NEED HELP Replacing LH bearing in front diff, have questions.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Was surprised to find a loose roller bearing behind the LH CV axle seal.

Looks like I can simply unscrew the adjuster but is there a procedure for this, special tool needed? Any surprises lurking?

I can get the bearing buy never had to replace one.

I was able to locate the loose rollers.

Screenshot_20210307-145930_Gallery.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: Beacon

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Looks to be the differential bearing adjuster, which includes the small roller bearings.

I scribed where the old one came off, and it didn't take much to knock it loose.

I suspect a few taps once the new one is snug is all it will need. I will try to source what the preload should be but I figure if I don't disturb what's there I should be good.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Dunno if you searched but I found some info:

Reactions: gmcman

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Thanks for the links.

I searched "bearing" but not "adjuster"

That adjuster is pricey for sure, almost $100.

I will try to ensure there's no parts in the bottom of the case, not sure what tore it up but the CV shaft looks good.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I did the one on the escalade... those adjusters absolutely sucked to work with... a shim pack would've made more sense as far as preload goes. IIRC the one in the escalade was just a slip fit and would pop out though. Many classes and problems since then to remember how I did it. All I know is that the preload on the carrier isn't super critical. As long as you go back in with some it'll be fine.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I searched "bearing" but not "adjuster"
I used google to search for front differential bearing. The forum's search function sucks.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Looking over the threads linked, there was talk about tightening the adjuster to 55 foot pounds with new bearings, and 45 foot pounds for used bearings.

I tapped the adjuster with a screwdriver and hammer and it came loose, only needed about 1 tab width. Seems like a far cry from 45 foot pounds.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Looking over the threads linked, there was talk about tightening the adjuster to 55 foot pounds with new bearings, and 45 foot pounds for used bearings.

I tapped the adjuster with a screwdriver and hammer and it came loose, only needed about 1 tab width. Seems like a far cry from 45 foot pounds.

This portion of the service literature from Mooseman might be where that 45 & 55 came from, but here it is in lb, not ft lb.

Screenshot_20210307-201718.png

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
This portion of the service literature from Mooseman might be where that 45 & 55 came from, but here it is in lb, not ft lb.

View attachment 99885
Excellent, thank you.

I won't be able to get the RH side adjusted but with it still untouched I believe I can get the preload correct from the LH side without disturbing the contact pattern.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Excellent, thank you.

I won't be able to get the RH side adjusted but with it still untouched I believe I can get the preload correct from the LH side without disturbing the contact pattern.

In that service literature from Mooseman find the file "Front Drive Axle.pdf" and scroll down to about page 123 or so. There they talk of marking the existing location of the bearing adjuster(s) during disassembly and then just putting it back in the same place on reassembly.

I figured that knowing the whole business would be of use to you even if you cannot follow to the letter, you have the general idea now!

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
There they talk of marking the existing location of the bearing adjuster(s) during disassembly and then just putting it back in the same place on reassembly.

I did that in case it was going back in. Unfortunately there's a portion of the cage missing so it will require a new adjuster.

The adjuster incorporates a roller bearing assembly used in conjuction to the main carrier bearing.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
New bearing adjuster arrived today.

Screenshot_20210311-145025_Gallery.jpg

Rotating the carrier and looking inside the best I can, I don't see anything that would cause alarm, all the teeth I could see look fine.

I will take an endoscope camera and try to see inside for any small broken parts.

This isn't my vehicle, so I was quite surprised and fearful at the same time when I removed the CV shaft and found missing needle bearings.

My first thought was the diff had to be removed, but so far so good.

Reactions: Mooseman

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Update on this, everything is back together, all is working.....except....

Now the seal on the RH side of the front diff is leaking much more than when I started. It was barely wet on that side and now it's dripping, I'm guessing from the new intermediate shaft.

Can this seal be removed with the diff secured against the LH frame? Is there enough room to pry it out and reinstall?

I had my diff out like this when I removed my oil pan, didn't remember how much room I had.

• Sad

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You would have to secure it because I remember they are a bitch to pry out. I replaced all the seals when I had the diff out during my '02's engine swap and that seal just wouldn't come out. I think I used the slide hammer with the hook to yank it out of the loose diff.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
I started another thread in case others need to source a good seal puller.

That's my current situation.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
A little persuasion and the diff rotated downward.

Screenshot_20210315-140625_Gallery.jpg

This was about 2 hours of constant wrenching from the time the coffee was brewed...:coffee:

The A/C compressor needed to be moved forward and the cross member removed, in conjunction to both CV shafts, front propeller shaft, front 4WD actuator, and intermediate shaft.

Now I need a good seal puller.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Yes, will follow up later today or tomorrow. New seals installed, not too difficult, I'll try to get a how-to written up.

I would source the seals now, the outside is avail, the inside has been discontinued through the dealers but still avail from other vendors.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
@Tankcruiser I will do a more thorough write-up but just wanted to get you started.

The front differential outer seal part # is : GM 19257296
The front differential Inner seal part# is : GM 12471617

The outer front diff seal behind the LF CV axle can be installed with a regular flat-base seal installer. The inside seal between the diff and oil pan cannot. There is a raised portion where the intermediate shaft enters and using a flat-base installer will damage the seal.

The rearmost differential mounting bolt is a real peach. You will need a 18MM wrench and will likely need to remove the cross member under the steering gear. The cross member is easy, but observe all the small 15MM bolts that face forward, you can leave two of them, I believe the outer most bolts.

The cross member houses four 21MM bolts that secure the lower control arm brackets. Those require 177 foot-pounds so you will need a big torque wrench. Don't hammer away with an impact to tighten, don't risk breaking loose the welded nuts. Those bolts also keep the frame from sliding in the lower control arm when braking, ask me how I know......alignment shop's fault.

Also this is important, there are two short 15MM bolts that mount in close proximity to the high pressure lines of the PS gear, don't use the long bolts there.

Maybe you can get the diff to turn over once removed, I had to unbolt the A/C compressor and move it forward.

If you have over 140K miles on the front hub and bearings, I would replace those while you are at it.

When you pull the diff seals, observe the small roller bearings of the bearing adjuster just past the seal, make sure they are all there and in good condition.

The seals need to be flush when installing, the last 10% is where you have to beat on them a little as the tabs fold over inside the seal.

I'll add a few pics later from my cell, hope this helps.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online