Replacing engine

Gibby

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
To keep this kinda short, I will quickly summarize since I detailed it somewhere else....

Engine was knocking pretty bad, 2006 Envoy Denali XL 5.3L V8 with 120k miles, not the valves,rockers or rod issue. Pulled both valve covers everything looks good there.

So I am in the process of getting it ready to be pulled, ordered an Engine lift from Northern tool for $170.

My question is with a budget of $7,000 ish, what should I put in it?

I know this will fit 19244097 LS3 6.2L 430HP CORVETTE BASED CRATE ENGINE GM Performance Crate Engine - 19211709 at GM Performance Motor & Parts however I am not sure about the electronics part.... Has this been done?

If the above engine is to difficult I think this one will work GM Performance 19165628 GM Performance Parts 5.3L High Output Engine and I will need another re-program for pcm4less to disable the active fuel management/dod.

I am going to put new headers and cats on it also.

I am not worried about the transmission or rear end holding up for to long. They are next on the list.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011

Envoy4Life

Dec 4, 2011
Can you do a direct Z06 powertrain swap (LS7/6L90)?

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
Envoy4Life said:
Can you do a direct Z06 powertrain swap (LS7/6L90)?

the 6 speed trans is the problem there

dry sump oil system is another.

i wouldn't bother. get an lsx427 instead

Envoy4Life

Dec 4, 2011
Gibby said:
I want to keep the 4x4 capability

Oh okay.

jimmyjam said:
the 6 speed trans is the problem there

dry sump oil system is another.

i wouldn't bother. get an lsx427 instead

I thought the 6 speed could fit in the TV body and it wasn't a problem. I think someone on here put a 6 speed in his SWB 5.3L TB.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
Envoy4Life said:
I thought the 6 speed could fit in the TV body and it wasn't a problem. I think someone on here put a 6 speed in his SWB 5.3L TB.

its not a drop in mod like swapping a 5.3v8 with any other gen iv v8 (ls2 ls3 etc). silveronyx with TBM has done it and sells the kit but i don't think the transfer case splines line up, and i'm not sure if the geometry is the same as far as drive shaft length goes. didn't say it was impossible, nothing is impossible.

Gibby

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012

Gibby

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012

Gibby

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
jimmyjam said:
if that engine has a 58x reluctor and yours has a 24x reluctor you'd need one of these
Lingenfelter TRG-002 58x-24x Crank Sensor Trigger Conversion Module - Lingenfelter Performance

crankshaft sensor is black on a 24x reluctor, gray on a 58x reluctor

i'd recommend you do a lot of researching before diving into this. that ebook i linked looks like a good reference

I meant to post that link with my previous post.....

I called the place with the LH9, he said he can do $4,500 for the complete LH9 with a 1year, 12k mile warranty.

He also has a brand new LS3 for $3,900, needs intake and fuel system... Found an intake complete with fuel system for $300

So for $4200 ish I can have an LS3 with 430HP...

I have yet to find another like vehicle that has gone to a LS3, so this is uncharted waters. I did pick up a beater car for $800 until I get this done.

I am going to sleep on it, but as of now that LS3 is looking like a good option

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
Gibby said:
I meant to post that link with my previous post.....
I called the place with the LH9, he said he can do $4,500 for the complete LH9 with a 1year, 12k mile warranty.
He also has a brand new LS3 for $3,900, needs intake and fuel system... Found an intake complete with fuel system for $300
So for $4200 ish I can have an LS3 with 430HP...
I have yet to find another like vehicle that has gone to a LS3, so this is uncharted waters. I did pick up a beater car for $800 until I get this done.
I am going to sleep on it, but as of now that LS3 is looking like a good option
does the ls3 come with all the accessories? i'd recommend getting an L92 truck style intake so you can easily swap everything over off of your old engine. the more similar you can keep things, the better. if you can just get the longblock for cheaper that would be your best bet.

i'd expect the price difference between the l9h (i assume you mistyped up there) and the ls3 be larger. the l9h is almost the same as the ls3 except it has VVT and DOD. not that I would want that stuff (just more stuff to potentially give you issues) but just based on the fact that adding those features costs more money.

don't forget you'll have to get the ecm tuned to work with your newfound displacement and injectors

Gibby

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
jimmyjam said:
does the ls3 come with all the accessories? i'd recommend getting an L92 truck style intake so you can easily swap everything over off of your old engine. the more similar you can keep things, the better. if you can just get the longblock for cheaper that would be your best bet.

i'd expect the price difference between the l9h (i assume you mistyped up there) and the ls3 be larger. the l9h is almost the same as the ls3 except it has VVT and DOD. not that I would want that stuff (just more stuff to potentially give you issues) but just based on the fact that adding those features costs more money.

don't forget you'll have to get the ecm tuned to work with your newfound displacement and injectors

The LS3 is the long block and only comes with oil pan and valve covers, nothing else.....

I did mean L9H, it has everything except alternator.

What causes the difference in horsepower? LS3 being 430 and L9H at 403.

I did find that pcm4less has a conversion kit so I can ran a car style intake.

Envoy4Life

Dec 4, 2011
jimmyjam said:
its not a drop in mod like swapping a 5.3v8 with any other gen iv v8 (ls2 ls3 etc). silveronyx with TBM has done it and sells the kit but i don't think the transfer case splines line up, and i'm not sure if the geometry is the same as far as drive shaft length goes. didn't say it was impossible, nothing is impossible.

So it's pretty hard to do if you have the 4WD system? How about if its 2WD?

Pittdawg said:
A 6.2 liter Envoy just sounds amazingly badass to me...

I would do illegal things for that! :eek:

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
Envoy4Life said:
So it's pretty hard to do if you have the 4WD system? How about if its 2WD?
idk dude go to tbmsport and talk to silveronyx

Gibby said:
So what headers should I get if I go with the LS3?
are you sure you want headers? right now i get more sound coming from my headers than my exhaust. and lts make working on your car a real pain in the ass]

if you have money left over, i'd save it for your eventual trans rebuild because its coming, believe me

Gibby said:
What causes the difference in horsepower? LS3 being 430 and L9H at 403.
theres a few things that play into this... DOD lifters don't operate as well at high rpm, and i don't think the dod heads have hollow stem valves. so for example the top engine speed for a dod engine is supposed to be 6000 rpm vs 6600 for regular

another thing is the cam may be suited for a heavy truck in the l9h vs a sports car in the ls3 so the l9h cam may emphasize low end torque over producing more up high. remember, mathematically, hp is directly proportional to both torque and RPM

there is also slightly higher CR on the ls3 vs the l9h

Gibby

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
Hmm interesting....

I am pretty sure I want to do headers since it will be pretty easy to put them on.

Now I just need to figure out if I get a long block LS3 or a complete L9H... I have posted a poll here, http://gmtnation.com/f24/ls3-l9h-1360/

Once I figure out what I am going with, I will close this thread and open a new one for the engine swap.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
Like I said I'd go with the ls3 because it is a simpler engine. On the l9h dod might work for you... VVT won't for sure.

As far as your poll goes, most people on this site don't know much about V8s so its not your best resource. Try ls1tech or a similar site
Also tbssowners will give you better input on this matter than this site frankly

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR