Replacing 4wd selector switch

Chickenhawk

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Yes, I am too stubborn to try the old site. Is there an easy way to replace the 4wd selector switch on a Trailblazer? I don't really relish taking the dash apart at minus 30 degrees just to get access to the back of the switch so I can depress the two prongs and pop the switch out the front. Anyone tried reaching in behind after popping off just the kick panel? Anyone tried prying (carefully) with a screwdriver to see if it pops out the front?

Mine has been going for a while. In the past few months, I have had to exercise it three times to get it to work. I see NAPA carries two switches. One is likely the Dorman (7301687) which I don't like because the light seems really dim. The other seems to be an Echlin switch (FWD53). I hate to go to the dealer for a genuine GM part (GM 25965895) which is a bit different than the one I have in there anyway. If I could pop it out easily, I might even try some contact cleaner spray inside to see if that works.

gmac310

Dec 4, 2011
All I did for my Envoy was to pull on top of center stack by vents and you should have enough room to reach your hand in there and squeeze the tabs that hold the switch in. No need to undo complete panel, should be the same for a TB.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:iagree: When I've had to take my HVAC module out, or get the rear wiper switch out, I don't remove the bezel, just lift it out of the way far enough to get my hand in there to release the clips, and call it good.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I just pried mine with a flat blade from the dash until the clips went flying and the switch flew apart lol. Unplugged the remains of the switch, plugged in the new switch, and snapped it back in the dash.

Not ideal I guess but it worked and saved me from yanking part of the dash apart lol.

Reactions: Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I finally replaced my switch today. I was in NAPA getting a new relay so I got the 4wd switch too. $49 Canadian. I got the Echlin (NAPA FWD53) because it looked much higher quality when I saw both side-by-side. The switch just pops out the front. Easy as pie. I took a small screwdriver and carefully started prying, and one side came out, then the other. You don't even need to depress those spring tabs; they are there just to add tension, not to stop it moving forward. One harness plug and it took longer to test all the modes than it did to replace the switch. The Echlin even has a more positive 'click' into each mode than the factory switch. The only problem - which isn't really a problem - is that the switch uses arrow symbols to show hi or lo. My old one told you in plain English: 2Hi, Auto4WD, 4Hi and 4Lo. The lights on the Napa switch seems as bright or brighter than the stock switch. So far, very pleased.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well you can blame the Frenchies for that because it has to be language neutral, which is also why we have circles instead of E and F for fuel, an engine instead of "Service engine soon" and a yellow gauge light instead of "check gauges".

Reactions: Trkdrvremt

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
The OEM GM replacement switch I got has the dumb arrows too. And my Silverado has pictures for all the idiot lights on the dash instead of words.

Although, GM couldn't spell "gauges" correctly anyway ("check gages" lol).

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's not a Canadian thing because we use "gauges" too!

Now cheque, mould, Z (zed), neighbour, colour is another thing :biggrin:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
You Canucks are as bad as the Brits throwing extra letters in words sometimes!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's a labour of love :loveintheair:

Reactions: xavierny25

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online