replacing vvt solenoid

Chasedw2

Original poster
Aug 26, 2019
Florida
want to replace the solenoid that is blocked by power steering pump.. whats the easiest way to do that.. ive heard both ways remove all 3 bolts, but i have also heard you can leave one in and pivot it out of the way.. any suggestions or how to vids or articles.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
A lot of the threads your starting are already documented, not that we don't like to answer questions and get to the bottom of things but your being random and your not even providing a reason to what is leading you to want/need to replace stuff.

https://gmtnation.com/forums/forums/article-submissions.90/

Reactions: mrrsm

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
If you leave the one bolt in, you'll have to remove the air filter cover. It's probably slightly easier just to pull all three of the bolts out to replace VVT sensor. If I remember right it was still pretty tight in there without pulling that last bolt from the power steering pump.

You're not going to want to bump that connector at the top of the VVT at all, while trying to squeeze in between the pump and the side of the engine. You could cause early wear/damage and that's where the oil starts to leak from when they start to go bad.

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I think it's fine to leave them up. If you really want them gone, just ask one of the moderators to remove them.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

Chasedw2

Original poster
Aug 26, 2019
Florida
Will do. I will use this forum as a last resort in the future. The to all that helped me on the topics. I may have been a little excited to find a forum specifically designed on a S.U.V. I just purchased and wanted to learn more.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's fine to post questions. Just some things have been covered so much that it just becomes repetitive. In the main forums, there is an FAQ for each and within those are the most requested and useful info we have. For example,
FAQ: Vortec 4.2L I-6

And doing a Google search adding the tag "site:gmtnation.com" will give you the most relevant answers to the most requested questions on this site.

And of course, there are the official repair manuals, available from the link in my signature.

Chasedw2

Original poster
Aug 26, 2019
Florida
Thanks for the heads up. I've been using this site alot. My Gmc has the notorious gas station pump turns off before full. I have filler neck and tubing coming in Thursday. Nice site you got here. Thx for your dedication to the community.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online