replacing ignition cylinder lock...02 envoy..passlock gonna be a problem?

redbandit98

Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Hello all, first post here. I recently purchased an 02 envoy to drive around. So far Ive put new wheel hubs, changed all fluids, new 4wd disconnect, new TCCM, new cv joints, and new struts. The thing needs a new ignition cyld lock. I have never replaced one on a vehicle with a factory security. Im gonna get the cyld with the new keys at oreillys. I dont care about keeping the same key and matching the tumblers etc. My thinking is just take the top cover off the column, pull the starter relay, turn the key forward, depress the little "tab" that holds it in and pull it out. Am I missing something or A LOT of something? I come from the old school so there may be some things that don't come apart as easy as I think they do. I have read I may have to do a passlock relearn. I should not be disturbing the electrical portion of the ignition switch so is this still necessary? I throw the term passlock around like I understand how it works. I really do not and have never looked into it or how exactly its tied to the ignition lock. I just dont want to leave the vehicle needing towed to the dealer.

thanks a lot for any help

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
You should be fine, there is no chip in the keys or anything and the theft system just makes sure theres a key there and that you actually turned the cylinder to start it as apposed to hot wiring it... Good luck... If there is anything special I am sure someone will call me an idiot and let you know haha...

redbandit98

Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
McGMT said:
You should be fine, there is no chip in the keys or anything and the theft system just makes sure theres a key there and that you actually turned the cylinder to start it as apposed to hot wiring it... Good luck... If there is anything special I am sure someone will call me an idiot and let you know haha...

it was no problem...I think it may have took my 8 minutes to do. lol

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
redbandit98 said:
it was no problem...I think it may have took my 8 minutes to do. lol
Probably a $400 dollar bill at the dealer

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online