Replacing front struts(shocks?) Entire assemblies, do I need a spring compressor. Please Read details***

BonezCustoms

Original poster
Jan 19, 2020
Mars hill, NC
I know you need a spring compressor to remove the outer spring from the inner shock absorber... not sure if I'm using the correct terms, but I think you get the point. Anyway, I decided to buy the entire front left and right, strut(shock) assemblies to take on the job myself. My point is, the springs are already installed on the shock... can I not just remove the old ENTIRE assembly and stick the new ENTIRE assembly in? I can post pics if needed, but I think this is clear enough. When I remove the new parts from the box, they look just like what is removed from the truck on videos etc. I can see no reason I would need a spring compressor? Do I need something from the old assembly anyway that calls for the compressor? Did I just make it easier on myself by buying the entire assemblies as units(springs and shocks already put together)? The car is a 2002 trailblazer LS 4wd with the 4.2 vortec and the Eaton g82(I believe its called) rear end. It's a great car. The reason I am always ready to spend a little more (buying the whole assemblies here Instead of just the inner shocks)is that the car has 245,000 miles! It got a crate engine at 177,000 miles or so(wife made a crazy decision).It had a new fuel pump about 200,000 And it had the transmission rebuilt at about 220,000 miles. This car has had a lot of work done and I'm slowly but surely hoping to replace EVERYTHING replaceable. I'm all about my maintenance and we dont drive too much so this baby could still last a LONG time... another lifetime Id think honestly.Obviously my wife has a thing for this car(sentimental value), but I love it too. It's got great power and gas mileage, great towing, it has great 4wd and with the Eaton rear end, I usually get though little mud holes etc in 2wd. It's just got a great body shape too, reminds me of Jurassic park or something even though I know it's a completely different vehicle lol. Very sporty looking and has the definite "offroad" vibe.Either way, any advice on MY specific front strut job at hand would be much appreciated. I have the great reference that is GMT NATION so I basically know the procedures etc even though it's personally my first FRONT shock replacement. I did switch the rear air suspension on my old lincoln to coil springs once and have changed rear shocks in several cars, including my trailblazer. I just see no reason I would need the spring compressor with the parts I have... just follow procedure to remove the old shocks and replace them with the new ones, correct? I'd feel alot more confident jumping in if I knew this was the case. Thanks in advance to all who reply! As I stated, I can post pics if necessary. I've been known to ramble and my post may be a little less clear than I think it is Haha. Any other advice regarding things I should consider checking/changing etc. on this OLD baby would be much appreciated as well. I hate waiting for things to break before I fix them for sure!
Jim Brown
Bonez Customs and Collectables
@BonezCustoms on IG

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
Just put the uni struts on. You'll probably need new stabilizer links, and maybe a puller to get the lower strut bolt off the lower control arm.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What he said. You may need a puller as per this thread:

However, if it's having difficulty removing the mount from the stud, don't keep cranking too much as you may damage the threads on the stud (been there). Other methods are a pickle fork, a BFH, and ultimately, heat, but be careful to not burn the rubber bushing that holds the stud in the lower A-arm. Instead, I would just leave the mount on the A-arm and remove the strut from the mount in place.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You don't need spring compressors.

Agree with Moose...Leave the bottom mount on the stud and just remove the strut from mount. No puller needed.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.