Replacing transmission lines

Chi06SRGTO

Original poster
May 30, 2014
Anyone have any suggestions or information regarding this job? It looks like a major PITA to get the lines out and back into the transmission without major disassembly and dropping the transmission for access. Mine are rusted good and will probably go at any moment. I am doing the PS lines right now which rusted through, so I might as well knock these out while I have everything torn apart.

Also, I can't seem to find anywhere that sells them locally. Have to order them and have them shipped. Which sucks, because I wanted to knock this out tomorrow. Any universal transmission lines that I could run to replace the OE steel crap?

rmsg0040

Dec 10, 2011
Earlier this year my power steering cooler started to leak, replaced it myself. The very next day one of the transmissions lines started to leak. I looked at the job and decided that it was going to be a pain. Took it to a shop, they purchased the bent lines from GM, took a few hours on their part, cost me around $600.

After about 6-7 years, that was my first time visiting a shop to work on my vehicle. For me it was worth it.

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
The trans lines on my 04 rusted out, and after looking at the job it was to replace them, I cut out the rusted part and spliced in the correct diameter steel brake line. A few members here have done the same thing, some using compression fittings and some using flare fittings. I used the flare for the simple reason they can be tightened if they leak.
The whole job took the better part of a Saturday. The first line took about an hour start to finish, and the second about 5 as my pipe bending skills are a bit lacking.
The repair has lasted about 5 years now.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I lowered my transmission a little bit by just loosening the crossmember bolts, but I didn't drop the whole thing. Having the truck up on a lift made it so much easier at it gave more room to snake them in there. I don't know how to do it only on jack stands.

The only lines I'm aware of are more OE steel lines. I got mine from Rock Auto but I was planning the job ahead of time since I knew they were rusty beforehand. That was 3.5 years ago and the replacements are starting to show signs of rust. Not bad, but still annoying.

Sir ffeJ

Dec 1, 2011
I replaced my lines on jack stands only, lying on my back. I did the same thing and loosened the crossmember to slightly lower the transmission. It sure wasn't easy, but saved myself $600 plus.

Ed H

Oct 18, 2012
I bought all 4 lines (2 long, 2 short) at the dealer and had Pep Boys install them (2 weeks ago) for $287 - before my 10% off coupon. :thumbsup:

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
As said, its not as bad as it looks. Just drop the trans down abit you should be able to get them changed.

Jul 24, 2012
Ed H said:
I bought all 4 lines (2 long, 2 short) at the dealer and had Pep Boys install them (2 weeks ago) for $287 - before my 10% off coupon. :thumbsup:
That's a good price. I got a quote on the rear lines for $400 from a local tranny shop.

Fronts are a snap. I'm still too chicken to try the rears on jack stands.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
I'll just throw out another option. when I did my ls swap in my impala (and the 4l80 in my tbss) I used -6an stainless braided hose. They sell -6an adapters that replace the quick connect fittings in the trans. for the radiator, you can replace those connectors too, or go to PCMofNC and get their -6an to quick connect adapters and use those.

probably $100-$150 in parts and maybe 2 hours labor. if you take your cars apart as often as I do, its easier to deal with, and it looks cool when you have braided hose under the hood :smile: you get to say "oh, thats custom..."

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
On my previous vehicle (Tahoe) I replaced the entire lines with rubber transmission cooler hose. If you route them away from exhaust parts and wire tie them in place, you will never have to mess with them again...Mike.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
Just as another option, this was one job that I had a mechanic do for me as the timing was bad, he ended up patching the lines with some copper line, and used compression fittings. I look them over every now and then to check for leaks, they have held up for some years now.

If I had to do it over myself, I would look at the braided stainless lines mentioned above that sounds like a good idea. I don't think I would even consider using new dealer lines, as the originals went bad here in snowy rust belt conditions, and I'd probably have to change them again because they corroded so fast.

-Jerry

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher