replacing water pump

psycho91

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
What do I need in order to remove/replace the water pump, and also what else do I need to do or remove in order to replace it

TB360

Dec 29, 2011
psycho91 said:
What do I need in order to remove/replace the water pump, and also what else do I need to do or remove in order to replace it

You will need to remove the alternator to gain access to the water pump or do it from the side fender by removing you wheel.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR

lukovics

Oct 11, 2012
If you follow that link above to trailvoy and see the great writeup that is well detailed... include one note inserted before and after the step where you remove the radiator cap. Don't put it down on top the engine, because if you accidentally knock into it and falls where mine fell....it's nearly impossible to get out in my personal experience!

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
TB360 said:
You will need to remove the alternator to gain access to the water pump or do it from the side fender by removing you wheel.

you are thinking of the thermostat.

spearman

Mar 28, 2013
If I'm not mistaken the Fan clutch needs to be replaced at the same time. Also that big nut is not as hard as it looks(wasn't for me). Wrench( 1 7/16") and a couple good whacks will do it. That link will do ya!

zamimj222

Dec 22, 2011
Illinois
What is the torque specs for the water pump bolts? My fan clutch is working fine, The bearing in the water pump is just starting to growl. Do I need to replace the fan clutch or is this just something to do for preventative maintenance while I am already in there?
Thank you all:smile:

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
you do not have to change fan clutch with water pump. you have to remove the fan clutch to get the water pump out, but if it works, no need to replace it.

if you want to change the thermostat while you have the coolant system opened, removing the generator makes it much easier.

you may want to change the thermostat and radiator cap at this time.

my service manual says water pump mounting bolts are 10 n-m (89 inch pounds) (like the transmission pan bolts)

and the pulley to the pump bolts 25 n-m (18 ft lb)

and I know you will want to know that the fan clutch to water pump hub gets 56n-m (41 ft-lb)

zamimj222

Dec 22, 2011
Illinois
meerschm said:
you do not have to change fan clutch with water pump. you have to remove the fan clutch to get the water pump out, but if it works, no need to replace it.

if you want to change the thermostat while you have the coolant system opened, removing the generator makes it much easier.

my service manual says water pump mounting bolts are 10 n-m (89 inch pounds) (like the transmission pan bolts)

and I know you will want to know that the fan clutch to water pump hub gets 56n-m (41 ft-lb)

Thanks! This helped a bunch! Also a side note, if you do not get the fan shroud back in all the way, it will rub on the fan and not let the fan turn. Only setback I had. It took me a little longer than hour & 1/2. Just went slow and took my time. Nothing broke. Everything came out in one piece and went back in in one piece.

dla442

Mar 31, 2012
grand rapids, mi
Not sure what's going on with water pump from the wheel well for removal? I just did my clutch and pump. Need a good strap wrench, patience and gloves and read the very nice thread provided. 2 hour job at best. Be carefull and don't not ding up your fins on the radiator area

zamimj222

Dec 22, 2011
Illinois
dla442 said:
Not sure what's going on with water pump from the wheel well for removal? I just did my clutch and pump. Need a good strap wrench, patience and gloves and read the very nice thread provided. 2 hour job at best. Be carefull and don't not ding up your fins on the radiator area

You guys are awesome and a very big help!! I am grateful for the knowledge base we have here at GMTNation!!! The only pain was getting the fan and shroud out around the top neck of the upper radiator hose.... after that it was smooth sailing, not even a broken bolt!!:smile:

Gevans17

Jan 8, 2012
meerschm said:

How are you supposed to torque the fan clutch nut? Can only tighten it with a crescent wrench.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Gevans17 said:
How are you supposed to torque the fan clutch nut? Can only tighten it with a crescent wrench.

If the center of the nut to the hole on the end of the wrench is exactly 1 foot, you can hang 41 pounds of weight off the hole. It's a crazy idea, but the only one I can think of off-hand without looking into specialty tools.

Gevans17

Jan 8, 2012
IllogicTC said:
If the center of the nut to the hole on the end of the wrench is exactly 1 foot, you can hang 41 pounds of weight off the hole. It's a crazy idea, but the only one I can think of off-hand without looking into specialty tools.

I understand the concept, but its useless information.

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
I honestly don't recall how we did mine, as I did it at work with help from a guy here. I think we probably went more by "feel" than by an actual wrench, if that helps at all. I know it was a real pita because we opted to slip the fan and clutch past the shroud both times...I think I still have cuts from it lol.

Anyways, back to your question, I think you could put a crowsfoot on it which would allow you to attach a torque wrench to it if you really wanted to make sure it was on to the proper torque. At least I think that would work, but I've never tried it. Not sure if they make "crescent" torque wrenches.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
Frankly, I doubt anyone here bothers to do more than "as tight as I can get it with whatever tool I have." It's a big nut that doesn't have a tendency to work itself loose.

To torque it exactly you would use something like this in combination with a pulley/pump holding tool:
View attachment 33869

Attachments

• 31y2Exi1+YL__SX355_.jpg
    31y2Exi1+YL__SX355_.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 49

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
Gevans17 said:

IMHO Get it real snug with any wrench, the rotation and pulsations of the engine will tighten it further if needed.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86