in sound or performance.I've been vacillating about doing mine...Mike.

Oh so slow

Jan 1, 2013
What I was kinda thinking was chop off the resonator then just replace it with a piece of pipe and use the factory turn down to kinda keep a factory-ish look. I wish I could just dump it before the axle but I'm not too sure about the whole suffocating on exhaust gases thing.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
If you look at the pipe, where it goes over the axle, it is pretty crimped. Going to a 2.5" shouldn't hurt.

Also, the resonator is a straight through design. Little or no restriction. It just cuts down on resonance and sound.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Oh so slow said:
I wish I could just dump it before the axle but I'm not too sure about the whole suffocating on exhaust gases thing.

A lot of people just cut the resonator off between the resonator and hanger and leave it that way.

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
Short Bus said:
A lot of people just cut the resonator off between the resonator and hanger and leave it that way.

Thats how mine is, hasn't bothered me of my wife yet.

Oh so slow

Jan 1, 2013
I was thinking about doing that but I've had issues in the past getting inspection stickers without at least a turn down on the exhaust. Plus on a truck it's supposed to go 6" past the cab. I was unsure how that'd go. Worth a shot I guess lol

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Seems to be okay on the I6s,I'm curious as to how it works out on the V8s with DOD(AFM) sytems.There are no aftermarket exhaust systems offered for the 5.3 supposedly because they sound like rice burners when they switch to 4cyl mode but, all that I've read is rather vague on this:undecided: ...Mike.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I have been wondering if they are even offered on the V-8 models. My XUV did not come with one from the Factory.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online