Replacement Thottle body Brands

smt 59

Original poster
Looking to replace the throttle body, anyone have any recommendations on brand names?
The reviews for Cardone are not very positive and the dealer is expensive.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Whats the stealership want for a TB? RockAuto has the AcDelco TB for $210. The Cardone must be cheaply made because it only sells for $117.

smt 59

Original poster
The stealer wants just under $600 and the Cardone is $425 remanufactured, there is one that is new as well by Blue Streak for $180(never heard of them) I would think for the price difference it is poorly made.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'd try a used one from a junker. Not a high failure item so chances are it would be good.

smt 59

Original poster
I was suprised that it is going, irratic idle surges at stop lights spuraticly though, I was thinking of waiting for a complete failure before I do anything but had the one go in my wifes Equinox and was lucky it did not need a tow. Not much at the wreckers around here for these trucks. One good thing is no check engine light or codes yet just keep cleaning it as required. If it gets worse then I will have to bite the bullet and get one from the dealer, not into expermenting anymore with names I don't know or have heard of to save a buck, sometimes it's more aggrevation that it's worth. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Something like a throttle body I'd do OEM or nothing. I don't trust some of these other brands' electronics.

Idle surges can be caused by all sorts of other things besides the throttle body though. Do you know anyone else with a 360 that you could temp borrow a throttle body from to verify?

Reactions: dmanns67

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
First thought is that if your only symptom is sporadic idle surging then it's not your throttle body (or at least not a sign it's failing). Throttle bodies do fail but it is extremely rare and usually obvious.

Idle surging could be a dirty throttle body, vacuum leaks, misfires, dirty MAF (can't see what year you have), bad IAT sensor, bad gas, etc. When you say surging: does it run up to about 900RPM or so? That's the default for the PCM when it detects it is having trouble holding the normal 625 idle speed. That would indicate that the PCM sees a rough idle (for any number of reasons) and is intentionally switching to the higher setting. Oddly, none of this will set a code.

If your throttle body was mechanically or electrically failing then you would almost certainly get a code and/or REP. If you do go for a replacement then definitely stick with OEM and used would likely be fine (as others have stated)--eBay?

Reactions: smt 59

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
He brings up a good point. Do you have Torque by chance or similar? Might be worthwhile to check real time sensor status like current misfires, intake temps, etc just to see if anything sticks out.

Reactions: smt 59

smt 59

Original poster
Thanks all for your responses, the idle at a stop will go up and down and run rough and occasionally when I am just at a cruise speed 60 KMS the engine starts doing the same with up and down RPM's. I clean the TB regularly as well as the IAT sensor, we did run a live scan and found nothing as well as no codes, even re did the PCM tune and nothing shows up. As far as I have checked there are no vacuum leaks or misfires , runs great for the most part just this occasional bump in the road, if it does end up being the TB it will be OEM.

2005 SLT

He brings up a good point. Do you have Torque by chance or similar? Might be worthwhile to check real time sensor status like current misfires, intake temps, etc just to see if anything sticks out.
Not sure what you mean "do I have torque " we did check all real time data and all was within normal range.

Something like a throttle body I'd do OEM or nothing. I don't trust some of these other brands' electronics.

Idle surges can be caused by all sorts of other things besides the throttle body though. Do you know anyone else with a 360 that you could temp borrow a throttle body from to verify?
I'm a lone wolf in this area, no one with a ride like mine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Merged your posts, please use the multiquote function :smile: (the +Quote button next to Reply)

Torque is an Android app that can do things like real time sensor readout, code reading/clearing, etc when paired with a Bluetooth OBDII dongle. Sounds like you've already done all that though.

Sucks that no one else you know around you has the same platform. Would be a good way to test for sure. If it wasn't so expensive to ship to you I'd send you mine for testing purposes (can't drive mine anyway), and if that was the issue I'd sell it to you cheap + exchange yours so I could still move mine around the driveway until I'm done parting out and it is scrapped.

smt 59

Original poster
I realized after all the posting that I should have multi quoted, next time. Much appreciated with the switching option but yes very pricey to do so. I may keep the scanner attached for a day and see if it picks anything up, I still have the old school tool, most of the folks at work or friends either lease or have bought foreign and not into this stuff like we are.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
If you're interested, I have an original fully functional 2002 Envoy TB sitting in my garage watching my tools. Shoot me a reasonable price and I can have it shipped to you.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online