Replacing Steering Column

daredevil95

Original poster
Feb 22, 2021
Milford, CT USA
Hi, I have a 2003 GMC Envoy, I had the key stuck in the ignition problem, tried to replace the ignition cylinder but, the problem turns out to be the housing the key cylnder slides into. I looked up parts and it's about $200 so, I went onto Ebay and bought a used column for $70 bucks. I bought the same exact column with all the buttons on the steering wheel (comes with column). I removed the old column.....this is probably easier then disassembling the column to replace housing? It was pretty easy to remove column, less then 30 minutes. Anyways, I should be receiving the used column in the mail today or tomorrow, My question is....what steps are require for the Envoy to recognize the new to me steering column? I read up on the 10 and 30 minute key procedures or is there another process that could be done? Any advice is appreciated? Thanks, Gene

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You will need a Tech 2 to reprogram VATS. It needs to relearn the resistance of the sensor in the new column.

Reactions: daredevil95

daredevil95

Original poster
Feb 22, 2021
Milford, CT USA
You will need a Tech 2 to reprogram VATS. It needs to relearn the resistance of the sensor in the new column.
I believe I have the pass key system; there is no resistor on the key shaft. It’s in the black plastic part of the key. Hopefully my scanner/programmer can program it? Thanks.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Nope. Envoy has PassLock, no chip in the key. The only one that has PassKey is the Saab 9-7x.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Normally I find a stuck key to either be a bad battery, or a sticky shift interlock.. Just an FYI.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online