replacing flexplate gmc envoy

crazyelvis3577

Original poster
Oct 13, 2015
Tennessee
I am going to be replacing the flex plate in my 2003 gmc envoy and my question is, do I have to completely drain the transmission and drop it completely? I was thinking I could just unhook all lines and linkages unbolt the drive shafts and transmission and just slide it back far enough to be able to replace flex plate. Is this possible and if so how much transmission fluid would I lose if any? I didn't even think to check the flex plate when I changed transmissions and torque converters. Any help or advice/tips is greatly appreciated!!

Reactions: BlazingTrails

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
There is no reason why your transmission would not slide back enough to get to the flex plate, however at that point it will have to be completely loose and would not make much of a difference if you just sat it down since it is a pretty easy trans to pull. If you pull the drive shaft and then plug the tail housing with a shop rag or a Gatorade bottle cap you will not loose much fluid. Don't forget to use locktite on the flex plate bolts.

Reactions: Tiggerr

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
I've done this lots of times. but not on a Trailblazer.
Mark the flexplate before you take it out, and put a matching mark on the new part in the same place. When installing, put the mark in the same position.
The mounting bolts have a pattern, you want to install the flexplate in the same spot.
Also, get some longer mounting bolts (2) so the trans can be slid back and you won't have to rely on the jack as much, plus when you slide it back in there's not as muck struggling, things are lined up already

crazyelvis3577

Original poster
Oct 13, 2015
Tennessee
Would I still need to plug it since the drive shaft would be coming out of my transfer case? after all my envoy is 4wd. I'm thinking I should be able to just disconnect it from the rear and leave it in the transfer case and then disconnect the front shaft and unhook all hoses and linkages and unbolt the transmission and slide it back along the the transfer case just enough to get to the flex plate. When I bolt everything back which locktite should I use, the red or blue since they seem to be for different things? Looks like I'll be tackling this Sunday.

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
You're only sliding the trans back a few inches. Disconnect whatever is stopping it from moving that far.
You only have to slide a combination wrench in there to loosen the bolts.
On a lift, this was an hour job, start to finish, on jackstands, I don't know.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You do realize this is a 7 year old thread?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online