Replacing U and L Ball Joints - What Else Should I Do At The Same Time?

yonkerss

Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
I am doing a rockauto order to get the upper and lower ball joints on my '04 Rainier. Planning on doing a tune up (plugs and wires) at the same time, it has the 5.3 V8. I am planning on using the MOOG ball joints (Problem Solvers) and AC Delco Iridium Plugs an AC Delco Wires.

Truck has just over 100k miles on it. Was thinking it would be a good idea to do the front and rear sway bar links as well.

Anything else I should plan on / think about doing? Not planning on parting with this truck anytime soon....

Thanks!

Ace1875

Mar 29, 2012
yonkerss said:
I am doing a rockauto order to get the upper and lower ball joints on my '04 Rainier. Planning on doing a tune up (plugs and wires) at the same time, it has the 5.3 V8. I am planning on using the MOOG ball joints (Problem Solvers) and AC Delco Iridium Plugs an AC Delco Wires.

Truck has just over 100k miles on it. Was thinking it would be a good idea to do the front and rear sway bar links as well.

Anything else I should plan on / think about doing? Not planning on parting with this truck anytime soon....

Thanks!

First of all Welcome. then i recommend checking and replacing sway bar links and bushings. ACDelco makes poly sway bar bushings. i found some ACDelco poly L balljoints for $35 a piece. and raybestos pro poly sway bar links.

While u r down there check at ur fuel tank neck where the rubber hose attaches to the tank. check to see if there are any leaks or fuel residue. there is a recall on the fuel tanks.

yonkerss

Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
Thanks for the info!

Do you think the AC Delco Lower balljoints would be a better option then the Moog ones I was looking at?

I will be sure to check out the fuel tank, if there is an issue there do I take it into a dealer to have them look at / fix it for a recall? I have never dealt with a recall problem before.

Ace1875

Mar 29, 2012
yonkerss said:
Thanks for the info!

Do you think the AC Delco Lower balljoints would be a better option then the Moog ones I was looking at?

I will be sure to check out the fuel tank, if there is an issue there do I take it into a dealer to have them look at / fix it for a recall? I have never dealt with a recall problem before.

MOOG is a very good company, but any polyurethane part is better then conventional rubber IMHO. if you find a leak go to the dealer and say ur mechanic mentioned there is a fuel tank leak. Then the dealer will type in your VIN and see if your vehicle falls under the recall if it does, all inspection and replacement is free of charge. you just sit in the lobby sippin on coffee, staring at soccer moms & old people.

Also while you have your SUV lifted up i would replace the fuel filter also.

EDIT: BTW do a visual check on your tie rods also, turn the wheel and look at the boot.

Ace1875

Mar 29, 2012
I just did a service bulletin search for 04 Buick raindeers :biggrin:

ahem.....DAMN sooo many. but looks like your tank DOES fall into the recall. i would go have these replaced before your balljoint, swaybar and fuelfilter etc.

Results : 2 | All records displayed
Make : BUICK Model : RAINIER Year : 2004
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS LLC
Service Bulletin Number : 07076 Date of Bulletin : OCT 01, 2008
NHTSA Item Number : 10026522
Component : FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY
Summary :
BUICK\CHEVROLET\GMC\OLDSMOBILE SERVICE CAMPAIGN: SEE DOCUMENT SEARCH BUTTON FOR OWNER LETTER. SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT - FUEL TANK MODULAR RESERVOIR ASSEMBLY CORROSION. CSC LETTER WAS RECEIVED. UPDATED 11/6/08. *PE UPDATED 5/5/09. CSC LETTER WAS RECEIVED. *PE

Make : BUICK Model : RAINIER Year : 2004
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS LLC
Service Bulletin Number : 040604003 Date of Bulletin : AUG 01, 2004
NHTSA Item Number : 10011209
Component : FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY
Summary :
VEHICLE IS DIFFICULT TO FILL WITH FUEL OR FILLING STATION PUMP SHUTS OFF BEFORE TANK IS FULL OR FUEL SPITS BACK/OUT WHEN FILLING TANK. *TT

-source GOV NHTSA

Best part is you don't pay for them.

when he is punching your recall & service bulletins in MAKE sure u see what else ur SUV falls under. if it does fall into them replace that too. some repairs have a timeline (mileage or years) after that timeline the dealer does not have to replace them. example the faulty tail lamps circuit board.

yonkerss

Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
Thanks!

This service bulletin search, is this something I can do or do you have to be a mechanic / have access to the GM service site? Never paid attention to these things in the past but in all fairness the two vehicles we have now are the only newer vehicles I have had. We have the '04 Rainier and an '05 Bonneville SLE.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
yonkerss said:

Thanks!

Perfect time to do a lift, wheel spacers and tires.

Ace1875

Mar 29, 2012
yonkerss said:
Thanks!

This service bulletin search, is this something I can do or do you have to be a mechanic / have access to the GM service site? Never paid attention to these things in the past but in all fairness the two vehicles we have now are the only newer vehicles I have had. We have the '04 Rainier and an '05 Bonneville SLE.

Service bulletins are made by the manufacturer's of the vehicle/products/etc. they can only be corrected by the a dealer of that vehicle/products/etc at $0 cost to you. something u will pay at a regular mechanic's shop to fix can be fixed at the dealer for free. These recalls & bulletins are on a gov website for all to access.

i always like to keep an eye on what my cars have a recall/service bulletin on for "just in case".

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online