Replacing Power Steering Lines?

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Hey everyone, looking to see if anyone has first hand experience with replacing the power steering lines on a 360 with the V8. My new to me Envoy Denali has a very small leak where it meets the steering pump (I can post a picture of it tonight if needed), the previous owner had purchased a repair kit as well the pressure and return lines and left them in the trunk when I got the truck. I did come across the service manuals mooseman posted, but wanted to see if anyone had recommendations on how to tackle this. It doesn't seem like a hard job, but wanted to see if there was advice or a video/picture guide to take it on.

There is occasionally a slight issue when turning the steering wheel to back out of a spot where the front wheels feel like they are skipping on the ground, but not entirely sure if that's connected. Since the weather has been nice I figured I would tackle this so I have one less thing to do this Spring.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
On the I6, it's a fairly involved job because the pressure hose snakes from the left to the right side of the engine by the front frame. On the V8, it should be less difficult because both are on the left side. Getting to the small (7 or 8mm) pipe holding bolt on the rack and pinion is not easy. All I can recommend is to use a proper length 1/4" ratchet socket and extension and patience. What helped me both times was that I had the axle out giving me extra room to get to that bolt.

Oh, and don't reuse that rubber isolator on top of the shock tower as that is what caused it to rust in the first place.

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
On the I6, it's a fairly involved job because the pressure hose snakes from the left to the right side of the engine by the front frame. On the V8, it should be less difficult because both are on the left side. Getting to the small (7 or 8mm) pipe holding bolt on the rack and pinion is not easy. All I can recommend is to use a proper length 1/4" ratchet socket and extension and patience. What helped me both times was that I had the axle out giving me extra room to get to that bolt.

Oh, and don't reuse that rubber isolator on top of the shock tower as that is what caused it to rust in the first place.

Great thanks Mooseman! The leak isn't huge, but it seems to be coming from where it meets with the PS Pump. Would this be the return line, or Pressure line?

This is currently how it looks

sOfCNav.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That would be the pressure line. At a certain age, they all do this. It's just seeping, not a full blown leak. Clean it with brake cleaner and monitor fluid loss.

Feb 18, 2017
Shreveport, LA
My 2001 Blazer is is the same predicament. Thankfully it's not near as involved. Unfortunately, I have my 2wd TB blown apart in the shop so I won't be able to get to it any time soon.

My biggest worry is catching on fire. Power steering fluid is quite flammable.

Nexus1155

Jan 26, 2012
It's usually from the pump seals itself which you will get when you change the pump anyway(don't worry, thats coming too!) Like they said spray it down and monitor, just make sure it never goes onto the belt. If the belt slips off and whacks into stuff at a high rate of speed, you got another issue then...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online

No members online now.