Replacing climate control light bulbs

carshinebob

Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
6-26-17s 017.jpg

OK. I'm about to attempt replacing the lights in a climate control. Since I have two Bravadas and have parted two more, I've noticed that not even one of them has all the lights lit. Although that's not too surprising since they're all fourteen years old. I've found a number of u-tube vids on "how to" and found a number of bay sellers with 5mm bulbs or LEDs. My questions are; are the LEDs brighter then the originals and can they work with the dimmer? I want it to match the rest of the dash lights when I'm done. Any recommendations for suppliers or any other useful info? Thanks in advance. ~BOB

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
I didn't have the digital hvac like yours but yes the leds are brighter and can be dimmed with the dimmer knob on the dash. If you're going to put leds in the hvac and nowhere else it will stand out like a sore thumb for being so much brighter than the other items you didn't upgrade.

You also want to get leds that have a frosted coating. They diffuse the light better where other leds are meant for spreading light on a spot. Don't forget to wire a resistor in line with one of the legs of the led or you will blow the leds. Also positive and negative matter on leds where the incandescent doesn't care.

Reactions: Blckshdw

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
My :twocents:

I've been swapping from the old school 5mm LED/resistor combo, to these ready made SMD LED setups. They have the resistor built in on the underside of the small PCB, so they can be soldered right in and go.

They are listed as 4.7mm, so more or less the same footprint as the 5mm. And with the through-hole configuration of many of our circuit boards, you can sit the base pretty close to the board, which eliminates hot spotting. So far I've redone all of my modules except for the door switches and dome lights with this style in either white or blue.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BXTRIMO/?tag=gmtnation-20

Reactions: kickass audio

carshinebob

Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll report back in a couple of weeks. Since I have two extra climate controls, I think I might do one with conventional bulbs and one with LEDs and just try them out to see what I like the best. ~BOB

Reactions: jmonica

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
Also the CFL display in the center will not change the color or brightness when you put led's in. It only affects the buttons and knobs, not the center display but IMO that is bright enough.

jmonica

Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll report back in a couple of weeks. Since I have two extra climate controls, I think I might do one with conventional bulbs and one with LEDs and just try them out to see what I like the best. ~BOB
Hi, Did you ever happen to install the bulbs in the two climate controls as you mentioned you might do? I'd really love to see a photo of the difference in brightness if you happen to have a photo. Also if you did LED's did you use SMD or standard mini 5mm LED's? I can't decide which ones to buy. I did this mod once before and bought cheap Chinese made LED's in different colors for the different buttons. Blue for the A/C button, Green for recirculate, etc... It came out looking awesome but the cheapo bulbs I bought started to burn out after not to long. I just bought a replacement unit on eBay and installed it with the stock bulbs as I didn't have to time to do the removal and reinstall LED's. Anyway, I'm going to do LED's again, but this time just all white. Can't wait to get my steering wheel switch bulbs replaced. They've been out for years and bugs me every time I drive it at night. Thanks

Jim

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Hi, Did you ever happen to install the bulbs in the two climate controls as you mentioned you might do? I'd really love to see a photo of the difference in brightness if you happen to have a photo. Also if you did LED's did you use SMD or standard mini 5mm LED's? I can't decide which ones to buy. I did this mod once before and bought cheap Chinese made LED's in different colors for the different buttons. Blue for the A/C button, Green for recirculate, etc... It came out looking awesome but the cheapo bulbs I bought started to burn out after not to long. I just bought a replacement unit on eBay and installed it with the stock bulbs as I didn't have to time to do the removal and reinstall LED's. Anyway, I'm going to do LED's again, but this time just all white. Can't wait to get my steering wheel switch bulbs replaced. They've been out for years and bugs me every time I drive it at night. Thanks

Jim

Jim, I recommend these for your next mod. I was pretty much in the same boat, bought a huge bag of some cheap 5mm flat tops and resistors, and over time many of them failed. This new version gives you SMD brightness, with the (relatively) easy install of the through-hole style. Nice wide beam pattern too, so fewer hot spots compared to the 5mm ones I used to have.

They also have the resistors soldered onto the underside of the PCB, so you don't have to worry about that step, which helps with space management. I put these in my steering wheel buttons for that reason, since I bought them used and all but one bulb was dead.

61GjjLjrvzL._SL1000_.jpg

_encoding=UTF8

Reactions: jmonica

carshinebob

Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
My life got busy after I started this project. So it's on the shelf for the moment. I'll get back to it soon. ~BOB

jmonica

Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Jim, I recommend these for your next mod. I was pretty much in the same boat, bought a huge bag of some cheap 5mm flat tops and resistors, and over time many of them failed. This new version gives you SMD brightness, with the (relatively) easy install of the through-hole style. Nice wide beam pattern too, so fewer hot spots compared to the 5mm ones I used to have.

They also have the resistors soldered onto the underside of the PCB, so you don't have to worry about that step, which helps with space management. I put these in my steering wheel buttons for that reason, since I bought them used and all but one bulb was dead.

61GjjLjrvzL._SL1000_.jpg

_encoding=UTF8
Awesome, thanks a lot for the information. I just ordered 20 of them and can't wait until they arrive tomorrow. to install them. Thank You again!

Reactions: Blckshdw

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.